Prog vs Metal - which one do you stand for

Iki-ilkkuja

Mar 29, 2007
Turku, Finland
Previously Opeth had proggy parts in death metal songs, but as we've seen with Ghost Reveries and Watershed, it's more about having death metal parts in prog songs. That's probably why some dislike them. But there's also those who think (among myself) that both of them are the best material Opeth has ever composed.

i love my prog music, jethro tull, pink floyd, king crimson, yes. but when it comes to opeth i think the metal should come first. for me, the hard edge prevents their best music becoming overly indulgent, keeps the intensity up. i found GR too *floaty*.

I stand for good fucking music.

Genre is a musical term for stereotype.

+several million. ...

the best thing about Opeth and the other bands I really like is that no two records sound the same...always progressing..can you imagine what the next Opeth record might sound like after Watershed?.....

Although I like bands like Opeth, The Mars Volta, and so on, that supposedly fit into the category, I find the term prog/progressive really wanky. It's like saying 'we're better than other bands, because unlike anyone else, we're progressing music'. There's progression going on in every genre pretty much, but prog seems to be a genre based around the fact that everyone who plays it thinks they're gods fucking gift to music.

On the other hand, most metal these days is stale and derivative, and very few 'metal' bands that I listen to are purely metal rather than having some other sort of element mixed in or some kind of unique edge to them. Usually I avoid mentioning metal specifically when people ask what kind of music I like because I know they'll assume I mean the kind of shit they play on MTV2 or Scuzz.

i love my prog music, jethro tull, pink floyd, king crimson, yes. but when it comes to opeth i think the metal should come first. for me, the hard edge prevents their best music becoming overly indulgent, keeps the intensity up. i found GR too *floaty*.

Spot on, i beleive the last time that combination of which you speak was in BWP, the hard edge is softened somewhat after this album, okay, Deliverance was hard but lacked the proggy syntimentality and intensity. On Watershed, for the greater part, i find it generic sounding at the moment some nice stuff in there though like Burden, Heir Apparent, and Coil though im not sure of Natalie's vocals, it sounds abit i think a harmony with her and mike on the last chorus would have kept the whole thing together for me but what do i know

^lol at those who are caught up in the corporate genre creation experiment to control your minds.

I tend to mainly listen to prog the most because dynamics is the most important thing to me. I find that heavy parts hit you the hardest when sparsely used, but it's a very important aspect none the less.

I am definitely on the metal side of the fence, but I have to admit that I don't know how much further metal music can go. I mean it can only get so heavy, so downtuned, so fast, etc. before it just gets retarded. But yeah, I'd take Wreath any day over Burden or something like that. Prog is alright, but the whole name "progressive music" in itself is dumb because when you think of progressive music, usually a certain band/sound comes to mind, when if it actually was progressive, you couldn't do that because the genre itself would always be progressing. o_O

hmm.... when I think prog. I think many things, and they're all different. Porcupine Tree, Oceansize, Therion, Dream Theater, Opeth, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, etc... They all have their own sound.

Prog is all about the meshing of musical styles so they're obviously going to sound pretty different especially when compared to bands who stick to one genre. That should just be obvious.

I stand for good fucking music.

Genre is a musical term for stereotype.

Quoted for fucking truthfulness. It's all about musical craftsmanship, which can either be technical proficiency, songwriting or both (preferably).

There's one thing I don't like and that's Techno (in the broadest sense of the word). People who take samples from existing music and just drop some drum-loops over it and try to shove it down everybody's throat saying it's 'new'

This includes rap, hiphop, techno, rave and mostly all the latest R&B Billboard crap. I can rspect and appreciate music I don't particularly like, as long as it's original. Using someone's music and just singing a differnt text over it is NOT original.