Question for the forum...

Steve, what's happening bro? Hope everything is good with you!!
What about you?.. You still beating the drums down??

How's the political situtation in Michigan? Figure I might as well ask an insider to the whole deal.:)

I heard on the radio this morning that the only democratic candidate that will be on the primary ballot in your state is clinton, and that the rest of them are withdrawing their ads and their people from the state. Is this true?
(You know I normally like to fuck around, but I really did here this today.)

Hope everything is good with you man!!:kickass:

T

I'm right here dude:kickass:

As far as choices for President go, it would have been Biden for the Dems because he is about the only one out of the lot with a spine, but since he dropped out I have no idea who I am going to vote for now. You can bet it won't be Hillary, that I am certain of. I'm not real thrilled with the choices I have for Dems. If I had to vote for a Republican, it would be Ron Paul. .

Steve, what's happening bro? Hope everything is good with you!!
What about you?.. You still beating the drums down??

How's the political situtation in Michigan? Figure I might as well ask an insider to the whole deal.:)

I heard on the radio this morning that the only democratic candidate that will be on the primary ballot in your state is clinton, and that the rest of them are withdrawing their ads and their people from the state. Is this true?
(You know I normally like to fuck around, but I really did here this today.)

Hope everything is good with you man!!:kickass:

T

I'm good. I haven't really been playing the drums a whole lot lately. I needed to take a break from it for a while because my playing was getting stale sounding. I've just been reading a lot on drumming techniques and stuff like that so that I can come back to drumming with a different angle. Sometimes you just have to step away from things for a bit to get a fresh perspective.

Yeah, it's true that Clinton is the only one on our primary. So she has this state locked for sure:Smug:. It's all a bit confusing and hard to explain on a message board, but the long and short of it is the DNC said MI violated campaign rules by moving our primary ahead of schedule. All the other candidates decided that they should just take their names off the ballots since the DNC(dickhead Howard Dean) said we were in violation...everyone that is, except Clinton. So that is the one of many reasons why I'll never vote for her.

Our state is in complete shambles right now. Hell, I think we are doing worse than New Orleans, economically speaking. We even had a state shutdown a few months ago if that tells you how bad our leadership is right now. Both sides managed to screw the citizens with their political posturing and raised taxes, caused a shut down, and basically gave Michigan a black eye. It's gotten so bad around here that if I could actually sell my house(no one is buying here...), I'd do it and move the hell out of here and wouldn't look back. Anyways, what's new with you?

Our state is in complete shambles right now. Hell, I think we are doing worse than New Orleans, economically speaking. We even had a state shutdown a few months ago if that tells you how bad our leadership is right now.

On the plus side, Jeff Daniels does daily radio ads about how ssssuper business prospects are in Michigan, how much free cash the government gives away, what good tennis partners the chamber of commerce people are.

Makes me wonder how many incentives they actually hand out when it sounds like Michigan is bleeding to death?

Scharzenegger's doing the same thing for California. Making TV spots instead of governing. So, I reckon any time I hear someone promoting a state, it means the place is sliding into fuckin hell.

Jurched

ronpaulfa4.jpg

On the plus side, Jeff Daniels does daily radio ads about how ssssuper business prospects are in Michigan, how much free cash the government gives away, what good tennis partners the chamber of commerce people are.

Makes me wonder how many incentives they actually hand out when it sounds like Michigan is bleeding to death?

Scharzenegger's doing the same thing for California. Making TV spots instead of governing. So, I reckon any time I hear someone promoting a state, it means the place is sliding into fuckin hell.

Jurched

Schwarzenegger, now there is someone who has completely disappointed me. It's like he traded in his sack when he got elected. I don't know who I am voting for. At this point, I can only tell you who I am NOT voting for. Clinton and Paul. Clinton for obvious reasons. Ron Paul has a lot going for him but, his whole take on the 9/11 attacks has completely turned me off. He doesn't have a realistic shot at winning. I only see him splitting the vote like Perot did.
Oh yeah, if that prick Bloomberg runs, I ain't votin' for him either.

this is the problem i have with Ron Paul and his frothing, derelict followers:

1) Paul was once involved with a conspiracy theory newsletter, catering to the most paranoid and psychotic loons of this society. even now, as he's running to lead this nation, he's telling those nutbag 9/11 'Truthers' that their concerns are legitimate and that as soon as he's in office, he and Dennis Kucinich [UFO guy] will form YET, ANOTHER committee to investigate what really happened on 9/11.

