Progressive Rock

Hell Awaits Us All

New Metal Member
Oct 22, 2006
Killing You
I have just recently gotten into progressive rock and I must say it is may be the greatest form of music EVER!! wow

soooo beautiful.... I'm listening to king crimson right now.... amazing

I've only just been delving properly into progressive music outside of progressive metal but what I've discovered so far has been a proper eye opener. I'm really taken with the old 70s symphonic prog like Camel, Genesis, Yes etc. and other classic bands from around that time like Gentle Giant, Rush, Mike Oldfield and Eloy. I've also managed to squeeze a bit of neo progressive stuff in there with the first two Marillion albums.

Prog was just one of those genres I was always threatening to push the boat out for and really get into, but I never felt it was the right time until now. It reminds me of the feeling I had when I first really got into metal.

I only ever got into the classic better know bands - Rush, King Crimson, Marillion

Amazing music, though it's not something I listen to that often.

I wouldn't say best form of music ever. It's actually very limited in its mode of expression, but if done well it can be quite expressive. Most of the good stuff has been mentioned so far, and I'm not sure why people are so keen on collecting hundreds of prog records when there's only a few good ones. The genre's lived its time and overstayed its welcome as far as i'm concerned.

Progressive is definatly not a limited form of music. I do get sick of symphonic prog, but that is like getting sick of NWOBHM. There is much more to it. I bet there are thousands of good prog albums out there. My favorite band of all time is king crimson. I also like magma, tangerine dream (did you know that they are classified as a subgenre of prog, krautrock?), and pink floyd. SOme newer ones I like are the mars volta and radiohead, as well as lots of prog metal (tool for one)

I wouldn't say best form of music ever. It's actually very limited in its mode of expression, but if done well it can be quite expressive. Most of the good stuff has been mentioned so far, and I'm not sure why people are so keen on collecting hundreds of prog records when there's only a few good ones. The genre's lived its time and overstayed its welcome as far as i'm concerned.
dumb

I've been listening to prog rock since I was a baby. I guess I've been very lucky.
But I'm always dissapointed when I go onto a forum and Renaissance fails to be mentioned. They're definately one of the pioneers of the genre. Very folk influenced. the only electric instruments is bass I believe.

http://www.myspace.com/renaissance7377

My dad who got me into prog didn't even know that it was a different genre than rock. He just thought they were long rock songs. Genesis, King Crimson, Renaissance, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, ELP, and Yes were, to me, the pioneers and also the best. There are, of course, some modern prog bands that are as good or better.

Everyone should check out Cirkus as well. Very Emerson, Lake and Palmerish. Good synth too.

now i'm listen a lot of camel
i like pink floyd too... roger waters is touring now and he will come to my country in march... can't wait for it :kickass:

Djöfull;5813133 said:
REnaissance sound really good. Thanx bazooka!

No problem. And if you ever think about buying any of their albums don't be discouraged by a short tracklisting of like 5 or 6 songs. You won't be ripped off; the songs are usually very long.

They're one of the few bands with a female singer that I like.

Also for some prog with pop influence, you should check out Alan Parsons Project. I really like them.

there's so many good bands from that era (especially from england)
often a band would put out one album and just vanish, but would leave a treasure..

:)