Questions to Biomechanical

:cool:
I was at that gig in Geece the crowd were mad:headbang:
Unfortunately Nevermore's bass player fell ill that night but they still played on:headbang:

That's cool. Nevermore played here a few months back. That gig is easily in the top three for me, Jeff Loomis is my hero and Warrel Dane is one of the best metal vocalists ever. Too bad Biomechanical wasn't on the bill that night, otherwise the night would've been unbelievable.:headbang:

Hey, a question for Chris and Jamie.

What amps did you use recording The Empires Of The Worlds? The same ones you used live? I saw Chris used a Framus Cobra half-stack, but I didn't manage to see what Jamie used? Pardon me if this has been discussed previously though.

Also, I mentioned the Steve Smyth interview to you guys (Jamie and Chris) after the gig, and it turns out I was wrong; you weren't the FIRST band he mentioned when asked what bands he digs at the moment. Don't worry, he still digs your stuff :)

You can read the interview here if you want:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2459

Hey dude! Was cool to meet you last month. I really enjoyed the gig.

For the recordings of Empires, we actually used a Line 6 POD XT. But we did a lot of work with it. We worked on getting 2 different sounds, and blending them together which created this awesome tone. John then sent the signal through an AFEX Exciter (think I've spelt that right?) which made the sound absolutely huge.

After that we then got Andy Sneap on board, and he then worked his magic on top of all of that.

Hope you have a cool Christmas dude, and hope to see ya soon. Take it easy.

Chris.

Fill in the next little daydreaming text :

"Biomechanical goes to the movies

British-steel emperors Biomechanical are in the process of recording an EP consisting of movie scores covers. Interviewed backstage in Paris while they were getting ready for the imminent gig, John K [singer] agreed that "movie scores are definitely an influence on the way we see music", just before reaching for the hairspray. Chris [guitarist], who was meditating while doing the handstand on a small chair as he always does before a show ("it keeps me on my toes"), assured that the band "tried to be very respectful of the works [they] covered, keep the spirit of the piece but make the songs Biomechanical songs". The interview was interrupted by Jon, Matt and Jamie storming in the room throwing dirty socks, magazines and live ducks at their bandmates. John had time to reveal to us the tentative tracklisting for the yet unnamed EP just before being hit right in the face by a magazine cover featuring a lady wearing a particularly small latex outfit.

Not final tracklisting :

Not final tracklisting :

1.20th Century Fox Fanfare (Alfred Newman)
2.DUNE (Toto)
3.Battle Of Hoth from the Empire Strikes Back (entire 15 minutes!)Williams
4.The Empirial March ESB Williams
5.Into The Asteroid Field ESB Williams
6.Arlington JFK Williams
7.Hellraiser II Main Theme Christopher young

drool.gif

:worship: Hellraiser soundtracks !

Dude... I hope you guys can make this come true one day.

Hey!

Just recieved 'Empires of the World' today from Amazon, and holy shit! I'm just pissed I didn't hear about you guys earlier! I gotta say, this is how I hope to be able to make music one day. So on to my question, type, thing to Jon. I too am a bassist (well, my main instrument), and I've hit somewhat of a rut. I've got theory down nicely, but can you recommend some playing exercises to practice, or instructional books or anything like that? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Alex

Hey!

Just recieved 'Empires of the World' today from Amazon, and holy shit! I'm just pissed I didn't hear about you guys earlier! I gotta say, this is how I hope to be able to make music one day. So on to my question, type, thing to Jon. I too am a bassist (well, my main instrument), and I've hit somewhat of a rut. I've got theory down nicely, but can you recommend some playing exercises to practice, or instructional books or anything like that? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Alex

:wave: Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Hey!

Alex

Hey Alex, glad you like the album :kickass:

I'm afraid I might not be able to give you the help you're looking for - although I was classically trained on piano (and bassoon - rock!) I taught myself bass + guitar so I never followed any instructional books/videos/exercises - sorry mate!

The way I learnt then (and now) was to listen to lots of different styles of music, work out what the bassists were doing and then jam along. Back in the day it was mainly Steve Harris and Cliff Burton (how I got into metal) - now I tend to vary between genres so as to progress as a player (and to keep myself interested). Although this may not be considered the best way to learn, I find that I can pick up a vast amount from listening to other peoples playing, partly from a technical side but mostly from how they work with the music. My attitude has always been that however technically amazing, lightning fast and great at scales you become, if you can't 'fit' a band then what's the point?!
For example, at the moment I'm really into playing 70's funk music (i.e. Curtis Mayfield, Average White Band, Ian Dury and the Blockheads etc). Some of the bass parts aren't necessarily difficult or technically challenging, but the feel and positioning of the notes is second to none. Having come primarily from the school of Steve Harris (i.e. focusing on speed and consistancy), I find this style makes me think more about the importance of each single note and the feel/groove that goes with it. I find this has really helped to progress my playing, even for Bio. For the same reason I like switching between guys like Andy Fraser and Flea, Tom Araya and Geddy Lee, Danny Thompson and Greg Lake - it keeps me on my toes, interested, and focuses on different aspects of bass playing.

Anyway, to sum up (Jesus, what a lecture!) I would mainly advise that you listen to as wide a variety of players as possible, even if just for inspiration, and then see where that takes you.

I hope this helps you dude,
Jon

Thanks so fucking much!! :headbang: I used to play oboe, so I'm not any cooler :lol: Yes, I am mainly listening to metal now, but definitely enjoy me some prog rock as well, but I will check out other stuff! Thanks for the words, and I'll definitely use it to hopefully get better!

