Queensryche vs. Queensryche

The fart noises on the Tatesryche track almost made it worth listening to.

So, in all honesty, I will say that the Toddsryche track was good. However, I have been privy to the whole thing and I wonder why this was the song that was promoted. It's by far one of the weakest tracks. That doesn't make it bad, but I wouldn't have expected it to be the sneak peek.

The Tatesryche track sucks, but it's got the hook. After hearing both tracks I can't remember what the first one sounded like, but I have Tate's shitty chorus stuck in my head.

All that being said, The Toddsryche record is an asskicker. I heard it from end to end and I promise that fans will be very pleasantly surprised, especially after this somewhat meh preview.

The Tatesryche record will probably sell 1800 copies.

The fart noise seems to come from him singing that "w" at the beginning of "would", which is.. weird? I guess it's a recording error they overlooked.

Or farts come out of his mouth. Either way.

Honestly,trying to find something redeeming from any release bearing the QR name (Regardless of version) is as much of a value-added activity as finding something redeeming in a new Metallica album.....

Bottom line, if you literally have to go, "Well,there is a cool vocal line at 1:15, and the prechorus is cool, etc, etc, etc" you are just simply reaching and not accepting the fact that QR will forever now just be a local suburban summerfest band...

While I agree with the idea of "lowering your standards," I think some folks are looking at it the wrong way. I don't think it's about expecting mediocrity from the various members of this band. Rather, I think it's more about just listening to the music for what it is and not holding it up against the seminal releases of the past. Let's face it: no single band that stays together half as long, let alone as long as, Queensryche is going to have an entire catalog full of genre-defining, genre-bending, or universally cherished albums. There are plenty of bands that have released albums along those lines years ago and are continuing to release music that may never receive those same accolades but is still enjoyable. Does that mean they should just give up? That's a ludicrous thought.

That said, I dig "Redemption." Is it a mind-blowing song? Not by a long shot. Is it still enjoyable. I think so. Anyone who is expecting an album that can stand toe-to-toe with "Rage For Order" or "Operation: Mindcrime" is out of their mind. The same goes for people who immediately dismiss the new music because they "just know" it's not going to be as good as the stuff they made 25-30 years ago. This is a band that spent many years in mediocrity and now wants to rediscover themselves. They're taking baby steps to get back into the sound that made them famous. They could have half-assed it like they did with "Operation: Mindcrime II," but to these ears, they're not doing that. I look forward to hearing the rest of the album.

As for "Cold," I think Hammerlock is on the right track. This song isn't bad, but it doesn't sound like a band effort. This is definitely "The Geoff Tate Show" under the guise of Queensryche. As distinctive as he sounds, Tate alone is not Queensryche. His thinking so will be his downfall.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

While I agree with the idea of "lowering your standards," I think some folks are looking at it the wrong way. I don't think it's about expecting mediocrity from the various members of this band. Rather, I think it's more about just listening to the music for what it is and not holding it up against the seminal releases of the past. Let's face it: no single band that stays together half as long, let alone as long as, Queensryche is going to have an entire catalog full of genre-defining, genre-bending, or universally cherished albums. There are plenty of bands that have released albums along those lines years ago and are continuing to release music that may never receive those same accolades but is still enjoyable. Does that mean they should just give up? That's a ludicrous thought.

That said, I dig "Redemption." Is it a mind-blowing song? Not by a long shot. Is it still enjoyable. I think so. Anyone who is expecting an album that can stand toe-to-toe with "Rage For Order" or "Operation: Mindcrime" is out of their mind. The same goes for people who immediately dismiss the new music because they "just know" it's not going to be as good as the stuff they made 25-30 years ago. This is a band that spent many years in mediocrity and now wants to rediscover themselves. They're taking baby steps to get back into the sound that made them famous. They could have half-assed it like they did with "Operation: Mindcrime II," but to these ears, they're not doing that. I look forward to hearing the rest of the album.

As for "Cold," I think Hammerlock is on the right track. This song isn't bad, but it doesn't sound like a band effort. This is definitely "The Geoff Tate Show" under the guise of Queensryche. As distinctive as he sounds, Tate alone is not Queensryche. His thinking so will be his downfall.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

+1
absolutely excellent post!!! That's exactlyl as I see it. Everyone expects the Tateless Ryche to produce another Rage or Mindcrime, and that's just not going to happen. Me on the other hand, all I want is a band that loves to have fun and make DECENT music above the level of what they've been making the last several years, and who loves performing. That's exactly what I'm seeing so far with the Tateless Ryche...

Listening to both "Redemption" and "Cold" again back to back, I think I like the feel of "Cold" better...it's moodier, the piano in the background is cool...I like the chorus to "Cold" better than "Redemption"...

I've been bashing Tate pretty bad, but he doesn't look that bad in that "best I can video". I'm seen him be much much worse then that....The passion is lacking a bit though.

After seeing ToddRyche 2 weeks ago, this performance reminded me why I got bored with Queensryche when Geoff was still in charge. Lifeless performance, going through the motions. The band sound ok, but after seeing Ryche with Todd absolutely KILL every tune live..I can't watch this other trainwreck

Came across this "recorded from radio" song from the new Latorre QR - sound is obviously crud but I like this song more than the one they released (if it is indeed the new QR):

Last edited:
I'll confirm it is indeed the new QR.

I cannot for the life of me understand why you open up the disc with a mid-paced tune considering the expectations for this thing. They would have been better off opening with "Vindication" and mixing it up from there.

Honestly,trying to find something redeeming from any release bearing the QR name (Regardless of version) is as much of a value-added activity as finding something redeeming in a new Metallica album.....

I would disagree with this analogy. i know some didn't care for it, but there definitely were redeeming qualities to DM; the only issue for me was the production of the album.

I would disagree with this analogy. i know some didn't care for it, but there definitely were redeeming qualities to DM; the only issue for me was the production of the album.

Death Magnetic's best quality is the fact that it knows how to stay away from my CD collection.

Also, so far Toddryche goes 2 for 2. I think I may wind up getting their disc once it's released.