Question to Borknagar members...

dia_hain said:
What bands do you listen to now? Do you find your tastes changing?

My musical taste is very vast..but I've always had a soft spot for the progressive/symphonic rock from the 70's..with bands like Yes, Starcastle, Nektar, Camel, The Enid, Capatain Beyond etc. Stil I also listen to some extreme metal, ambient music, jazz and some folk tunes as well. My taste has kind of been the same..but as it's very broad I find new bands in all the genres all the time...so, I'm not a diehard fan of some specific bands, except all the bands I'm in...hehehe

mr V

Last night I listened to Metallica "...and justice for all" again to check if it's as bad as I always thought it was (it's probably 15 years since last time I listened to it). It DOES have its moments but over all it's even worse that what I thought when it came out. Long live KEA, RTL and MOP! Another album from the 80s I played last night (that is a zillion times better than AJFA) is King Diamond's "Them". Now that's something else than the crap King Diamond is doing nowadays...

- Asgeir

asgeir said:
Last night I listened to Metallica "...and justice for all" again to check if it's as bad as I always thought it was (it's probably 15 years since last time I listened to it). It DOES have its moments but over all it's even worse that what I thought when it came out. Long live KEA, RTL and MOP! Another album from the 80s I played last night (that is a zillion times better than AJFA) is King Diamond's "Them". Now that's something else than the crap King Diamond is doing nowadays...

- Asgeir

Is it the song writing or the production you dont like?

The first time I heard it I hated it, especially since I loved Master of Puppets so much and the production on ...AJFA is wretched. It has sort of grown on me since then.

You think thats bad, St Anger is the worst pile of crap Ive ever heard and talk about snare drum on that album lars must of used a keg drum or something.. Poor old Newstead his first album with them and you can't even hear him play on it, then the band sells out, and now his current guitarist "Piggy" from Voivod is dead.

Well, I gave up on Metallica with AJFA so I don't know HOW bad they really became after that. I haven't heard all the St. Anger songs but I like the drum sound better on that than AJFA. I wonder how they would sound if Cliff didn't die... BTW - I met him 24 hours before he died.. R.I.P.

- Asgeir

I used to be a big Metallica fan, but it ended around 15 years ago when I realized that their best work was on their first 4 albums.

Shit, AJFA came out 17 years ago...I hate getting old.

One of the best metal bass players in the history of Metal Cliff was, and I don't think Cliff would of been happy with this new Metallica, having no guitar solos and tuned down to C sharp and Bob Rock playing bass on St Anger is a freakin joke.

Vintersorg said:
My musical taste is very vast..but I've always had a soft spot for the progressive/symphonic rock from the 70's..with bands like Yes, Starcastle, Nektar, Camel, The Enid, Capatain Beyond etc. Stil I also listen to some extreme metal, ambient music, jazz and some folk tunes as well. My taste has kind of been the same..but as it's very broad I find new bands in all the genres all the time...so, I'm not a diehard fan of some specific bands, except all the bands I'm in...hehehe

mr V

I found a Nektar record in me pops collection, they are quite impressive. I also found this other progressive band called Gentle Giant that plays some quite unique stuff. Hail Progressive rock/metal.

Alteredmindeath said:
I found a Nektar record in me pops collection, they are quite impressive. I also found this other progressive band called Gentle Giant that plays some quite unique stuff. Hail Progressive rock/metal.

I enjoy Gentle Giant too..still I only have one album "The Power and the Glory" but I've heard other songs as well..and they're nice. At the moment I listen alot to the band Soft Machine.

mr V

Metallica this and Metallica that, bla bla bla. I never liked them. I hate their old sound and I hate their new songwriting (old = before black album and new after that one...actually I liked the black album the best (yeah, yeah, just laugh)). And those freaking vocals? Throw me a bone, here! Over-rated band.

Does anyone agree with me?

Anyway...what new metal-bands do you Borknagar guys like?

Any of you borknagar members dig Amon Amarth or Children of Bodom? I think those cats are great, especially that keyboard player from CoB.

Heres a question for Asgier. Ever listen to Billy Cobham or the Mahavishnu Orchestra? mindblowing material.

asgeir said:
Vættur, how old are you?

- Asgeir

Well, if he says the Black album is old, it means he's not that old. :)

That was also "old" for me, and I'm 24. AJFA came out when I was, what, 6 years old? So many of us who grew up in the US in the 1990s got exposed to heavy metal for the first time with the Metallica Black album. That was 1991, if I'm correct. I was only 10 years old. For us it wasn't that bad. There were better bands, but if you're around my age, the time you began to really discriminate about music was near high school. By early/mid 1990s the American metal scene really fell apart, and what we grew up with was European bands. That is, if you really were a metalhead.

Those of us who didn't listen to European bands generally gravitated towards sort of nu-metalish or alternative bands here in the US. I didn't, but plenty of my friends did. There's never really an either / or to musical tastes, but for a long time it felt that way. A lot of the times those bands that sort of lost it in the 1990s... Metallica, Mercyful Fate... were useful to us because with those really crappy 90s albums came an interest in older stuff. And from there you work on your roots and expand...

In the end, I got into what I consider the bread and butter of my metal collection, black metal and death metal and so forth, through Paradise Lost in the mid 1990s, which was a doom metal band (haha, mighty doom metal, which lasted like 3-4 years as a genre). AND ALL THAT STARTED WITH METALLICA BLACK ALBUM! HUZZAH! And also Chaos A.D. from Sepultura.

So yeah, Black album seems old for a lot of us. Even those of us in our mid 20s or so, 1991 seems like a long time ago. Obviously labeling Black album as "old" Metallica isn't really accurate, considering their 1980s discography. I guess the generation that's growing up now really has no links to the 1980s; so even stuff in the 1990s begins to seem distant. :)

While I don't think quite as highly of ...And Justice for All now (17 years later?!?! holy shit!!!) as I did when I was a kid, it was, pretty much, the album that got me into metal. So for that it'll always hold a special place for me.

Well, to me Metallica's AJFA and Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time" are THE NEW version of the bands which totally lost my interest. I have friends who think "Somewhere In Time" and "7th son..." are what Iron Maiden is all about and think their first 4 albums are just old crap. It's all about when and where you grow up. No one introduced me to the first Deicide- and Morbid Angel-albums so to me they just sound like they were recorded with a microphone in a bucket...

- Asgeir

asgeir said:
Well, to me Metallica's AJFA and Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time" are THE NEW version of the bands which totally lost my interest. I have friends who think "Somewhere In Time" and "7th son..." are what Iron Maiden is all about and think their first 4 albums are just old crap. It's all about when and where you grow up. No one introduced me to the first Deicide- and Morbid Angel-albums so to me they just sound like they were recorded with a microphone in a bucket...

That's correct Azgeir...I mean I like some albums even if the production are "shite" and the songwritings quite naive and dull..but I got introduced to them at a specific time by a specific person..so I'm very forgiving to the songs and the production, if I hear it now for the first time I wouldn't even bother to finnish one song of listening.

mr V