:wave: Welcome to the Forum :wave:

:wave: I hope to hang out here alot, and spread the Biomech word! :worship:

Hey dude! Was cool to meet you last month. I really enjoyed the gig.

For the recordings of Empires, we actually used a Line 6 POD XT. But we did a lot of work with it. We worked on getting 2 different sounds, and blending them together which created this awesome tone. John then sent the signal through an AFEX Exciter (think I've spelt that right?) which made the sound absolutely huge.

After that we then got Andy Sneap on board, and he then worked his magic on top of all of that.

Hope you have a cool Christmas dude, and hope to see ya soon. Take it easy.

Chris.

Wow, a Pod Xt? I should have recogniced it, I have a Pod Xt myself! I would ask for some patches but I guess the Sneap-factor plays a major role in the overall sound of the record. :lol:

Do not underestimate the power of the Pod, Janne.:lol:

Thanks for you answer and Merry Christmas to you too Chris (and everyone else for that matter), it was nice meeting you all! You rocked!:kickass:

Hello guys in Biomechanical.

I saw you for the first and second time finally on your tour with Exodus in the UK. First time at Manchester, second in London. You may remember me, I was the guy who turned up in London depsite just coming out of hospital the day before after pain relief treatment so I had to miss most of Exodus' set (seen about 5 times anyway in the space of three years so it wasn't a huge loss, and since I know the guys anyway it was alright as I still got to chill with them, cheers to Jamie for lending me a backstage pass, would've got one if the underworld didn't take me off of Exodus' guestlist due to them having too many friends on it, cunts) and I spent time with John at the merchandise stand as I wasn't well to say the least.

Well the question I ask is that the friend of mine who was with me at Manchester (Phil) is at uni doing a film/media course and he has to make a film to enter into this festival thing and it goes towards his final mark. His idea was to hopefully make a short documentary thing about you guys when you're on your tour with 3 Inches Of Blood, covering things such as band history, doing a few live shots of the band playing, influences and other interviews and such. He's got in the planning stage at the moment and we were wondering if you guys were willing to go ahead with it. We'd try not to get in your way too much and it'd just be a fan film as such with copies for yourselves made with no intention of making a profit or anything like that. If you're interested let me know, we reckon it'd be a laugh. We were planning on going to atleast three of the live shows to get it done.

Hello guys in Biomechanical.

I saw you for the first and second time finally on your tour with Exodus in the UK. First time at Manchester, second in London. You may remember me, I was the guy who turned up in London depsite just coming out of hospital the day before after pain relief treatment so I had to miss most of Exodus' set (seen about 5 times anyway in the space of three years so it wasn't a huge loss, and since I know the guys anyway it was alright as I still got to chill with them, cheers to Jamie for lending me a backstage pass, would've got one if the underworld didn't take me off of Exodus' guestlist due to them having too many friends on it, cunts) and I spent time with John at the merchandise stand as I wasn't well to say the least.

Well the question I ask is that the friend of mine who was with me at Manchester (Phil) is at uni doing a film/media course and he has to make a film to enter into this festival thing and it goes towards his final mark. His idea was to hopefully make a short documentary thing about you guys when you're on your tour with 3 Inches Of Blood, covering things such as band history, doing a few live shots of the band playing, influences and other interviews and such. He's got in the planning stage at the moment and we were wondering if you guys were willing to go ahead with it. We'd try not to get in your way too much and it'd just be a fan film as such with copies for yourselves made with no intention of making a profit or anything like that. If you're interested let me know, we reckon it'd be a laugh. We were planning on going to atleast three of the live shows to get it done.

Hey buddy,

Hope you are feeling better now,

Best thing is to get your friend to contact me

Will have a chat and see if we can do this

Working our asses off on the album now.

Since you guys are in the middle of it...

- What have you done so far :D ?

- How do you feel things have evolved writing/recording-wise for you guys since the first album ? Any changes in the bio-brainstorming process ?

- What's easier now, what's worse ? Is there anything you have now you wished you had on the previous album(s) ?

- What is everyone's challenge for this new album ? Is there any direction you guys are taking the music compared to the previous albums ?

- VIDEO JOURNAL. That is not a question. Someone grab that camera. ....8)

- Do you plan on recording any covers (as a bonus track, for an EP...) ?

- Random thought you had today while working on the album :

Cheeeeeeeeerrs ! /\^^\m/

- What have you done so far :D ?

I feel like E-Nigma 'too many questions!!' lol

I can answer a few at a time

Drums,Rhythm guitars, Orchestral parts,Most vocals, Jamie is recording his solos this weekend and starting recording on Chris Webb's Solos next week.

- How do you feel things have evolved writing/recording-wise for you guys since the first album ? Any changes in the bio-brainstorming process ?

To be honest man, it's as diverse as before. Even though some parts are heavier that the Empires. Main thing for me is the fact that I am using new samples to record the orchestral arrangements so that changes a few things.
Brainstorming wise it has remained the same. Basically I write the material and the dudes put their sonic signature with their performances, solos, drum and bass parts and also Jon Collins (bass) has taken all the lyrics responsibilities for Cannibalised

J

Yay ! CHEEEERS MATE ! I know you're all pretty busy, thanks for taking the time. \m/^^\m/.

Getting new samples is like getting a brand new toybox. I remember back in the Commodore Amiga days, when I got nice samples to use with Soundtracker (man... I am getting fucking OLD ! Fuck >.<), I used to get that frantic brain surge, where you get all those ideas going on at once :err: and I just HAD to fire up Soundtracker, heh. It was fun.

Anyway. You guys show them what it's all about, we'll be ready to spread the word when the time cometh. Yeth. Have fun in the studio ! :D