THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK THREAD

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathiäs;8654236 said:
It goes without saying that any of the early material is far superior to that of the Morse era.

Why do you say that ? I mean as if an insult to Morse with the "without saying" bit. Not that I have heard those albums but he seemed a good replacement as there was some common ground between The Dregs and Kansas. He has also added a bit of a progressive edge to some Purple songs too.

Dregs was seriously progressive though they seem to fall under fusion but then were quite different from most fusion bands of the era. Dregs was far above and beyond any of the progressive bands mentioned in this thread.

I heard a Proto Kaw song on deep tracks a few years ago I really liked but have yet to hunt down one of thier discs.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Runk, I cant watch your clips but speaking for myself alot of the "dark melancholic" stuff I have a hard time considering progressive, even Floyd, its artistic, mood setting, deep and alot of other things but doesnt really push musical boundries. Floyds songs for instance are often very simplistic and common progressions, standard timing, very predictable, very commercially viable.

** not a put down guys, loved Floyd before I grew weary from repetitive listening and radio play, just an observation

Another band worth mentioning is Goblin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8NDmGPsDNM

Indeed sir! How sloppy of me to forget what a fantastic album Roller is!
I also like Claudio Simonetti's solo stuff.

I tend to like darker prog more than cheesy prog as well. (80's era Marillion blended the two perfectly though)
That is why my 5 favorite prog rock bands are Rush, Camel, Marillion, Glass Hammer, and The Syn.

Wanted to add that since all my household CD players have been down I have been spending some time again listening to XM's "Deep Tracks" which is part of my Direct TV package and its a good place to hear some of the more obscure songs by various bands, only a certain percentage of it is truely progressive but most of the rest still offers a bit more distance than your average radio friendly music. I caught another killer song by Proto Kaw and a pretty interesting old tune by Nektar called Remember the Future. Then they play stuff by Genesis, Yes, ELP, Tull, and other more commonly known bands. Other stuff is more like jam bands or live jams by like Allman Brothers, Neil Young, southern rock, ect. They they occasionally hit the blues, Dylan, Petty, Knofler, 60's psychodelic, all kinds of stuff but most usually obscure songs only true fans of such bands would know. Im finding it to be an excellent alternative to my typical listening. Theres an old band called BeeBop Deluxe (sp?) that I find musically interesting but dont care much for the vocals.

Wanted to add that since all my household CD players have been down I have been spending some time again listening to XM's "Deep Tracks" which is part of my Direct TV package and its a good place to hear some of the more obscure songs by various bands, only a certain percentage of it is truely progressive but most of the rest still offers a bit more distance than your average radio friendly music. I caught another killer song by Proto Kaw and a pretty interesting old tune by Nektar called Remember the Future. Then they play stuff by Genesis, Yes, ELP, Tull, and other more commonly known bands. Other stuff is more like jam bands or live jams by like Allman Brothers, Neil Young, southern rock, ect. They they occasionally hit the blues, Dylan, Petty, Knofler, 60's psychodelic, all kinds of stuff but most usually obscure songs only true fans of such bands would know. Im finding it to be an excellent alternative to my typical listening. Theres an old band called BeeBop Deluxe (sp?) that I find musically interesting but dont care much for the vocals.

I remember when I had Direct Tv from 06- summer 08 the xm channels were great and Deep Tracks was one of the channels that I like.This is what fm radio should be.I wish I still had Direct Tv just for thoese XM channels but sadly I have Comcast now.:cry:

wHAT IS cOMCAST AND HOW IS IT, how DOES IT WORK ECT? Direct is kinda cool with XM now but before when they had whatever music stations they had, they had this one called "Standards" that played all that older Sinatra, Fitzgerraled, Cole and younger vocalists covering those old "standards" and I kind of missed that, it was good chillin, sex, or sleeping music. With XM all I have is their smooth jazz channel ??? Watercolors or something. Before I could mix it up between Standards and what ever the old smooth jazz channel was. Great bedtime music... either way... lol

wHAT IS cOMCAST AND HOW IS IT, how DOES IT WORK ECT? Direct is kinda cool with XM now but before when they had whatever music stations they had, they had this one called "Standards" that played all that older Sinatra, Fitzgerraled, Cole and younger vocalists covering those old "standards" and I kind of missed that, it was good chillin, sex, or sleeping music. With XM all I have is their smooth jazz channel ??? Watercolors or something. Before I could mix it up between Standards and what ever the old smooth jazz channel was. Great bedtime music... either way... lol

Comcast is a cable company.It ok but I like having the Direct box in my room which now I don't have.Also I like to flip back and forth which since having comcast I don't have the box or the remote but it in the living room.I remember they had this weird channel which name isn't coming up in my brain that I like alot.I also like the liquid metal station although they did play some metalcore and didn't have enough Power or Prog it was the only place that you can hear Black,Death or Doom metal on the xm channels.

