Progressive Rock

For progressive rock this site is amazing - www.progarchives.com

I've listened to lots of progressive rock and can conclude that Yes's 1972 track 'close to the edge' (from the album of the same name) is probably the best thing ever recorded. If you don't know it, go and listen to it now.

Fuck that. They don't use drums; they're not rock!

Prog rock I endorse:
King Crimson
Yes
Camel
Jade Warrior

I seem to remember those exact four bands on the samples page of ANUS.com. Like exactly, and jade warrior is more obscure, so thats really wierd (or fishy). I endorse them too, but I find yes to be overrated. KIng Crimson, I endorse to the nth degree. The construction of light is amazing.

Umm, I guess tangerine dream aren't rock really, but they are still prog, somehow. Krautrock is early electronica, which is from the same time period, and has the same attitude and stuff, and it developed alongside english prog. I guess you would have to ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about, but they are essentially prog rock.

hello guys, culd you plz throw in some suggestions where to start off with some good progressive stuff, so far ive only heard dreamtheater, some of JT bruce but i really liked it, what more albums should i check out, thnx :)

<Ed><is><dead> if you like Dream theater you can start with Rush and Yes, the bands DT has ripp off constantly eheh.

Yes, listen to the fragile or relayer. Both great albuns.
Rush i only have 2112 and live dvds, good stuff too.

<Ed><is><dead>: Recommendations would probably be based on which sub-genre of prog you're interested in. It would be a bad idea to confuse a newcomer to prog with long lists of albums from every genre, so I personally recommend you start with early-mid 70s classic prog. This is basically where prog blossomed after the prototypes that preceded it in the late 60s.

Some of the most popular and accesible albums, which would be ideal for the newcomer, include:

King Crimson- In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
(Widely considered to be the first 'fully-fledged' progressive rock album)

Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (1971)
(Truly epic and unsettling music)

Gentle Giant - Octopus (1972)
(Very clever compositions from a very unique and talented band. Catchy too)

Yes - Close to the Edge (1972)
(Words can't do this justice)

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound (1973)
(Very accesible, and very highly regarded in 70s prog circles)

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (1973)
(Somewhat more of an acquired taste, but definitely one of the more ambitious prog albums of its time)

As I said, just a starting point (this is where I started). All of these bands produced several more great albums during this period, which are also worth checking out if you like what you hear above. And, of course, don't forget to check out Rush's later 70s albums - 2112 (1976), A Farewell to Kings (1977), and Hemispheres (1978). Rush are probably the best example of a 70s progressive band making a succesful transition into the 1980s (a decade which also yielded some fantastic prog - but that's another story)

cool, look at all the love in this thread

king crimson is still my favorite with pink floyd a close second - I haven't really gotten into anything outside of floyd, tool, crimson, and camel simply because those bands have soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many songs (and so many long songs)

Prog is one of my favourite genres. My favourites are Yes, Genesis (with Peter Gabriel ;)) and Nektar. I also enjoy some stuff by Camel, Van der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant, ELP, King Crimson and The Strawbs.

OneAmRadioBigger.jpg

www.theoneamradio.com/

I don't know if you guys have heard of this band, One AM Radio, but he plays sort of a mix between progressive/post rock and electronic music. This is more modern than the bands listed here but still applies, I think.

Van der Graaf Generator and King Crimson are the best prog bands, I like Pink Floyd but I kind of dislike Yes and Genesis (it's strange because I adore Steve Hackett's solo stuff).

Highly recomennded bands are also Henry Cow, Faust, Soft Machine, Amon D&#252;&#252;l II, Ange, Osanna, Mandalaband, Novalis, Bo Hansson, Museo Rosenbach...

Reactions: IOfTheStorm
Interesting that no one has mentioned any of the newer prog bands. In addition to the 70s stuff these bands are also worth checking out:

The flower kings
The tangent
IQ
spocks beard
transatlantic
Ozric tentacles
Porcupine tree
wobbler

Anybody like Magellan?

I just got Symphony for a Misanthrope, and despite all the cheesiness, I kinda like it.

Plus, I'm a little bit of a misanthrope myself, and the album just speaks to me.

Interesting that no one has mentioned any of the newer prog bands.
Maybe the reason is most of them are boring rip-offs? Not all, Porcupine is ok and I enjoy several Pendragon and Marillion (but later era, without Fish) songs, but not many of newer prog is original and interesting.

Spock's Beard and Transatlantic definitely are. IQ and The Flower Kings are quite enjoyable for a big prog fan but there's NOTHING original about them. I can agree that The Tangent is good, still it was all played before. I don't want to write about Ozric Tentacles because I don't know their music well, it never managed to interest me enough.

Ozric Tentacles are far from a rip off, first of all they are not influenced by classical prog rock bands, but more by Gong or Hawkwind. They have their own style anyway. Spock's Beard are the definition of boredom and non-sense wankery, without any ideas that matter. It is true that most modern prog rock bands try to immitate the old masters of the genre, The Mars Volta is probably the best new trully progressive rock band.

I agree that most of them are not completely original but it is not fair to not give them some credit for what they have done and are doing now.

Nektar - A Tab in the Ocean, Remember the Future, and Recycled

buy those 3 albums, in that order. this band is definitely in my top 3 70's prog bands with Pink Floyd and King Crimson