Question about PP not selling out

General Zod said:
I'd agree with this point. I think the one thing that may save Jorn from playing to a Rage-sized crowd, is the belief that Russell will show up to do an encore with him.

Zod
Edit: Glenn answered while I was typing. :)

Harvester said:
I only sold around 525 and had less than 450 show up. The event took place only two months after 9/11. Thus, the reason I lost 20 grand.
Wow. I don't know why I thought 700. Regardless... ouch.

Harvester said:
They were actually a 4th slot.
0 for 2.

Harvester said:
Here is where I disagree based on the cross-appeal he has of all his styles as I only kept the true power fans when Rage hit the stage. The prog folks & "tweeners" just didn't have interest. I think the power fans will stay to hear some Masterplan, the prog fans to hear some ARK & Beyond Twilight, and the "tweeners" to hear a bit of everything including his solo stuff & covers that he is well known. I also believe that I have sold tickets to a different crowd this year in that they are the more devoted (for lack of a better word) fans that want to check everything out as opposed to those that would be coming mainly for a headliner only for the most part. I have to say that I have also been pleasantly surprised on the feedback about Jorn on other forums (like BWords) where I didn't believe people would like the choice at all.
You know the industry much better than I (obviously)... so, I'm not going to debate that point. 99% of what any of us type here is based on our own perceptions. I think to both woosta and I, Jorn isn't a "sexy" headliner (though my wife thinks he's quite sexy). So, it's our perception, that most feel similarly.

Harvester said:
As for Russell, you can bet your ass that I will keep trying up until the last minute to get him down here. If Symphony X's schedule doesn't get in the way, I plan on making it damn near impossible for him to say no.
And that's why you kick ass. Even though I think the disc they did together is quite unspectacular, seeing them perform together would be a whole lot of fun. Russell brings such an energy to his performance, it's hard not to be totally engaged by anything he does.

Zod

Harvester said:

As for Russell, you can bet your ass that I will keep trying up until the last minute to get him down here. If Symphony X's schedule doesn't get in the way, I plan on making it damn near impossible for him to say no.

Glenn H.

And that is why you are God - god walking earth...... :heh:

edgeofthorns said:
IMO, Nevermore didn't make any sense for ProgPower. I have to admit, mainly because I personally don't like the band. So, yes, I'm basing that opinion on how I feel. With that said, Nevermore is a better fit for Ozzfest than ProgPower IMHO. That's not a put down to the band, but I just don't view them being a presence within the progressive or power metal genres.

I can understand that you don't like Nevermore, and prefer to see Jorn (I myself am very interested to see the Jorn set drawn from all the stuff he's appeared on). I would have enjoyed seeing Nevermore too, although I must say I am not the absolute biggest Nevermore fan either. But let me assure you that you are incorrect in the notion that Nevermore is not a presence in the progressive and power metal scene. They are one of the top-selling acts of the subgenre, and the vast majority of the fans that show up to their concerts, as well as the bands they tour with, are from the prog / power scene.

edgeofthorns said:
IMO, Nevermore didn't make any sense for ProgPower.
Your certainly entitled to that opinion. However, if you read the thread that announced Nevermore and then read the thread that announced Jorn, you'll see a lot more people excited about Nevermore.

edgeofthorns said:
With that said, Nevermore is a better fit for Ozzfest than ProgPower IMHO.
I think you're just flat out wrong on this. If you asked the average person at ProgPower about Nevermore, they're either a fan, or if they don't like them, have a familiarity with thier music. If you asked the average Ozzfest attendee about Nevermore, they'd most likely have no clue who you were talking about.

edgeofthorns said:
That's not a put down to the band, but I just don't view them being a presence within the progressive or power metal genres.
Perhaps... but that would seem to run counter to guy who runs the biggest fest in the genre, as Glenn has twice booked them to headline this festival.

Zod

Are we sure Jorn is drawing from all his back catalogue, and not just his solo albums? He's got enough solo material to make most of the set a pure Jorn set, and that's the least favorite stuff of my Jorn collection. I like Jorn/Lande and Masterplan and Millenium a lot more.

AMBR said:
and demand no one ever types in text in forums in fuzzy red. You'r torturing me!
I read above: Gel! Conc they toke Texas I hip the set up a tow good brewrees..... huh,? Ok I got it, but type in light, dammit. I don't want to play the name game. "Bo-banna, Fo-fanna..."

"Conc they toke Texas"... Lol! :)

Heh, seriously though, if someone uses weird colored text that is difficult to read, just use your mouse and highlight it... that will turn it into dark-colored text on a white background... much easier to read than red-on-grey... :)

Harvester said:
I only sold around 525 and had less than 450 show up. The event took place only two months after 9/11. Thus, the reason I lost 20 grand.
I am the most selfish person in the world but can I just say .... that small of a crowd was awesome.

BUT I'm sure 20 grand is much, much more awesome.

Bad Girl Tess said:
I am the most selfish person in the world but can I just say .... that small of a crowd was awesome.

BUT I'm sure 20 grand is much, much more awesome.

