Progressive Rock

I wouldn't say best form of music ever. It's actually very limited in its mode of expression, but if done well it can be quite expressive. Most of the good stuff has been mentioned so far, and I'm not sure why people are so keen on collecting hundreds of prog records when there's only a few good ones. The genre's lived its time and overstayed its welcome as far as i'm concerned.

By its intrinsic nature, prog is one of the styles of music with the broadest mode of expression. You are absolutely incorrect sir. You are going to tell me that bands as diverse as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, The Dear Hunter, and Deus Ex Machina (to name a few newer bands) represent a style of music limited in its range? That is absurd. Prog is only as limited as the imagination and abilities of the members.

As for my opinions on prog, I love it. Some of my favorite albums:

Os Mutantes - O 'A e o Z'
Caravan - If I Could Do it Again, I'd Do It All Over You
Deus Ex Machina - Cinque
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
ELP - Tarkus
Yes - Close to the Edge
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways

Just recently getting into prog
i really really dig porcupine tree
what are some other recommendations that come close to the spacey tripped out stuff they do which is mostly their older stuff
if anyone has never heard of THE AURORA PROJECT...check em out
lead singer sounds like maynard a little and they are very spacey and psychedelic (from Holland i think)

Prog Metal is where it's at! Listen to Isis, Old Man Gloom, Red Sparowes and Fall Back Down by Perceval Gage (hey, got to get it in there...)

now i'm listen a lot of camel
i like pink floyd too... roger waters is touring now and he will come to my country in march... can't wait for it :kickass:

I hope I get to see this guy live. Coming some time in April.

I've been listening to prog rock since I was a baby. I guess I've been very lucky.

I'm the same. I'm grateful my parents listened to that stuff while I was growing up.

By its intrinsic nature, prog is one of the styles of music with the broadest mode of expression. You are absolutely incorrect sir. You are going to tell me that bands as diverse as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, The Dear Hunter, and Deus Ex Machina (to name a few newer bands) represent a style of music limited in its range? That is absurd. Prog is only as limited as the imagination and abilities of the members.

yea I totally agree, I can't believe that somebody would think prog rock is "limited in its expression"

damn straight! Pop punk is limited in it's expression, as is rubbish like power metal, prog has depth and soul, it uses the music with crafted skill to convey whatever emotion the band are going for. It's not just dragons for dragons sake like some bands I can't be arsed to mention or simple platitudes like pop. Prog is real! long live Dave Gilmour!

TMV are good but their only great album is their full length debut Deloused in the Comatorium. The rest are plagued with masturbatory waste and botched production experiments. Although L'Via L'Viaquez is a damn good song in the Santana tradition.

As for best new truly progressive rock band, I would probably go with Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. A lot of the newer prog bands seem to be a "prog-lite" such as Kaddisfly, dredg, The Dear Hunter, Portugal. The Man, etc. because they meld progressive ideas such as complex rhythms, atmospheric effects-laden guitars, meandering song structures, ambitious and pretentious lyrics and concepts... yet they have short poppy songs.

Oh yeah, Coheed and Cambria. They are probably my favorite now that I think about it. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 is a masterpiece as is Good Apollo. And they are an utterly fantastic live band. If you don't know their music, they are part Rush, part Queensryche, part Iron Maiden, part Yes, part Pink Floyd, but paradoxically very modern.

I love the music in Coheed and Cambria, I just can't get over the guys irritating vocal. So whiny. dest fit for me...

TMV are good but their only great album is their full length debut Deloused in the Comatorium. The rest are plagued with masturbatory waste and botched production experiments. Although L'Via L'Viaquez is a damn good song in the Santana tradition.
"Deloused..." is easily their least good. They are quite far from "masturbatory waste" too, in a matter of fact, "Frances The Mute" is a simple album and not complicated at all, if you listen to it carefully. It is seemingly complicated and kinda fucked up, but in reality all the ideas are simple structured. "Amputechture" almost in the same quality with it, though i prefer "Frances.." for its emotional power.

