Question about PP not selling out

It'll sell out surely. I predict it will sell out by June. What difference does it make though? If this festival got any larger (crowd size) I'd be more reluctant to attend every year. IMO, the more people, the more aggravation.

DrumRman said:
Jorn Lande (without Yngwie), and John West are 2 singers Ive always wanted to see. Now I get my chance to see one of em.

Now we're talking; John West!!! Here is my chance to plug Royal Hunt for next year. Come on Glenn, this is a no brainer in my mind. Now that is 1 band that definitely deserves at least a 4 slot on the PP stage next year!!!

And by the way, Christ O is incredible. Vanden Plas for PP VIII. See Glenn, I just gave you your (two) four slots for next year. A progressive 4 slot and then your choice for a power headliner. Just trying to help out :D

One thing I don't think anyone's brought up yet is the fact that Glen has the balls to actually POST the current status of ticket sales. Many promoters wouldn't even dream it. Think about how many times you hear "tickets are going fast" or "there are a few seats remaining, but hurry." To me, those are the pussies. The the fact that Glenn even updates the thread with ticket sales is amazing to me. I would guess the next update will say something like "40 tickets left". It's all good!

woosta said:
This fest will certainly sell out. BUT, as I said before, I think that Jorn was a biiiiiig let down considering all of the options out there. I guess my feeling is that if Jorn, as a band and given a unique set or not, is not even a headliner in Europe, then how/why can he be here? Jorn w/ Masterplan would have pigeonholed the audience, but it would have said "HEADLINER" but Jorn alone is inconsequential for the most part to anyone outside of Prog circles. I appreciate the uniqueness of a set as much as anyone, but replacing a headliner with Jorn is not the best choice, IMO. Had a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd dropped off, this could have been gotten away with a little bit but not a headliner. Again, this will still sell out, but it will take a LOT more time.

Now, as always, flame away at my heartfelt opinion.

Personally I think it's pretty lame to flame a headliner without at least giving them a chance to perform. I think Jorn is going to blow a lot of people away with thier performance. I've seen Masterplan perform in Europe and they rocked their asses off. Given the variety of material he'll get to pull from I think it will be a great show.

woosta said:
This fest will certainly sell out. BUT, as I said before, I think that Jorn was a biiiiiig let down considering all of the options out there. I guess my feeling is that if Jorn, as a band and given a unique set or not, is not even a headliner in Europe, then how/why can he be here? Jorn w/ Masterplan would have pigeonholed the audience, but it would have said "HEADLINER" but Jorn alone is inconsequential for the most part to anyone outside of Prog circles. I appreciate the uniqueness of a set as much as anyone, but replacing a headliner with Jorn is not the best choice, IMO. Had a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd dropped off, this could have been gotten away with a little bit but not a headliner. Again, this will still sell out, but it will take a LOT more time.

I cannot walk so that a child may live.............

That's what it does.........

Glenn has also promise a special, that won't be announced until the show, and this has got to have a lot of people wondering WTF. Let's see, PYRAMAZE doing "She who Summoned me" with Simone doing the female parts. Kain Hansen showing up and doing some IRON SAVIOUR songs with Savage Circus. Stevie Vai and FREAK KITCHEN enough said. Roland Grapow and Uli Huirsh getting up there with Jorn and doing a whole MASTERPLAN set with LANCE KING doing backing vocals. OR the best one JOHN WEST, LANCE KING, JORN together on stage.

Harvester said:
I think it's a good critique and has valid points. The only thing that I can point out is the "all of the options" available. This is where you have to trust my judgement that many were not available (even before Neveragain bailed on me) due to previous U.S. tours within this year or tours currently being announced for the fall (as well as other festivals not announced yet).

I had a choice and I took the less traveled path with Jorn. I'm happy with my decision, especially with how well ticket sales have gone. To me (and everyone else in the biz), a sellout is a sellout regardless of how long it takes. I may lose a bit of prestige in the hardcore prog/power circles, but those are the ones that will continue to support me. Those that don't come this year, will base their decision on the roster next year...not whether the festival sold out in a week, month, or five months.

cheers,

Glenn H.

