Question to you all.

Oh, the most shocking (and almost brutal) transition in any Opeth song (imho) is in Ghost of Perdition; from 6'46 to 7'15 !

From "hammering HELL" to "ANGELIC harmony"
(- flutes and strings!)
in a matter of seconds...

(A brilliant piece of music, in any case! I always smile when that part comes)

Growling ---> Clean voice.... alright Sir!

Here's a great suggestion:
Baying of the hounds: at 1'40 - 2'15 !

Both types of voices gloriously presented back to back!

Your students will wet their pants if they're new to 'peth!!
:)

Ghost of Perdition where it goes from heavy to the soft part where he sings 'Rode into the dark unaware' or something like that.

annt said:
Definitely The Drapery Falls and "Spiralling to the ground below..."

+1

Remember when my brother borrowed my mp3 player and the mellow part came on...wow..this is cool he said and boosted full volume not knowing the calm would soon be changed to chaos........

Masters Apprentices? I know it's only supposed to be 20 secs or whatever, but let them listen to the brutal -> clean -> harmony clean part.

Deadlift said:
+1

Remember when my brother borrowed my mp3 player and the mellow part came on...wow..this is cool he said and boosted full volume not knowing the calm would soon be changed to chaos........

pwned :heh:

The end of the mellow part, the short growl section and the beginning of the guitar solo in Master's Apprentices would also be nice.

Do the riff a little more than a minute into Black Rose Immortal, the one where it goes electric-acoustic-electric again with variations on the main riff...do the acoustic part going into the electric again. I love that riff.

opethmaniac said:
Well, I've got a talk to do and I would need a 15/20 seconds long part of an Opeth song which could show the audience how the fuck they manage to combine heavy parts with mellow ones..
Suggestions ?

The guy who recommended the end part to drapery falls is awesome shout. OR try end few seconds of the Prologue on My Arms, Your Hearse into April Ethereal - amazin intro with double bass.

opethmaniac said:
Well, I've got a talk to do and I would need a 15/20 seconds long part of an Opeth song which could show the audience how the fuck they manage to combine heavy parts with mellow ones..
Suggestions ?

Prety much any Opeth song. Except for a few.