Prog vs Metal - which one do you stand for

^Might not be original, BUT BOY IT SURE IS POPULAR AND SELLS PRETTY GOOD!

A good example of this would be Eminem's 'Stan'.

I stand for good fucking music.

Genre is a musical term for stereotype.

Good post. Defining music is sometimes necessary though, since we've got so much music in the world. The term progressive, in my mind, is just a label for music that have a lot of influence from more than one genre.

I gotta stick to my allegiance. Metal ftw. Not that I dislike prog...
well, I do dislike prog in most cases (DT, Yes, Genesis, blah blah blah),
but there are a few bands who can do it right. Opeth is several of them.

Hmm... should've made a poll out of this. Because I really belive that those who swear in the name of prog like Watershed more than those with a metal background. And the other way around - I dislike Deliverance and Orchid as they're a bit too metal for my taste.

I'm into the metal, though so far I'm enjoying Watershed.

Someone posted this:

I tend to mainly listen to prog the most because dynamics is the most important thing to me. I find that heavy parts hit you the hardest when sparsely used, but it's a very important aspect none the less.

I think of it as the other way round - the "light" parts are that much better when hardly used (Eg: Demon Of The Fall, When, Leper Affinity and so on)

Quoted for fucking truthfulness. It's all about musical craftsmanship, which can either be technical proficiency, songwriting or both (preferably).

There's one thing I don't like and that's Techno (in the broadest sense of the word). People who take samples from existing music and just drop some drum-loops over it and try to shove it down everybody's throat saying it's 'new'

This includes rap, hiphop, techno, rave and mostly all the latest R&B Billboard crap. I can rspect and appreciate music I don't particularly like, as long as it's original. Using someone's music and just singing a differnt text over it is NOT original.

I guess you didn't listen to the good ones.

Try Moshic, and tell me it's not new =)

Anyway, classification is a good way to generate bands having absolutely no creativity, just "making fucking good [fill in genre]".

I would have to say metal.

But i think prog has the one thing that i dont like in metal.

and thats a little bit of creativity.

I'm probably overall more into metal (not necessarily extreme, could mean death metal, could also mean iron maiden or katatonia or something) than prog, but I still think GR and WS are some of Opeth's best material (though I wouldn't be here if I didn't love it all). Probably because a metal fan can still appreciate amazing production, musicianship, and a bit of creativity.

I would say I like both the same, because I really love both of them, but facts are that I am more into metal and more brutal stuff, also darker, or whatever.