2) he says 'we asked for' 9/11.
sure, he tried to qualify that statement by saying it was our foreign policy, but that just doesnt wash. he wants us out of the Middle East and pretty much everywhere else.
what he misses is that our foreign policy, while not making us the most popular belle at the ball, has kept us a superpower and kept us prosperous.
if we were to pull out of all the areas he says we should, what would happen?
well, other, aggressive and anti-western nations would move in, take over, and choke off resources that we rely on.
we'd be crippled. under Paul's command we'd become a Third World crap heap in record time.
with no resources coming in, no allies [since Paul would have us turn our backs on everybody] and a crippled economy, we'd have the wolves at our door and marching down our streets.

given those two reasons, i'd be thrilled if Paul and all his followers would just pack up and move to Cambodia or Ethiopia. if a destitute, powerless nation is what you crave, then have it, but dont subject the rest of us to it.

How has our foreign policy made us a superpower?

it's kept us active and visible in the world.

If by "active and visible" you mean embroiled in perpetual wars we need be no part of or stationing our military all over the globe half a century after the conclusion of conflict(Korea, Japan, etc.) and massive national debt and bankruptcy that a thousand generations couldn't possibly repay at this point...indeed, it has done that.

Conservatives understood and railed against the follies of Globalism at one time - we(they) have long since completely lost (our) their way.

If by "active and visible" you mean embroiled in perpetual wars we need be no part of or stationing our military all over the globe half a century after the conclusion of conflict(Korea, Japan, etc.) and massive national debt and bankruptcy that a thousand generations couldn't possibly repay at this point...indeed, it has done that.

Conservatives understood and railed against the follies of Globalism at one time - we(they) have long since completely lost (our) their way.

by keeping our hand in with key areas around the world, we've remained on top.

all you mentioned not withstanding, we're still on top, so what looks like failure to the weak-hearted isnt failure at all.

all you mentioned not withstanding, we're still on top, so what looks like failure to the weak-hearted isnt failure at all.

A nation whose currency is growing less valuable on the hour(particularly compared to foreign currencies), is trillions of dollars in debt and has its military resources spread impossibly thin all over the globe will likely not remain "on top" of anything for long.

http://www.buchanan.org/pa-00-0325-antiwarspeech.html
(an older by germane speach)

Have you ever read A Republic Not An Empire by Pat Buchanan? I stronly encourage this. I also think you might enjoy taking a peek at other sources of legitimate Old Right Conservatism - "The American Conservative" magazine is a good start. There is a whole world of very intellectually and historically grounded right-wing thought out there that challenges what supposedly passes for "conservatism" as embodied by much of the Republican party, talk radio, Fox News, the Neocons, etc. And this collective movement is about as far from Liberal as one can get.

What are we on top of?

OHHHH, Sue! That's pretty cunning of you!

You know I like Ron Paul, and SHOULD be deeply offended... but you also have complete tabs on my sense of humour, and thus have completely disarmed my criticism! :loco:

Lesson: Female cleverness is one of the top reasons why Hitlery should be prohibited from becoming President.

Jurched

A nation whose currency is growing less valuable on the hour(particularly compared to foreign currencies), is trillions of dollars in debt and has its military resources spread impossibly thin all over the globe will likely not remain "on top" of anything for long.

http://www.buchanan.org/pa-00-0325-antiwarspeech.html
(an older by germane speach)

Have you ever read A Republic Not An Empire by Pat Buchanan? I stronly encourage this. I also think you might enjoy taking a peek at other sources of legitimate Old Right Conservatism - "The American Conservative" magazine is a good start. There is a whole world of very intellectually and historically grounded right-wing thought out there that challenges what supposedly passes for "conservatism" as embodied by much of the Republican party, talk radio, Fox News, the Neocons, etc. And this collective movement is about as far from Liberal as one can get.

Glad you posted this. It lets me add the newest Buchanan column, and its an eye-opener:

Since it began to give credit ratings to nations in 1917, Moody's has rated the United States triple-A. U.S. Treasury bonds have been seen as the most secure investment on earth. When crises erupt, nervous money seeks out the world's great safe harbor, the United States.

That reputation is now in peril.

Last week, Moody's warned that if the United States fails to rein in the soaring cost of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, the nation's credit rating will be down-graded within a decade.

Our political parties seem oblivious. Republicans, save Ron Paul, are all promising to expand the U.S. military and maintain all of our worldwide commitments to defend and subsidize scores of nations.

Democrats, with entitlement costs drowning the federal budget in red ink, are proposing a new entitlement – universal health coverage for the near 50 million who do not have it – another magnet for illegal aliens.

Moody's is telling America it needs a time of austerity, while the U.S. government is behaving like the governments we used to bail out.

