Really good progressive rock?

Svetovid

Wanderer/Nebelmeer
May 14, 2012
Somewhere not cold enough
I was watching the documentary "Until the Light Takes Us" and there was a part where Fenriz was at a shop playing King Crimson's Epitaph (I had to shazam it, as I had never heard it and wasn't familiar with King Crimson.) I loved it. I got their debut and Red as it was recommended by the record store I was at. I'm looking for more stuff along the lines of Epitaph, I love the super progressive sound they had. I haven't liked much of the progressive metal I have heard so I think I am looking for rock, not metal.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Nektar's albums "Journey To The Centre Of The Eye" and "A Tab In The Ocean". Maybe also some of the early stuff by Genesis (with Peter Gabriel on vocals), like e.g.

King Crimson- Lizard,(3rd album)and In the wake of Poseidon (2nd album)
Geenslade first 2 albums
Camel-Mirage, and Moonmadness
Yes-Fragile, Close to the Edge, Relayer, Tales From topographic Oceans
Genesis-Nursery Cryme, Selling England By the Pound, trick of the Tail, Wind and wuthering
Gentle Giant- Aquiring the Taste, Three Friends, In a Glass House
Premiata Forneria Marconi-L'Isola Di Niente, Photos of Ghosts
Kansas- Song For America, Left Overture, Point of Know Return

The best non-metal progressive rock band is Rush

Starcastle.....yeah! I have their first album. When Yes took 3 years to tour, and do solo albums, before rejoining for the next album, Starcastle put out their first album. A lot of Yes fans got into them, to hold them over, till Yes released Going For the One in '77

Happy The Man
Renaissance (real orchestra...folk prog)
Popul Vuh
Tangerine Dream-2nd through 6th albums
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Brand X (Phil Collins....drummer...he was awesome on these albums!)Moroccan Roll, Product, Unorthodox Behavior
UK-2 albums ST, and Danger Money (Bill Bruford, John Wetton, Alan Holdsworth, Terry Bozzio, Eddie Jobson)

Uriah Heep- The Wizard
"He told me tales and he drank my wine,
Me and my magic man kind of feeling fine."
Makes me wanna just... sell my xbox and start playing dnd again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0iuaxvkXv4

Ayreon- The Castle Hall
I actually recommend the entire 'Into the Electric Castle' album, Arjen has put together an entire progressive rock opera story with a lot of GREAT guests, including Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6htH064TRY

In a Glass House and Octopus by Gentle Giant along with Aqualung and Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull are also progressive essentials. Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die is also an extremely worthy album of the early 70s.

King Crimson- Lizard,(3rd album)and In the wake of Poseidon (2nd album)
Geenslade first 2 albums
Camel-Mirage, and Moonmadness
Yes-Fragile, Close to the Edge, Relayer, Tales From topographic Oceans
Genesis-Nursery Cryme, Selling England By the Pound, trick of the Tail, Wind and wuthering
Gentle Giant- Aquiring the Taste, Three Friends, In a Glass House

In a Glass House and Octopus by Gentle Giant along with Aqualung and Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull are also progressive essentials.

Anything Yes has done is worth listening to. Genesis's Lamb Lies Down is their best IMO.