THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK THREAD

No "Hocus Pocus"

I figured most people were fimiliar with that so I posted other songs. Hocus Pocus was a radio hit and is a progressive/hardrock/premetal staple of the era along with songs like Radar Love, which was a bit progressive itself... Locomotive Breath, Mississippi Queen, Alright Now, Frankenstien, Roundabout, various Zeppelin, ect. were all very important radio songs for carving musics future. Many had a progressive edge.

heres Frankenstien Ronnie Montrose on guitar
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SLTe0Ls3qs&feature=related[/ame]

Mountains Nantucket Sleighride which I consider progressive rock

Billy Joel Ballad of Billy the Kid

Atomic Rooster VUG

Last edited by a moderator:
Uriah Heep Salisbury pt 1

part II

truely epic

I cant find the studio version of Alice Coopers Halo of Flies and dont like any live versions that get it across but anyone that likes to rock and doesnt own "Killer"... Halo of Flies and Desperado are worth the price of admission

I'm curious to get your thoughts on the majority of the Collins era. To this day I hear people blame Phil for the shift in direction (probably because some of his solo stuff has a similar sound), but I don't see it that way. There were others writing the music. They've been accused of "selling out" as well, but what was there to really sell out to? They were already playing in huge mega-dome's and selling shitloads of albums. Granted the post-70's records had a more user friendly sound, no denying that. Perhaps they figured they couldn't take their prog sound any further? I know I'm blabbing. I get into epic convorsations about this band :cool:

You're right that Banks and Rutherford were involved in the songwriting process as well; more than anything else I think it's just the absence of Gabriel and Hackett's musical input and composition. However, Collins's input became all the greater in their absence. One of the criticisms leveled at the band (with which I agree) was that after Duke they began moving in a direction that sounded very similar to Collins's solo material.

You're also right in saying that the band had already been playing to sold out arena shows since before they sold out. However, this isn't how they sold out. Before the release of albums like Duke and Invisible Touch, the only way Genesis made a name for themselves was by touring. Lots of people bought their records, but it wasn't because they were getting tons of airplay or performing on late night talkshows. They made a name for themselves by going from city to city and playing for their fans.

Later Genesis did this as well (I don't mean to claim that they stopped touring altogether); but the music they made became extremely radio-friendly. So they no longer were known only to the people who were willing to go to their shows. In this way, they achieved mainstream superstardom.

EDIT: good call on Mountain razor.

You're right that Banks and Rutherford were involved in the songwriting process as well; more than anything else I think it's just the absence of Gabriel and Hackett's musical input and composition. However, Collins's input became all the greater in their absence. One of the criticisms leveled at the band (with which I agree) was that after Duke they began moving in a direction that sounded very similar to Collins's solo material.

You're also right in saying that the band had already been playing to sold out arena shows since before they sold out. However, this isn't how they sold out. Before the release of albums like Duke and Invisible Touch, the only way Genesis made a name for themselves was by touring. Lots of people bought their records, but it wasn't because they were getting tons of airplay or performing on late night talkshows. They made a name for themselves by going from city to city and playing for their fans.

Later Genesis did this as well (I don't mean to claim that they stopped touring altogether); but the music they made became extremely radio-friendly. So they no longer were known only to the people who were willing to go to their shows. In this way, they achieved mainstream superstardom.
Well put. It's refreshing to hear a thought out explination other than "FUCKING SELL OUTS BOOOO!!!". I think for the band, it was good and bad. Good for them becasue they obviously got a lot more fans, yet got a ton of shit at the same time for the change in style. It's funny though, I remember watching the documentary Genesis: A History, they wern't exactly the music media's favorite band, even when Peter was on vocals.

I don't even really like the term "sell out" (I used it for lack of a better term, but I don't mean it with the negativity that usually accompanies it). I mean, they changed their musical style and it happened to further them in their career; that's fine. I definitely don't hate them for doing it; I just wasn't a fan of the music they made in the 80s. It was a good move for them because it made them superstars; I'm sure they don't regret it, and they shouldn't. They're still amazing musicians.

Even Peter Gabriel got extremely mainstream in the 80s; he wrote songs like "In Your Eyes" and "Red Rain," which are very radio-friendly songs. I'll still say though that I think Gabriel's songwriting is miles beyond Collins's; he just incorporates so much more into his pieces, as far as experimental, electronic and world music elements go. There's much more to listen to. Collins just writes catchy pop songs.

I need to see that documentary; I've never even heard of it. You'd recommend it, I'm assuming?

EDIT: also, Jethro Tull just released the concert recording of Live At Madison Square Garden. I'm defintiely going to be picking this up. It's during their Heavy Horses tour and has a great setlist, from what I saw online.