Claudio's voice is superb, and it's not whiny in the slightest. He's like a far more talented version of Geddy Lee.

As to Deloused being the least good album, in your opinion. In mine, Frances the Mute is overloaded with boring pointless ambient passages and Amputechture has some of the most pointlessly layered and irritating production in modern prog. Also, Cedric's voice can be VERY annoying.

They might imagine such passages serve a purpose, but I'm into music to listen to music. When I listen to At the Drive-In or The Mars Volta, what I want is wild and crazy music that is fun to listen to and sing along to. I really don't care if it's conceptual or anything like that. Quite a bit of Frances the Mute is relegated to lengthy passages that are just boring. They break up the flow of the album and they exist merely to make the album longer.

Frances the Mute was the album that got an incredible amount of people to start hating The Mars Volta, and that's largely because it's poorly written. I was a big fan of Cedric and Omar until that album came out. Now it's been years and the only song I listen to anymore is L'Via L'Viaquez, and even then I can't really stand to listen to the whole thing because of the repitition. To be fair, I don't listen to Deloused anymore either. It doesn't have much lasting power. I won't call TMV overrated because there are just as many (if not more) haters than there are fans, but I will say that I just do not really care for the band that much. At the Drive-In was MUCH better.

They might imagine such passages serve a purpose, but I'm into music to listen to music. When I listen to At the Drive-In or The Mars Volta, what I want is wild and crazy music that is fun to listen to and sing along to.
Just because they are not totally "Wild and crazy" as you wished they were, it doesn't mean they don't have any value. So what you are saying is that you were just dissapointed by it, because it was not what you wanted, not that this is not good. Why you put At The Drive In and TMV in the same sentence anyway, it seems to me that you haven't realized that these are two different bands, that play different kind of music (that has some common elements and roots, yes), and of course there is no point of expecting the music to be the same.
LuminousAether said:
I really don't care if it's conceptual or anything like that. Quite a bit of Frances the Mute is relegated to lengthy passages that are just boring. They break up the flow of the album and they exist merely to make the album longer.
Quite a bit of "Frances The Mute" is nowhere near what you say it is. Most of it is simple music, as i told you before. When i say that they serve a purpose, i didn't mean only the concept, but the purpose of musical variety and creating a change of tempo and mood. And boy..do they succeed on that. Having an energetic bursting moment after some calm parts with acoustic guitars and trumpets, that serve the purpose of a growing tension, makes it even better.

LuminousAether said:
Frances the Mute was the album that got an incredible amount of people to start hating The Mars Volta, and that's largely because it's poorly written.
What? Most of the TMV fans i know (fans of "Deloused..." too) think that this is TMV magnum opus so far. I even became a TMV fan because of it. "Poorly written"? I can't see how is that. The ideas are all deliriously inspired and the way that they are combined shows how much the band has worked on them as well. Absolutely no flat moment. Have you really gave it a fair number of listening sesssions? And i'm not talking about listening to it as background activity while doing something else.

LuminousAeuther said:
I was a big fan of Cedric and Omar until that album came out. Now it's been years and the only song I listen to anymore is L'Via L'Viaquez, and even then I can't really stand to listen to the whole thing because of the repitition. To be fair, I don't listen to Deloused anymore either. It doesn't have much lasting power. I won't call TMV overrated because there are just as many (if not more) haters than there are fans, but I will say that I just do not really care for the band that much. At the Drive-In was MUCH better.
I love "Relationship Of Command" nearly as much as "Frances.." but "Frances.." is probably superior. Its variety, HUGE inspiration, the hundrends of clever and fantastic ideas make it that way.

One of the best - yes, the best one, nope, that title goes to "Mirage" in my opinion.
thanx 4 recommendation
i went with Mirage and 1973 self titled
should have asked you which one has most opeth influences
holy shit..."mystic queen"off of self titled is AMAZING
I RECOMMEND IF ANYONE ELSE LIKES OPETH OUT THERE