To all you idiots

Will Opeth sell out if the make it big?!

• Yes ... cars and bitch's for the martins

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • No ... They'll use the money to build a studio

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • They will be influenced by the popularity

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • The popularity will only fuel the desire to write awesome songs therefore causing Mikael to not be s

Votes: 14 28.6%

• Total voters

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
who think Opeth well possibly sell out if they make it big from releasing a mellow album.

Well first of all I think it is a good possibility that Opeth will hit the mainstream and maybe even hard with the new album .. they well get a lot of older (as in age) fans who are into prog into their stuff and for sure with that 70's feel (that is described by some who have heard the album as .. memorizing, timeless, 70's influenced but completely blows away most of the music created in the 70's, among many other great things) ... they will have a big impact on a lot of people who hear it ...

Even my fucking father wants to buy a copy as soon as it hits the shelf .. he is always asking me to play the mellow Opeth stuff and he even likes A fair judgment which is heavy at times .... my father hates distorted guitars and he listens to fucking Shania Twain for fuck sakes ... so Opeth definitely have something special going on that lures people into their music

I see Opeth moving in a similar direction as Pink Floyd - Releasing a few great albums .. and then releasing Opeth's version of Dark Side of the Moon which will make them more commercial .. but they will still make amazing music.

There are some down sides to this .. many actually but it will open people's eyes to great music and may convert more people to Opeth's heavier stuff so then they won't be pressured into making all mellow shit because their album sales for the old stuff will increase. Mikael also loves heavy music and he has said that it's what he wants to play for the rest of his life ... along with d2ish stuff.

So if Opeth makes it into the mainstream I will be happy. I know they won't sell out .. I know this for sure ...they know how much respect that their fans have for them. They also have a lot of respect for their fans.

Anyone who thinks that Opeth is going to sell out is a fucking moron and isn't worthy of an Opeth fan .. you should all know enough about Mikael and the group to know that it wouldn't be Opeth anymore if they were to sell out .... Mikael knows this and he knows that half of what it means to be Opeth is the fact that they will always put out good music that is original and just fucking mind blowing ... Mikael would never consider even selling- out .. you all know this .. don't be so ignorant to that which is so obvious

Have no fear :p

The only thing about opeth that is betraying is their fans who aren't really fans for thinking they would even concider playing not-so-great music for money ..

Get some fucking brains people ...

somebody waving a check for a high sum of money in your face is something hard to refuse but nothing will destroy Opeth ...

HAHhaha PMF!!.. "Opeth's tour of Newfoundland was a success... playing to sold out fish plants filled with 80 year old baywops doing jigs (newfoundland traditional dance) "

haha It would be cool .. mikael would be what we call screeeched in which include kissing a cod fish and downing a bottle of newfie screech .. I think that's how it's spelt anyway.. haha newfoundland can be so much fun sometimes.. I still hate this hick filled island.. but the scenery isn't all tha bad

I went to the International Var Show today..

I can't see Opeth selling out, or even succumbing to "Frontman Syndrome," which has claimed many good bands (and many awful ones as well)..

they do their best to share the publicity, and they play up the contribution that the non-Akerfeldt members make. I really respect how they act around fans and the press.

That being said, even if they make it somewhat big with D2, I don't think they'll attain the kind of popularity most one-hit wonders would.

Who would be a comparable band in the popular market (by that I mean.. what band has a similar level of popularity and respect in the music and fan communities?)

..I just like thinking and talking about D2 :D

Haha didn't we have this discussion with BWP? and then Mikael himself came and denied any claims of selling out:p I simply don't see it happening. Opeth doesn't make the kind of music that can sell out like say, In Flames, or Shadows Fall. It's far too advanced musically to be worth anything to anyone (musically speaking) in a "watered down" form. Meaning, they wouldn't sell out because A-the music is too damn good, and to make such amazing music, you have to be passionate. I don't think Mikael would trade that ability for the world. And B-the music, in a "sold out" form, would be pretty boring, and wouldn't have any qualities that the general public would be interested in. So, in conclusion, FUCK NO.:p

If they're ever to get real commercial air-time they'll need to cut down their song lengths, and I think Opeth really wont do that... I can see them becoming popular in the metal spotlight and region of music, as big as Pantera and all those other metal acts... but I really can't see them sacrificing their music to become all 'pop', I really don't think Mikael can do that to the band... I mean the Martins would leave instantly and go back to playin Viking Metal :).

Generally the popularity doesn't bother me... as long as there isn't too many kids around that think they're 'underground' for listening to Opeth and their music isn't ruined by their fanbase, I'll still be an avid fan.

Y'know, after reading that Damnation review in Digitalmetal.com, im not too sure anymore whether Damnation will actually break Opeth into the mainstream. It seems to me that Damnation will be a different kind of underground, judging by the review.

If it does actually sound like a cross between Camel/King Crimson and all those other prog bands, I can't see it breaking into the mainstream at all. You all must remember the antipathy the mainstream press holds for older style progressive rock, they like to see that time in the early 70s as a horrible time for music, when self indulgence came before good songwriting.

Anyway, what im saying is that I dont really think Damnation is going to be anywhere near as commercial sounding as we all think. Opeth's heavy stuff is underground as it's too heavy for the mainstream, wherear Damnation will be underground because it's too 'weird' for the mainstream.

All of this simply comes from reading that review of course, i havent actually listened to it yet :p

Someone asked me if I wanted to buy 2 tickets to a Metallica, Limp Bizkit and Lincoln Park show coming in July at the new Gillette Stadium in Foxboro (anyone?) because they could get me a good deal. After I harnessed the laughter from within, I declined and started thinking about Opeth. Imagine Opeth playing there. The headliners? The place is a football stadium!

I don't know. As far as selling out? As soon as there's a great band someone's got to utter the words SELL OUT before their heads explode, I swear! :lol: If they're good, someone's asking this. Right?

All I can add is from what I've seen live, from what I've read online by the band and about them band, Opeth give me the impression that they're just regular guys that are easy to get along with. They have problems like everyone else and they have fun like everyone else. Maybe it's just the US that makes artists get all stupid and sell out.