I understand your rationale, and you're absolutely correct that attendance next year will have nothing to do with how fast this year sells out or even if it doesn't. As a matter of fact people not going this year are a little shocked to hear that you didn't sell out quickly.
But I agree with woosta that Jorn did nothing to generate any excitement about this year's fest. I know people who were coming with Neveragain on the bill who aren't with Jorn on the bill. They weren't coming specifically for Nevermore, but Jorn produced a pronounced sense of apathy at best.

I also understand that you felt that your choices were limited because you look to book bands that give ProgPower USA that "special feel" from exclusive appearances. Unfortunately, I just don't think that's really going to work for you anymore. All these bands are noticing a reawakened interest for their music in the US market, and touring is becoming more appealing to them. I think your efforts over the years have had a lot to do with that BTW.

But, within 2 weeks of your final announcements it turned out that both of your original headliners will be touring before the fest, and Epica will be immediately following it. Last year 2 top bands were touring around PP and the year before that Edguy took the opportunity for a few extra dates. A headliner should be a headliner, and exclusive be damned.

Mosquito said:
Apparently you have not had the honour of visiting Columbia, SC, the TRUE asshole of the States, where we have NOTHING going for us here. :p

So true, it starts with that coach of the S. Carolina football team, HATE that ba$tard:erk:

Pyramaze51 said:
Glenn has also promise a special, that won't be announced until the show, and this has got to have a lot of people wondering WTF...

Conception was a "Once in a lifetime event" too, of which I happily spent 1/2 the set at the vendor tables. Wondering? Yes. Compelled to attend based on this? No.

Personally I bought my tickets today, I know it's quite late by I needed to confirm a lot of details as I'm coming from Quebec which is a long way from Atlanta. I know some other guys here are probably going to confirm and buy their tickets very soon.

Then I don't have any doubt it will be soldout!

See you there!!

Jeff.

zinescene said:
Personally I think it's pretty lame to flame a headliner without at least giving them a chance to perform. I think Jorn is going to blow a lot of people away with thier performance. I've seen Masterplan perform in Europe and they rocked their asses off. Given the variety of material he'll get to pull from I think it will be a great show.

I saw Jorn fronting ARK back at,what, PP2? I can't remember, but I think it was 2. Glenn has video supporting his claim that the crowd was into it, but I remember the lobby being packed. So it's not just me flaming Jorn for the sake of flaming Jorn. For me, and by my recall, it didn't go over really any bigger than anyone else on the bill. In fact, I remember ARK clearing out quite a few fans and they were on early in the evening.

However, that was just my view. I just don't think Jorn with ARK did much to further the idea of Jorn headlining by himself and I think that hurt.

It will probably sell out, but even if it didn't I can't see a major problem from selling "only" 98% of the tickets or whatever the final figure is.

I imagine Glenn would just learn from it and move on. He made this year different by design, as he has already stated.

Dr_Metal said:
Cool.... Once they take Texas I hope the set up a few good breweries.... :kickass:
and demand no one ever types in text in forums in fuzzy red. You'r torturing me!
I read above: Gel! Conc they toke Texas I hip the set up a tow good brewrees..... huh,? Ok I got it, but type in light, dammit. I don't want to play the name game. "Bo-banna, Fo-fanna..."

Magius said:
I agree with woosta that Jorn did nothing to generate any excitement about this year's fest. I know people who were coming with Neveragain on the bill who aren't with Jorn on the bill. They weren't coming specifically for Nevermore, but Jorn produced a pronounced sense of apathy at best.

Everyone has different tastes. I know people that were not coming when Nevermore was announced as the headliner, but are now coming, have their tickets and are excited as Hell that Jorn is headlining. Personally, I was completely apathetic to Nevermore but still planned to attend. Adding Jorn is just icing to a cake that will feature Circle II Circle, Circus Maximus, Theocracy, Savage Circus, Pyramaze, Thunderstone, Evergrey and other bands that will no doubt make me a fan before the weekend is over.

woosta said:
I saw Jorn fronting ARK back at,what, PP2? I can't remember, but I think it was 2. Glenn has video supporting his claim that the crowd was into it, but I remember the lobby being packed. So it's not just me flaming Jorn for the sake of flaming Jorn. For me, and by my recall, it didn't go over really any bigger than anyone else on the bill. In fact, I remember ARK clearing out quite a few fans and they were on early in the evening.

