QUEENSRYCHE "AMERICAN SOLDIER"....

It's funny, what with you guys talking about RMAQ on here and all, that I got nostalgic about the RMAQ days today

Shaun!!! Yep, funny how the nostalgia bug is biting me lately. Must be the whole turning 35 thing. :p

Hey Shawn .. how goes it? I haven't bothered to get a Facebook page yet ... might not bother since I've pretty much grown tired and annoyed of the Myspace type thing.

You need to get one. It's much better than MySpace. I was very resistant, until they made me do it. It's actually kind of neat. Urban will get a Facebook page about the time hell freezes over, though, so if you stay in that camp, you'll have company.

Besides, I can just post pics on there instead of having to put them on photobucket and send a link. You're missing some real doozies from Patrick's 21st birthday party last night if you're not my Facebook friend. :D

Shaye

LOL. Whose the marketing genius who thought it would be a good idea to let people listen before they buy? Doesn't he understand the Queensryche marketing strategy... sell the band's name, not their current music? Duhhh...

Zod

I think it would be a hoot if you would listen to the new Ryche disc, and then review it .. as only you can. What do ya think?

Britt

Well, I see I am in the very, very small minority:heh: but having finally given this a listen, I like it.

I was never a huge fan to begin with, so I went in with no expectations, and I liked what I heard. Not a fan of the narration parts, but I can live with them. Am seeing them in Cleveland in May, and am looking forward to hearing some of this live.

LOL. Whose the marketing genius who thought it would be a good idea to let people listen before they buy? Doesn't he understand the Queensryche marketing strategy... sell the band's name, not their current music? Duhhh...

Zod
I wasn't going to buy it since everyone seems to be trash talking the new album. However, contrary to your statement, I might actually buy it after listening to the album for free. I thought it was actually decent. I guess since I'm not an old geezer, I don't hold these seemingly sentimental Queensryche values. Its a lot better than that shit Metallica released.

I was wondering about this album... but instead of d/l it off of Amazon.com I opted for some oldies but goodies that I knew for sure I would enjoy... Europe! I totally forgot how much I used to like this band as a teenager... can anyone say "rock now, rock the night!" :D

I saw them at Jaxx a couple years ago - they did a small stint in support of 'Start in the Dark' - f'n great disc.. I haven't picked up 'Secret Society' yet but if it's as good as SitD, it's a MUST own..

The shit they've put out for a while doesn't diminish my love for their earlier work, and I still spin the older albums from time to time.

I will be skipping this one though....thanks for the heads up.

I wasn't going to buy it since everyone seems to be trash talking the new album. However, contrary to your statement, I might actually buy it after listening to the album for free. I thought it was actually decent. I guess since I'm not an old geezer, I don't hold these seemingly sentimental Queensryche values. Its a lot better than that shit Metallica released.

Clearly anyone who doesn't like their recent work is old and stuck in the past. It can't possibly because any of it sucks. :p

GZ, you broke off your 40 day fasting from outside music to embrace a list of 2008 standouts, further you broke your TEN year abstainence from Queensryce's music to review a recent release by the epic band; maybe just maybe, we can lead you FROM a Lifelong ban from Jesus as the Christ...=) btw eager to hear what your input is on "American Soldier"...

FALCON

Clearly anyone who doesn't like their recent work is old and stuck in the past. It can't possibly because any of it sucks. :p

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it seems like people expect a band to reproduce their "original" sound on modern releases, and if they've changed direction over time, then their material must suck.

My favorite albums by the band have always been "Rage For Order" "Operation Mindcrime" and "Empire". However, "American Soldier" isn't that bad in my opinion (I couldn't stand some of their other more recent releases). Just because it doesn't sound like their original sound doesn't make it a bad album.

Come to think of it, the first Queensryche albums I heard were "Promised Land", "Hear In The New Frontier" and "Q2K". So for a while, that was the Queensryche "sound" I knew.

To someone who's never heard Queensryche before, I wouldn't be surprised if they really enjoyed it.

I don't expect Queensryche to do anything other than write songs I think are interesting. More often than not over the last several albums they have failed to do that ... in my opinion at least. Their material is not progressive .. it's not catchy .. the musicanship is nothing special. It all adds up to failure in my book.

Britt

So, wait...Been taking in this great long listen to this "Great Rychean " album, I think peeps need to listen.

SMOKEY STYLE EVEN!!