Heard a great song by Renaissance, it grooved right along too, I never check out that band but it sounded like it would be worth it. Whoever that girl was she can sing too, at first I thought it might be Jefferson Airplane or Starship because she sounded a bit like Grace but the music wasnt just right and then I heard her do some things I never heard Grace Slick do so I grabbed the remote and put the view on.

Then they just played something by Beck from Blow by Blow and now Steely Dan... damn I love this channel/station.

Randy - I have tried that Liquid Metal station a few times and never lasted more than 30 second to a minute. I HATE that shit. I like this new one they have thats called "new hardrock" or something along that lines, they play some good groovin stuff the few times I tuned in, another time they had some growly assed bullshit and I turned them off.

Heard a great song by Renaissance, it grooved right along too, I never check out that band but it sounded like it would be worth it. Whoever that girl was she can sing too, at first I thought it might be Jefferson Airplane or Starship because she sounded a bit like Grace but the music wasnt just right and then I heard her do some things I never heard Grace Slick do so I grabbed the remote and put the view on.

Then they just played something by Beck from Blow by Blow and now Steely Dan... damn I love this channel/station.

Randy - I have tried that Liquid Metal station a few times and never lasted more than 30 second to a minute. I HATE that shit. I like this new one they have thats called "new hardrock" or something along that lines, they play some good groovin stuff the few times I tuned in, another time they had some growly assed bullshit and I turned them off.

The Liquid Metal station have heard has changed to the core shit and stuff like Pantera so I get why you may not like it but the old liquid metal ruled.It was the only place you can hear Black,Death, Doom and Sludge metal on the radio unless thoses genres are not your thing.The new hardrock station was a hit or miss station.It would play some great stuff like Alice In Chains,Faith No More,Rage Against The Machine and Soundgarden but then it would be horrible shit like 3 Doors down,Breaking Benjamin,Korn,Limp Bizkit and Nickelback.How is the Boneyard nowdays razoredge?It was good station to hear classic metal like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden and the Power and Prog metal bands but it did play stuff like Gay Leppard and Posion but still it was good for the classic,power and prog metal bands you can hear.Also they played Thrash metal too which was cool.

The few times I listened it was primarily the old pop metal which was fine for me in the 80's but its like "classic" rock to me now, I just dont need to listen to that stuff over and over, decade after decade. I like most of the other rock bands you just trashed and would rather listen to them than rehash old grunge but it all has its time for me, depends on my mood. The old pop metal is still cool if say its a nice hot summer Saturday night and your headed out to play. Good rowdy fun times music. No Im not into thrash outside of Mustaine or select Metallica songs. Death, black, doom or sludge negative statements are not for me. If Im down the blues works just fine otherwise give me some good progressive music or boogie. Power grows old way too fast and that is a select song thing too.

The few times I listened it was primarily the old pop metal which was fine for me in the 80's but its like "classic" rock to me now, I just dont need to listen to that stuff over and over, decade after decade. I like most of the other rock bands you just trashed and would rather listen to them than rehash old grunge but it all has its time for me, depends on my mood. The old pop metal is still cool if say its a nice hot summer Saturday night and your headed out to play. Good rowdy fun times music. No Im not into thrash outside of Mustaine or select Metallica songs. Death, black, doom or sludge negative statements are not for me. If Im down the blues works just fine otherwise give me some good progressive music or boogie. Power grows old way too fast and that is a select song thing too.

The only grunge bands I said were Alice In Chains and Soundgarden.Rage Against The Machine is a alt hard rock band with rap in them and Faith No More is a alt hard rock band too.So you don't like AIC but you like Limp Bizkit? The other good band on that hard rock staion is Altar Bridge which I think you like.