California has already hit the wall. With an economy as large as a G-8 nation, the Golden State is looking at a $14 billion deficit in 2009 and a $3 billion shortfall in 2008. Gov. Schwarzenegger has called for slashing prison staff by 6,000, including 2,000 guards, early release of 22,000 inmates, closing four dozen state parks and a 10 percent across-the-board cut in all state agencies. The Democratic legislature is demanding tax hikes, which would drive more taxpayers back over the mountains whence their fathers came.

Meanwhile, Washington drifts mindlessly toward the maelstrom. With the dollar sinking, oil surging to $100 a barrel, the Dow having its worst January in memory, foreclosures mounting, credit card debt going rotten, and consumers and businesses unable or unwilling to borrow, we appear headed into recession.

If so, tax revenue will fall and spending on unemployment will surge. The price of the stimulus packages both parties are preparing will further add to the deficit and further imperil the U.S. credit rating. This all comes in the year that the first of the baby boomers, born in 1946, reach early retirement and eligibility for Social Security.

To stave off recession, the Fed appears anxious to slash interest rates another half-point, if not more. That will further weaken the dollar and raise the costs of the imports to which we have become addicted. While all this is bad news for the Republicans, it is worse news for the republic. As we save nothing, we must borrow both to pay for the imported oil and foreign manufactures upon which we have become dependent.

We are thus in the position of having to borrow from Europe to defend Europe, of having to borrow from China and Japan to defend Chinese and Japanese access to Gulf oil, and of having to borrow from Arab emirs, sultans and monarchs to make Iraq safe for democracy.

We borrow from the nations we defend so that we may continue to defend them. To question this is an unpardonable heresy called "isolationism."

And the chickens of globalism are coming home to roost.

We let Europe to get away with imposing value-added taxes averaging 15 percent on our exports to them, while they rebate that value-added tax on their exports to us. Thus, the euro has almost doubled in value against the dollar in the Bush years, as NATO Europe begins to bail out on Iraq and Afghanistan.

We sat still as Japan protected her markets and dumped high quality goods into ours and China undervalued its currency to suck jobs, technology and factories out of the United States. Now, China and Japan have $2 trillion in cash reserves. The Arabs have an equal amount of petrodollars. Both are headed here to spend their depreciating dollars snapping up U.S. assets – banks, ports, highways, defense contractors.

America, to pay her bills, has begun to sell herself to the world.

Its balance sheet gutted by the subprime mortgage crisis, Citicorp got a $7.5 billion injection from Abu Dhabi and is now fishing for $1 billion from Kuwait and $9 billion from China. Beijing has put $5 billion into Morgan Stanley and bought heavily into Barclays Bank.

Merrill-Lynch, ravaged by subprime mortgage losses, sold part of itself to Singapore for $7.5 billion and is seeking another $3 billion to $4 billion from the Arabs. Swiss-based UBS, taking a near $15 billion write-down in subprime mortgages, has gotten an infusion of $10 billion from Singapore.

Bain Capital is partnering with China's Huawei Technologies in a buyout of 3Com, the U.S. company that provides the technology that protects Pentagon computers from Chinese hackers.

This self-indulgent generation has borrowed itself into unpayable debt. Now the folks from whom we borrowed to buy all that oil and all those cars, electronics and clothes are coming to buy the country we inherited. We are prodigal sons, and the day of reckoning approaches.

Yep. Not one goddamned candidate has bothered mentioning any concrete solutions to these problems, which, as I recall, have been the cornerstone of campaigns since 1992. And like all campaign issues, disappear like farts in the wind as soon as the election is over.

Why?

Because voting and signing the solutions into law will be career SUICIDE for any politician involved!!

You think any of these genuises want to take the heat for genuine budget cuts?

Jurched

OHHHH, Sue! That's pretty cunning of you!

You know I like Ron Paul, and SHOULD be deeply offended... but you also have complete tabs on my sense of humour, and thus have completely disarmed my criticism! :loco:

Lesson: Female cleverness is one of the top reasons why Hitlery should be prohibited from becoming President.

Jurched

i'm glad you enjoyed that, my love. given the foul behavior of Ron Paulians as of late [really, did chasing Sean Hannity down a public street, screaming 'FOX NEWS SUCKS' and waving Ron Paul signs really accomplish anything?], i found this quite appropriate.

ron-paul-babies.jpg

Presumably they're the same fellows who used to storm DNC meetings when Lyndon "Baines" LaRouche was running for the nomination in 2000 and earlier... before he was thrown headfirst into prison.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind canvassing for Ron Paul with other angry campaigners, chasing Hannity, interfering with news broadcasters and so forth, but I've got zero personal time thanks to da kidz. Poor timing, I suppose.

Jurched