I agree, that was a cool experience, with the place not being super-packed all the time... but I think this year will be cool too. For one, because the vendor tables have been in a separate room the last couple years... as opposed to ProgPower III and IV, where they were taking up half the semi-circle hallway, and it was almost impossible to get make your way through at times. And secondly, even though there will be as many tickets sold this year as there were last year, there will probably be fewer people in the venue than last year, since Glenn will most likely do something to combat the growing problem from the last couple years of people using the old ticket hand-off scam to bring multiple people into the venue using only 2 - 3 tickets.

Sumeet said:
I agree, that was a cool experience, with the place not being super-packed all the time... but I think this year will be cool too. For one, because the vendor tables have been in a separate room the last couple years... as opposed to ProgPower III and IV, where they were taking up half the semi-circle hallway, and it was almost impossible to get make your way through at times. And secondly, even though there will be as many tickets sold this year as there were last year, there will probably be fewer people in the venue than last year, since Glenn will most likely do something to combat the growing problem from the last couple years of people using the old ticket hand-off scam to bring multiple people into the venue using only 2 - 3 tickets.
Yes! Those people SUCK!

What cheap fucks handing tickets off. People like that and the other ones that record and video the show are really ruining it for fans of the fest that love it for more then just the bands playing.

lifesadream said:
What cheap fucks handing tickets off. People like that and the other ones that record and video the show are really ruining it for fans of the fest that love it for more then just the bands playing.
Don't forget the ones moshing.

IceQueen_ said:
:headbang:

I'm VERY curious about next year. Can't wait! :loco:

And for this "not selling out" thing.... I really do believe by September we will have a sell out. If not, there is going to be 10 - 20 tickets left at the most.
But anyways, what's wrong with that? .... some people were very pessimist (is this a right word in english?), and now, less than 10% to sell out. Sounds better than their expectations... doesn't it?? Pretty good. :cool:

If anything, it'll give the kids time to save their pennies from their paper routes.:kickass:

PS. I thought I felt an Enchant vibration somewhere on one of these posts. Hmmm...:loco:

With all due respect, There is nothing wrong with the festival except all the sniveling that goes on...Wah! Wah! Wah! :OMG: Long Live Progpower!!!

SharkBlack said:
With all due respect, There is nothing wrong with the festival except all the sniveling that goes on...Wah! Wah! Wah! :OMG: Long Live Progpower!!!

Sniveling about other people sniveling... is still sniveling. :Smug: :devil:

Harvester said:
I'd agree with this point. I think the one thing that may save Jorn from playing to a Rage-sized crowd, is the belief that Russell will show up to do an encore with him.

Here is where I disagree based on the cross-appeal he has of all his styles as I only kept the true power fans when Rage hit the stage. The prog folks & "tweeners" just didn't have interest. I think the power fans will stay to hear some Masterplan, the prog fans to hear some ARK & Beyond Twilight, and the "tweeners" to hear a bit of everything including his solo stuff & covers that he is well known. I also believe that I have sold tickets to a different crowd this year in that they are the more devoted (for lack of a better word) fans that want to check everything out as opposed to those that would be coming mainly for a headliner only for the most part. I have to say that I have also been pleasantly surprised on the feedback about Jorn on other forums (like BWords) where I didn't believe people would like the choice at all.

Glenn H.

PPII was a new experience from "my" perspective. I was still only 4 or 5 years into prog, and didn't know what to expect from PPUSA. Hell, I brought my wife. First and foremost, we had a blast. As for ARK, I was diggin' some Conception, so I was familiar with Tore, but at the time I didn't care for ARK that much, and I thought Jorn sounded to much like David Coverdale on the first CD. I consider myself more prog most of the time, but I find that I like Masterplan much better then ARK. But today I would have to say because of his catalog alone, Jorn is pretty huge! I'm not unhappy!:headbang:

woosta said:
This fest will certainly sell out. BUT, as I said before, I think that Jorn was a biiiiiig let down considering all of the options out there. I guess my feeling is that if Jorn, as a band and given a unique set or not, is not even a headliner in Europe, then how/why can he be here? Jorn w/ Masterplan would have pigeonholed the audience, but it would have said "HEADLINER" but Jorn alone is inconsequential for the most part to anyone outside of Prog circles. I appreciate the uniqueness of a set as much as anyone, but replacing a headliner with Jorn is not the best choice, IMO. Had a 3rd or maybe even a 2nd dropped off, this could have been gotten away with a little bit but not a headliner. Again, this will still sell out, but it will take a LOT more time.

Now, as always, flame away at my heartfelt opinion.

To make the comment "that Jorn is inconequential outside of Prog circles", makes no sense to me, I mean, this is:headbang: Prog Power right? If you don't like Jorn, then say so, I was less than pleased with Nevermore playing PP, but I wouldn't say that outside Power Metal circles, Nevermore is inconsequential. Given the catalog available, as well as the diversity of the music, Jorn was a great last minute choice.:kickass:

it's so obvious, this year's won't be as good as last year's....is that so hard to adopt? I have albums of most of these bands, but they're not my choice to pay $100 for, maybe for otherones it is, but i truely believe most people are going this year more just for the event of seeing international bands they dont get to see all the time, and if i was rich i would too.
But anyway, tickets sales show this year wont be as good. I believe that it's a nice way of making a festival special by having extraordinary bands appearing, for example, by bringing the rarest thing (example: Conception), by making a reunion...making it very special