I hate Limp Biskut they are tools. I like Three Doors down, Matchbox,select Nickleback songs, Shinedown, that Breaking Benjamin song that was big 4-5 years ago but the rest of that album didnt match up, I listened to the first ALter Bridge CD alot but for some reason didnt spend much time with the recent one, never heard anything with Chris Cornell I didnt like, never said I didnt like Alice in Chains just that I didnt want to hear that stuff over and over and over, Candlebox is one of my nitchs from that era, dont need to be explained what kind of music is what, like what Ive heard by Tool but never invested, love the new song by Halestorm, Disturbed has some good stuff, I liked Def Leppards early material right along side of Whitesnake and VanHalen, I like alot of the new hard edged rock of the past two decades... Im on my 5th, other stuff misses the mark or comes off too teenage little punk bitch, I follow no trends or hate fads cause your not cool if you dont hate, bla bla bla. I love Dream Theater and have since 92, most of my music purchases are Progressive metal or catchup on old stuff I never personally owned or dont have on CD, from fusion to progressive rock to just hardrock, to the blues and even some old jazz standard stuff, if it rocks and I like it I dont care what the name of the band is.

I hate Limp Biskut they are tools. I like Three Doors down, Matchbox,select Nickleback songs, Shinedown, that Breaking Benjamin song that was big 4-5 years ago but the rest of that album didnt match up, I listened to the first ALter Bridge CD alot but for some reason didnt spend much time with the recent one, never heard anything with Chris Cornell I didnt like, never said I didnt like Alice in Chains just that I didnt want to hear that stuff over and over and over, Candlebox is one of my nitchs from that era, dont need to be explained what kind of music is what, like what Ive heard by Tool but never invested, love the new song by Halestorm, Disturbed has some good stuff, I liked Def Leppards early material right along side of Whitesnake and VanHalen, I like alot of the new hard edged rock of the past two decades... Im on my 5th, other stuff misses the mark or comes off too teenage little punk bitch, I follow no trends or hate fads cause your not cool if you dont hate, bla bla bla. I love Dream Theater and

have since 92, most of my music purchases are Progressive metal
or catchup on old stuff I never personally owned or dont have on
CD, from fusion to progressive rock to just hardrock, to the
blues and even some old jazz standard stuff, if it rocks and I
like it I dont care what the name of the band is.

The teenage little punk bitch is why I dislike a lot of todays rock bands.I don't think I heard the early def stuff.Just the poppy stuff.I do like Van Halen and whitesnake is good at their blues rock stuff.You should keep listening to Altar Bridge.At first I think it was gonna suck because it had members of Creed but I heard one of their songs and was bown away by it.There guitarist Mark Tremonti is the best in radio rock music and has showed his skills he didn't show in creed and their singer is better than that scott guy who was annoying.This band may not be new but Muse are a another great band you should check out.I hate limp bizquick too.

Creed was good stuff and I like Scotts voice. I guess there was a problem there with him not allowing solos, then that Alter Bridge come out and its like holy shit the guy can wail, hes a bit different though which is not a bad thing. I think they are playing a new Creed song. Yes Def Leppard gets alot of flack for Pyromania and Hysteria but I listenend to them when they came out, my band even played two songs from Hysteria, it was the sound of the times for rockers. The producer Mutt Langes input on thsoe two albums changed the bands sound but made them rich. Whats interesting is that if you listen to the Shania Twain music that made her popular back whenever and are fimiliar with those two Leppard albums you can hear so many similliarities. Also speaking of Leppard... Vivian Campbell palys with them now, for years I guess,maybe even over a decade now, but anyhow around 90 or so he did an album with a band called River Dogs and for whatever reason that tape hit the spot for me. The guy Rob Lamonth had a fat voice voice and wrote great hard edged rock that I didnt find cheezy in the least. Most topics were a bit social political or relationship stuff, I really need to get that on CD, it kicks butt and Campbells guitar is as worthy as his Dio stuff only show his seasoned skill and creativity... I havent heard any Leppard since hes been with them or since Hysteria actually.

Goddammit you faggots, this is THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK THREAD. Take your private chat about random bullshit and gtfo

Ah, this thread was dead when I started talking about the deep tracks station anyhow which plays plenty of progressive music. SO STFU, GTFO and DFCB.