PROTOOLS & Windows

MR NINE

Jan 25, 2004
Portugal
www.putfile.com
HI there!

I'm having trouble with the bloody hardware buffer size; no matter how I change it while I'm recording if I do a punch in protools stops and I get this error message about "... try increase H/bufer size or remove hardware from firewire port..." so as soon as I increase it start recording again; new punch in and there it goes "... try decrease H/buffer size or remove bla, bla..." I'm going nuts with this!!! Oh and there's more: if it don't stops as soon as I punch in the signal keeps going to disk but then It stops playin' back! WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!??
Any knowing issues about this? Really apreciated some help or info about it, thanx!
I decide to post this thread before going deep into the bloody digidesign Q & A about errors and stuff. just got tired of reading a lot and going nowhere!:ill:
Any help?!?!?:erk:

PS - I know, I know! switch to mac and get free of trouble! soon, soon!...

MR NINE said:
HI there!

I'm having trouble with the bloody hardware buffer size; no matter how I change it while I'm recording if I do a punch in protools stops and I get this error message about "... try increase H/bufer size or remove hardware from firewire port..." so as soon as I increase it start recording again; new punch in and there it goes "... try decrease H/buffer size or remove bla, bla..." I'm going nuts with this!!! Oh and there's more: if it don't stops as soon as I punch in the signal keeps going to disk but then It stops playin' back! WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!??
Any knowing issues about this? Really apreciated some help or info about it, thanx!
I decide to post this thread before going deep into the bloody digidesign Q & A about errors and stuff. just got tired of reading a lot and going nowhere!:ill:
Any help?!?!?:erk:

PS - I know, I know! switch to mac and get free of trouble! soon, soon!...

Can you tell more details about your Computer?
Is it in Digis Compato List?
www.digidesign.com/compato
What kind of hardware is it CPU, amount of RAM, Interface?, what kind of HDD are you recording to?
Wich version of PT are you using???

I also strongly recommend http://duc.digidesign.com/

Rock on!

fabz

HI!
yes it is in the compato list besides I bought every component carefully to avoid trouble; here's the details:

AMD 2.6 / MBoard MSI K7 N2 delta/ 1GB ram/ firewire pci (sorry don't remember wich but it's compat. at least at the time - one yer ago) HDD IDE Maxtor 7200 rpm 60GB (internal)/ PT version 6.4 with digirack 002.

It's funny know that you asked the PT version!?! When I was running the 6.1.1 version it was working fine!
Thanx for your interest and help!

PS - I'm working with external synch by s/pdif from my MOTU digitaltimepiece (main clock of my studio) and I find my system much more stable and reliable since I locked everything from the motu. (also using/running adats for converters and recording)

MR NINE said:
HI!
yes it is in the compato list besides I bought every component carefully to avoid trouble; here's the details:

AMD 2.6 / MBoard MSI K7 N2 delta/ 1GB ram/ firewire pci (sorry don't remember wich but it's compat. at least at the time - one yer ago) HDD IDE Maxtor 7200 rpm 60GB (internal)/ PT version 6.4 with digirack 002.

It's funny know that you asked the PT version!?! When I was running the 6.1.1 version it was working fine!

PS - I'm working with external synch by s/pdif from my MOTU digitaltimepiece (main clock of my studio) and I find my system much more stable and reliable since I locked everything from the motu. (also using/running adats for converters and recording)

Well, you say you're recording to your system drive? That may cause the problems! ALWAYS record to a seperate drive!!! Not only a seperate partition!
Pro Tools is not meant to record to your systemdrive!

I record to my System drive all the time in Pro Tools on my Mac with no problems. And I'm using an MBox 1, straight up ghetto style beeyatch! :err:

For serious production though, I use a MOTU 828 Mk II with Digital Performer... Bro Tools I use for compatibility with all the Bros Tools bros out there.

Kazrog said:
I record to my System drive all the time in Pro Tools on my Mac with no problems. And I'm using an MBox 1, straight up ghetto style beeyatch! :err:

For serious production though, I use a MOTU 828 Mk II with Digital Performer... Bro Tools I use for compatibility with all the Bros Tools bros out there.

LOL.

Recording to the system drive is NOT recommended. Try that shit at 96k and you'll get the Mac version of the "Blue Screen Of Death". Very scary, indeed!

metalkingdom said:
LOL.

Recording to the system drive is NOT recommended. Try that shit at 96k and you'll get the Mac version of the "Blue Screen Of Death". Very scary, indeed!

Yeah I'd never do it for a serious project, but for little short recordings with low track counts at 24bit / 44k (which is all that Andy records at anyway) on my PowerBook it's fine.

The main reason not to record to a system drive is that you don't want your recording space to collide with your virtual memory swap file space. Virtual memory is evil and I wish it could be disabled for recording. Unfortunately, OS X doesn't allow you to disable the virtual memory, they've decided it's necesarry even if you have 2 gigs of physical RAM. Same deal in Windows. Sign of the times I guess. Sometimes I still miss my Amiga.

fabz said:
Well, you say you're recording to your system drive? That may cause the problems! ALWAYS record to a seperate drive!!! Not only a seperate partition!
Pro Tools is not meant to record to your systemdrive!
No man! That's the drive I use for recording; ONLY! I have another for system and software stuff. (sorry I didn't included it in the list)
:cool:

You know, I tried to avoid this thread for as long as possible, but I finally decided to click on it and see what was up.

When I was running ProTools on my fully compatible Intel P4 3.2gHz 2gb DDR and Western Digital 250gb 10k RPM external FW400 drive, I got the same exact problems. I wasn't connected to the net. The only thing on the fucking PC was ProTools. Clean as shit XP Pro install. Every time I tried to record, "increase h/w buffer size", I increased it, started to record again, three seconds later, "decrease h/w buffer size", decreased it, started to record again, three seconds later, "increase h/w buffer size".

I was a FREQUENT user of the DUC, and nobody could help me a bit with my problem. So, I gave up using ProTools entirely with a PC system. Works perfect on both of my Macs though, very odd. On my PowerBook I have 768MB RAM, and I recorded to the system drive every time. 10+ tracks, using plugs, for mixing...I mean, a normal little demo session. Not once a problem. I couldn't even lay guitar tracks down to a fully bounced DFH2 (ONE WAV FILE) drum track using my PC. I switched to Vegas for my PC and got an M-Audio 1010 rackmount for it.

~006

YEP! That's true! I work in another studio with a Mac G4 + digi001 PT version 5.3. and it's...
...well I even forget that I'm recording with a computer!!! But that's what I have for now; the bloody windows! eh, eh.

todays recording was a nightmare! increase, decrease. works for a few minutes and then it goes again

"hey past me the screwdriver, please! no screwdriver? ok can be the suissknife! no? ok!... DO YOU HAVE A HAMMER?!?"

I'm a Cubase guy myself so I've never delt with Digidesign, but I'm sure they have a support department, have you gave them a call?

MR NINE said:
HI!

Upgrade to 6.5.3 atleast?