[RC Autumn Reco Madness MMXIII] : The Reports

That's probably because you have heard literally 100% of the music all the rest of us even know. :tickled:

i'm pretty sure he's done with all the music that has ever existed and is getting into imaginary stuff now

Acid%20Bath%20When%20The%20Kite%20String%20Pops.jpg

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Goes Pop

Recommended by: neal

Short description: In my mind, this is a Royal Carnage album; an album that's universally loved on the forum and praised more highly here than elsewhere. I missed out on this disc when it was released. I do recall checking it out (based on RC hype) at some point. However, for whatever reason, I didn't do it for me at that time.

The best description I can offer is, it feels like an oddly progressive version of Alice on Chains, on meth instead of heroin. Acid Bath's music contains an element of darkness to it that few bands are capable of achieving, outside the realms of more extreme genres. This darkness is what reminds me of AiC. However, whereas Alice always seemed comfortable in their own musical skin, Acid Bath seems manic, transitioning from one musical thought to the next. Yet, this is also where Acid Bath succeeds. They make these transitions feel as if they were a necessary part of the journey, as opposed to a self-indulgent tangent. And although I never had a sense of where each song would go, the whole album has a cohesive, natural feel.

What I liked about this album: I love the clean vocals, and some of the more haunting, melodic moments. I also enjoy the way the album transitions from gentle groove to abrasive riff, without ever sounding forced.

What I did not like about this album: Some of the aforementioned abrasive moments didn't grab me. It wasn't that they were too heavy, just not compelling enough. I also didn’t care for the lyrics. I know for most, lyrics are a non-issue. And although the lyrics fit well with the music, they still felt a bit immature.

Bottom line: Good stuff. It isn't often that I pick up something from the early 90s... something that I've never heard... that still sounds fresh and relevant. This does.

Will I listen to this album again: Yes.

Will I buy this album: Yes.

Overall quality of recommendation: 8.5/10

I've said it before and I'll say it again: When The Kite String Pops is one of very, very few works of art that truly frightens me. A glorious masterpiece of terror.

acid bath is just the best

but i personally prefer paegan terrorism tactics by a hair

good report btw zod

puttin' in the effort
icon14.gif

EDIT: unlike the guy who drew that thumbs up icon

I fuckin' don't have time for this right now. Sorry guys.
My reco would have been Black Trip - Goin Under. Footbalm can check it out if he wants and post a comment.

You think I haven't gotten ripshit twisted to that album a million times before?!? You underestimate me, pal!

But now that you mention it...