However, that was just my view. I just don't think Jorn with ARK did much to further the idea of Jorn headlining by himself and I think that hurt.

I can think of a bunch of reasons why Jorn is going to kick ass.

1) He's one of the best vocalists in the world
2) He appeals to prog fans who were fans of ARK
3) He appeals to power metal fans who are into Masterplan
4) He appeals to fans of traditional rock/metal with his solo work
5) His album with Russell Allen was one of the best albums of last year
6) His covers of classic rock bands like Whitesnake, Deep Purple and Foreigner are spectacular
7) His set at PP could include any of the above
8) His guitarist is the guy from Pagan's Mind - talented enough to play any of the material above
9) Glenn has promised something special that will have everyone talking when everything is done

Miss this at your own risk!

woosta said:

I disagree with you. Jorn Lande is a renowed vocalist in all aspects. He's fronted several bands (a very extensive catalog), has a successful solo career (with four albums out), and fronted one of the best guitarist known to man (Yngwie Malmsteen). He's worthy of a headlining slot or Glenn wouldn't have stuck him there. One thing that I've learned since knowing about this festival is that Glenn is very picky with who he sticks in the headlining slots.

IMO, Nevermore didn't make any sense for ProgPower. I have to admit, mainly because I personally don't like the band. So, yes, I'm basing that opinion on how I feel. With that said, Nevermore is a better fit for Ozzfest than ProgPower IMHO. That's not a put down to the band, but I just don't view them being a presence within the progressive or power metal genres.

woosta said:
I saw Jorn fronting ARK back at,what, PP2? I can't remember, but I think it was 2. Glenn has video supporting his claim that the crowd was into it, but I remember the lobby being packed.
Actually, I'm not sure if both those statements can be true. I believe there were only 700 tickets sold for PPII. So, there was no way the crowd was into it and the lobby was packed. Hell, the lobby wasn't packed that whole weekend, even between sets.

woosta said:
So it's not just me flaming Jorn for the sake of flaming Jorn.
Did someone take it that way? You know your shit, and your points were all valid. However, without knowing what options were available to Glenn, it's hard to make an informed criticism of his decision.

woosta said:
For me, and by my recall, it didn't go over really any bigger than anyone else on the bill. In fact, I remember ARK clearing out quite a few fans and they were on early in the evening.
They were a three slot, and they were fantastic.

woosta said:
I'd agree with this point. I think the one thing that may save Jorn from playing to a Rage-sized crowd, is the belief that Russell will show up to do an encore with him.

Zod

General Zod said:
Actually, I'm I believe there were only 700 tickets sold for PPII.

I only sold around 525 and had less than 450 show up. The event took place only two months after 9/11. Thus, the reason I lost 20 grand.

Did someone take it that way? You know your shit, and your points were all valid. However, without knowing what options were available to Glenn, it's hard to make an informed criticism of his decision.

Thanks. I agree.

They were a three slot, and they were fantastic.

They were actually a 4th slot.

I'd agree with this point. I think the one thing that may save Jorn from playing to a Rage-sized crowd, is the belief that Russell will show up to do an encore with him.

Here is where I disagree based on the cross-appeal he has of all his styles as I only kept the true power fans when Rage hit the stage. The prog folks & "tweeners" just didn't have interest. I think the power fans will stay to hear some Masterplan, the prog fans to hear some ARK & Beyond Twilight, and the "tweeners" to hear a bit of everything including his solo stuff & covers that he is well known. I also believe that I have sold tickets to a different crowd this year in that they are the more devoted (for lack of a better word) fans that want to check everything out as opposed to those that would be coming mainly for a headliner only for the most part. I have to say that I have also been pleasantly surprised on the feedback about Jorn on other forums (like BWords) where I didn't believe people would like the choice at all.

As for Russell, you can bet your ass that I will keep trying up until the last minute to get him down here. If Symphony X's schedule doesn't get in the way, I plan on making it damn near impossible for him to say no.

Glenn H.