rc's best albums of 2014 top lists

Dude, this new Swans album is their best since their reformation. Holy fuck!

I always liked My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky, for the most part.

I never saw why The Seer was so well-loved, to me it was good, but that's all.

To Be Kind is exactly the quality of music that I expect from these dudes. :kickass:

In my all-time Top 5, and quite possibly #1.

still think the warning is a better album overall

rage for order's highs (neue regel, the whisper) are arguably higher than anything on the warning, but the lows (chemical youth, gonna get close to you) are borderline unlistenable and embody all the worst aspects of 80's music

Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall
Drowned - Idola specus
Teitanblood - Death
StarGazer - A Merging to the Boundless (isn't this band an "RC" favorite)
Swallowed - Lunarterial
Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes
Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign
Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole
Impetuous Ritual - Unholy Congregation of Hypocritical Ambivalence
Nasheim - Solens Vemod

still think the warning is a better album overall/quote]I would rank their works:

1A. Rage for Order
1B. Operation: Mindcrime
C. The Warning

rage for order's highs (neue regel, the whisper) are arguably higher than anything on the warning, but the lows (chemical youth, gonna get close to you) are borderline unlistenable and embody all the worst aspects of 80's music
The record hold such a special place in my heart. I can still remember the warm summer day I bought the cassette. Pulling out of Vintage Vinyl (still in business), unwrapping the cassette, breathing in that "new cassette" smell, popping the tape in my new Clarion stereo, in my 1979 Toyota Celica, turning left on Route 1 and letting that thing blast out of my Kenwood speakers. OK... I think I'm getting a little hard. But I digress. For me, the stand out tracks on RFO are "I Only See in Infrared", "The Killing Words" and "Screaming in Digital". I would definitely rank "Gonna Get Close to You" as the worst song on the record. However, I don't hate it. I actually like "Chemical Youth". Mind you, I was 17 when I bought that cassette and lyrics of rebellion spoke to me. I suspect I still like that song because it has been bathing in nostalgia since then.

Regardless, the run that band had from the EP up to (arguably) "Promised Land" is unparalleled for me. The diversity from album to album and the high level of songwriting is just outstanding. And while I'm not a fan of "Empire", it's hard not to acknowledge that the band delivered both a unique sounding record and brought themselves to the masses with it.

Leave it to RC to spend a 2014 thread......................... talking about '80s Queensryche :lol:

Favorites:
Schammasch - Contradiciton
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata
Behemoth - The Satanist
Blut Aus Nord - MVIII
Scar Symmetry - The Singularity pt. 1
Emptiness - Nothing But the Whole
Spectral Lore - III
Infestus - The Reflecting Void
Twilight - Beneath Trident's Tomb
Decapitated - Blood Mantra
Ethereal Riffian - Aeonian
Noneuclid - Metatheosis

Enjoyed, but need to revisit:
Opeth - Pale Communion
Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere
Fen - Carrion Skies
Wolves in the Throne Room - Celestite
Allegaeon - Elements of the Infinite
Nasheim - Solens Vemod
Bloodbath - Grand Morbid Funeral
Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun
Thanitfaxath - Sacred White Noise
Dark Fortress - Venereal Dawn

out of my three or four 2014 albums i spent the most time with nasheim, so that one wins

then i played summoning and enslaved over and over again