Question about PP not selling out

Thats crap. There are a set number of tickets, and provided they all sell, how is it any different from the other sell outs? I think this year is on par with any previous year. The lineup is solid as hell. I am there for the music, first and foremost. The friends I have made over the years are just icing on the cake.

metalsped said:
Thats crap. There are a set number of tickets, and provided they all sell, how is it any different from the other sell outs? I think this year is on par with any previous year. The lineup is solid as hell. I am there for the music, first and foremost. The friends I have made over the years are just icing on the cake.

I don't think it's crap.. There are a number of people who have posted on various threads that are goinh because of the fest itself. It might not be the case for you, but it is for some folks...

Angrafan said:
I don't think it's crap.. There are a number of people who have posted on various threads that are goinh because of the fest itself. It might not be the case for you, but it is for some folks...

That is certainly true... I go every year, for the fest itself... the whole experience. I buy my ticket before the lineup is even announced. But the musical lineup is a big part of that "whole experience". Sure, I want to hang out with people I don't see very often, hang out in Atlanta, buy some CD's, etc. But I wouldn't take this trip every year *just* to do that, if I had to worry about a potentially sucky lineup. When people say they are going for the fest itself, it means because they've been there several times in the past, and know that the whole atmosphere of the fest is a good time, but also know from experience that Glenn simply knows how to put together a good roster. Even if 1 or 2 bands that played one year were your personal favorites, and that wasn't the case the next year, or one year was more power-oriented and another year was more proggy, "going for the fest itself" means you know that you don't even have to wait for the lineup to be announced, you can go ahead and plan your trip and your vacation time and your finances, because you know it's going to be a both a good time and a good lineup.

The lineup not as good this year, but we coming for fest. Some friends not coming too, so hopefully it is better next year. If more friends not go I might stop too, but I think next year will be better.

Jorn is okay, but not good plan for top spot I think.

Cardinal Sin said:
i
But anyway, tickets sales show this year wont be as good.l

????

Yes, the lineup did not sell-out in a week. However, if it sells out......it
*sells out.* People are forgetting that part. There are less than 75 tickets to sell with nearly five months to go.

The show may not be as good for some in terms of the roster not being what you want it to be, but in terms of ticket sales it remains a success.

As for special peformances, I have two this year:

1. Evergrey with strings/choirs (world wide exclusive).
2. Jorn doing a career retrospective (world wide exclusive).

You can't have a Conception/Savatage reunion type thing every year.

Glenn H.

I guess i can add my $.02 worth of opinion. This is my first year going, the reasons for not going in past years are PPI & PPII(didn't know it exsisted) PPIII-PPVI (always seemed to be out of the country on business trips). Okay now for my view on the Fest. It will be a sellout, wheather today or next week or next month. As to the line-up SOLID FROM TOP TO BOTTOM, especiall PYRAMAZE, FREAK KITCHEN, MERCENARY. I was going this year no matter who played, but the line up made it a no brainer, and the fact i am sponsor. Will some people stay away because of the line-up Yes they will, but that is their loss, there are 8 bands playing that have never played there befor and i believe we people who are going are indeed in for something special that those that don't go will kick themselves in the ass after all is said and done. So i say to Glenn , GREAT JOB MY MAN, and SEE YOU IN SEPT.

Now unlike a lot of you guys that have seen all the previous PP events - this willb e only my second. I havent seen many of these bands at all - so even if they arent on the top of my wish list (although some are) I would be coming down anyway. The fest itself was cool as hell, it's a chance to have a reunion with an old buddy from high school, meet new people/hang out with cool ones, get some cds that I otherwise would have to order on the net, drink beer at any hour I please and potentially have Chariot Races with the luggage carts - what's not to love?

I personally don't think Glenn is capable of putting together a sucky enough lineup that I wouldnt consider attending. IF the day comes where there is some kind of conflict with the schedule I may have to consider skipping the fest for 1 year - but in all honesty - based on the past lineups - I think he has great taste in tunes, puts on a first class event and tries to give people something to look forward to & to remember every year.

I think alot of promoters would just assume X number of ticket sales and take the attendees for granted - and do a half-assed job and then blame it on "something happened" - in my opinion (and I've only met Glenn once, and seen his posts on these boards) - Glenn has yet to take any of us for granted and continues to bust his as to give people a kickass festival.

For that, I hail you and owe you a beer or 12. Thanks for all the hard work - this years will be great, next years willb e great and just like the energizer bunny - PP will keep going and going and going.

Jeff/manowarfan1

I'm with the crew that is happier with Jorn than Nevermore....but I would've come out anyways, basically cuz of Pyramaze and Thunderstone. That's the style I like.

After not expecting anything from Therion last year, but then getting happily blown out and massively impressed, I feel it's best to go to these things with no preconceived notions and let things happen. Ya never know who you're going to like when it's all said and done.

Not to mention the Pre-party lineup really solidified it, too...!

KingsGene said:
After not expecting anything from Therion last year, but then getting happily blown out and massively impressed, I feel it's best to go to these things with no preconceived notions and let things happen. Ya never know who you're going to like when it's all said and done.

Now I'm getting a warm-fuzzy feeling. :)

But it's so true....sometimes, due to the nature of ProgPower, a band can really surprise you. This is a credit not only to Glenn's roster choices, but also to the production crew and the venue, which combine to -- almost always -- bring out the best a band can offer. When people say they're attending because of the festival, and not because of the bands per se, I think this is a big factor in that decision. People know they can expect top-notch production and an unbeatable venue that's damn near perfect for a fest like this. :headbang:

Harvester said:
????

Glenn H.

Well, how about getting Barlow back with Iced Earth?

...Sorry, I just get heartbroken everytime I see pics of him in his "Action Cop Band"

:loco:

Harvester said:
????
As for special peformances, I have two this year:

1. Evergrey with strings/choirs (world wide exclusive).
2. Jorn doing a career retrospective (world wide exclusive).

Glenn H.

Why not? I sure as hell would watch Jon and Kahn every year. It could be the Kahn-Jon show.:headbang: :lol:

Meanmistreator said:
To make the comment "that Jorn is inconequential outside of Prog circles", makes no sense to me, I mean, this is:headbang: Prog Power right? If you don't like Jorn, then say so, I was less than pleased with Nevermore playing PP, but I wouldn't say that outside Power Metal circles, Nevermore is inconsequential. Given the catalog available, as well as the diversity of the music, Jorn was a great last minute choice.:kickass:

See, but that's my problem. This isn't "last minute" and I think the gun was jumped. There are still 5 months and I'd have rather waited for an announced headliner a little bit later than to rush into something.

With my Jorn comment, I'm trying to get across that the majority of JORN fans are Prog fans, not power, hard rock, or even casual fans, IMO. Now offer Jorn in Masterplan, and you grab power fans AND Jorn fans. Not just a few possible songs from Masterplan without the other guys in the band being there, but a full set. Jorn is known for his Prog and that's just the way I see it, at least in my circles of people.

I'm left (almost) speechless when I read people saying negative things about the lineup... are people -not- looking at friday? Jesus, I'm going to be on the rails the from pyramaze until someone kicks us out after the nth evergrey encore. I'm more excited about friday than any lineup in the past.

Harvester said:

Glenn H.

*Sigh* Fine! Just make sure you make up for it next year by reuniting FIFTH ANGEL for a show. :p :) :heh: