Question to Borknagar members...

asgeir said:
Well, to me Metallica's AJFA and Iron Maiden's "Somewhere In Time" are THE NEW version of the bands which totally lost my interest. I have friends who think "Somewhere In Time" and "7th son..." are what Iron Maiden is all about and think their first 4 albums are just old crap. It's all about when and where you grow up. No one introduced me to the first Deicide- and Morbid Angel-albums so to me they just sound like they were recorded with a microphone in a bucket...

- Asgeir

Oi, like Mr.V said, some shitty recordings are still special in spite of their production shittiness. I can think of a lot of albums from when I was getting into metal that to me are still good, in spite of their shitty sound... Paradise Lost's Gothic / Shades of God, At The Gates' Terminal Spirit Disease, Enslaved's tracks on Hordanes Land... hell, the recording on DT's Mind's I in the mid 1990s is pretty lame-o too in terms of its sound (and I love that album). In general I feel like in the early 1990s a lot of the metal albums simply didn't have very good recordings. You kind of had to look past that to appreciate it. Perhaps because I was exposed to a lot of punk rock I wasn't as picky about it; muddled metal was still a lot more interesting than a lot of the cookie cutter alternative / grunge rock being churned out in the US around that time.

I agree on the production comments also. Hell, even Borknagar's earlier albums have horrible production. But, they are still special despite the technical shortcomings.

midevil elf said:
I agree on the production comments also. Hell, even Borknagar's earlier albums have horrible production. But, they are still special despite the technical shortcomings.

A lot of the bands I was blown away by as a 13 or 14 year old had pretty shitty recordings. Like Mr.V says, they hold a special place in your heart but you probably wouldn't have listened them seriously nowadays. I can say one thing, as crappy as AJFA sounds, Dyers Eve is still my favorite Metallica song. (Besides, some of Metallica's live recordings, especially the Seattle 1987 video, are very good).

But bands (sometimes) get better at producing things as they go. One of my favorite bands ever is Sentenced, and their first two albums have such shitty sound, but I think their last 3-4 recordings stand out particularly because of the quality of the production (especially their final album).

midevil elf said:
Hope I don't get flamed for this, but Pantera is way overrated.

I agree. I never liked them. I never liked Jock Metal. Although it sucks what's his face got shot.

this is my question to the band, Is the album "Epic" good? well from your perspective cuz everytime I go into a CD store and see the CD on the stand, I have second thoughts about it, and buy another CD. The reason for this, it's cuz of some really bad reviews about the album that I read on some websites, and cuz of that I always turn my other cheek when I see the album. I usually ignore the reviews cuz they don't know how to appreciate bands , and I go for the CD, but this time I didn't, which is peculiar.

Verano said:
this is my question to the band, Is the album "Epic" good? well from your perspective cuz everytime I go into a CD store and see the CD on the stand, I have second thoughts about it, and buy another CD. The reason for this, it's cuz of some really bad reviews about the album that I read on some websites, and cuz of that I always turn my other cheek when I see the album. I usually ignore the reviews cuz they don't know how to appreciate bands , and I go for the CD, but this time I didn't, which is peculiar.

Epic is a DAMNED good record. If you want to know a downside, then this is the only one I can think of - the production lack a bit of clarity in my opinion... and thats all!

Otherwise it's a beautiful album, very complex with an eternity of re-listening value!

Did anyone mention Megadeth? Yea I know Dave should have stopped after Youthansia, so let's not talk about what he's doing today, but Megadeth got me into Metal. And in my opinion no Metallica album was better than Rust in Peace, or CTE....

Yeah I've always listened to Megadeth over Metallica. To me their music was a bit more raw in a sense, and they didn't have Lars.

Verano said:

I'm not a member of Borknagar, but I will say that Epic is definately worth the money. It has a lot of good songs that stay in your head for many hours afterward. Also, it has a very distinct mood and tone to it. Empiricism is still my favorite but Epic is a worthy successor. Like Asgier said, go to a cd store where you can sample the music and decide from then on.

Verano said:

Neither am I a Bork member, but I must say Epic is gorgeous and you should buy it. After a few turns in my hi-fi it became one of my favourite Borknagar albums.

They have Epic at my local walmart! ha! Strange... but anyway, Quintenssence is still my favorite. I just love the wacky medolies / vocal harmonies... I think the last couple the keyboards are too much, need to let the guitars breathe... but otherwise I love it all.. Garm, Simen, Vintersorg.. all have their own great qualities...

btw, the new Ulver is fucking FANTASTIC!

Wish simon would do another Lamnted Souls album,.... and Vintersorg.. just no more Otyg? heheh...

Cheers!

btw, Camel rules!

Empiricism is a most addictive album good job Asgeir on drums, good job Vintersorg on vocals, and what makes this album special is Tyrs bass work, it is freaking awsome bass sound. I wish he was still in Borknagar, but life goes on and so does Borknagar. Also thanks Vintersorg for the list of crazy 70's progressive bands, I have checked them out and must say some of the most talented and creative musicians in music are the underground ones.

Vintersorg said:
My musical taste is very vast..but I've always had a soft spot for the progressive/symphonic rock from the 70's..with bands like Yes, Starcastle, Nektar, Camel, The Enid, Capatain Beyond etc. Stil I also listen to some extreme metal, ambient music, jazz and some folk tunes as well. My taste has kind of been the same..but as it's very broad I find new bands in all the genres all the time...so, I'm not a diehard fan of some specific bands, except all the bands I'm in...hehehe

mr V

I'm wondering, have you ever heard of the band Comus? They were progressive/psychedelic folk music with really fantastic atmosphere from the 70's. I think you'd probably like it.

I'd also like to know what you think of my band. (see signature) :wave:

Alteredmindeath said:
Empiricism is a most addictive album good job Asgeir on drums, good job Vintersorg on vocals, and what makes this album special is Tyrs bass work, it is freaking awsome bass sound. I wish he was still in Borknagar, but life goes on and so does Borknagar. Also thanks Vintersorg for the list of crazy 70's progressive bands, I have checked them out and must say some of the most talented and creative musicians in music are the underground ones.

You might find some good news here then: www.borknagar.com

- Asgeir

Whoaaa!! Great news... Jens and Tyr are back??? Fulltime? or just for the Gig?? What about the album?? Having Tyr playing Bass in an acoustic album would be beautiful.

I wish I lived in Norway...
Or, come to Argentina (yeah, sure)...