Even Peter Gabriel got extremely mainstream in the 80s; he wrote songs like "In Your Eyes" and "Red Rain," which are very radio-friendly songs. I'll still say though that I think Gabriel's songwriting is miles beyond Collins's; he just incorporates so much more into his pieces, as far as experimental, electronic and world music elements go. There's much more to listen to. Collins just writes catchy pop songs.

I need to see that documentary; I've never even heard of it. You'd recommend it, I'm assuming?
That's one thing people don't seem to mention, the radio-friendly aspect of many of Gabriel's mid-80's music. They just point the finger at Collins's solo work ang go "AH-HA!" Truth be told, I haven't heard much of Gabriel's solo stuff, aside from the singles. I will admit right now though to like Collins's solo work. It's a lot smarter than people give it credit for, I really enjoy his use of atmosphere, drum machine sounds and synth sounds, espeically on Face Vaule, Hello, I Must Be Going and later on with Both Sides. Not too big on the happy dance type stuff though. A lot of his early work was quite dark.

Yes, that documentary is a good watch. 4 parts of it are on YouTube. Not sure how avaible it is to buy these days. I think it was a VHS relase in the early 90's, around the time We Can't Dance came out.

Wonder why the vids were disabled ? Too many bites ?

I recall Genesis being pretty big amounst much of the crowd back in the 70's and their concerts were raved about. I was just more into bands at that time that showed a heavier edge at least in some of thier songs.

Early Chicago had their progressive moments,as if a funky rock band with a horn section wasnt progressive enough. Only the more pop songs seem to be up on youtube, but this intro to Make me Smile is classic
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPwlB5LbGP4&feature=related[/ame]

I recall Genesis being pretty big amounst much of the crowd back in the 70's and their concerts were raved about.
Gabriel was quite a showman. He would perform in these really fucked up costumes, acting out the song so to speak. Best, and strangest one was the Slipperman get-up:

slipperman.jpg

Rush's "Signals" really doesn't get enough credit. Its an amazing album. Some may complain about the synths, but they give it a really great, fresh, spacey sound.

Fly by Night and Caress of Steel are very important albums in my history. Many prefer the later works or 2112 but those two albums were a new twist on things when they were fresh. Just as important to me as Aqualung and Thick as a Brick or Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here or Masque and Leftoverature or my Crack the Sky albums.

I just listened to Moving Pictures at work today. Great album. Grace Under Pressure is by far Rush's best work though.

Signals is pretty lame except for Subdivisions and New World Man

...and Leftoverature...

I didn't even think to mention Kansas! Great prog band, one of my favorites. Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are both classics in my book; I also own Song For America, which never really sank in with me although it has some great moments. Definitely a great band.

All of my prog roots lead to Caress Of Steel. Why that album was/is so underrated I will never get.

Anyway, GREAT THREAD! And yes, whoever said Camel's Mirage is spot on!

Here are some other great prog bands that no one's really talked about:

Amon Duul II

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvamU4v1rjk&feature=related[/ame]

Eloy

Glass Hammer

I didn't even think to mention Kansas! Great prog band, one of my favorites. Leftoverture and Point of Know Return are both classics in my book; I also own Song For America, which never really sank in with me although it has some great moments. Definitely a great band.

I havent heard Point of no Return in decades, someday I'll get around to buying the CD. Is Song for America one with Steve Morse ? I havent heard any of the ones with Morse.

Always glad to hear someone give Caress of Steel credit :headbang: I listened to that album over and over and still spin it quite a few times a year.

Is it just my computor that only shows blanks for all these vid clips ?

I had been thinking Masque was their second, maybe I have heard Song for America at one time then, who knows, there was alot of music around with five of us living in one big house... great years!

Queen had a pretty decent progressive song or two on their debut album as I recall but I wont bother hunting it down because Im having this problem with the vids on the site.

I was exposed to prog rock growing up...stuff like Genesis, King Crimson, Amon Duul II, some Floyd (though I always prefered the psychedelic rock stuff). Nursery Cryme by Genesis is one of the best albums in this genre IMO.

Which 70s album by Yes would you people recommend? I loved the song "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as a kid (actually bought "90125" the other day), and I'd like to get to know their 70s material, I've heard good things about "Close to the Edge" and "Fragile", but "Tales from Topographic Oceans" seems to get slated a bit, despite being the most familar one to me (by name only, though)

Which 70s album by Yes would you people recommend? I loved the song "Owner of a Lonely Heart" as a kid (actually bought "90125" the other day), and I'd like to get to know their 70s material, I've heard good things about "Close to the Edge" and "Fragile", but "Tales from Topographic Oceans" seems to get slated a bit, despite being the most familar one to me (by name only, though)

You can't go wrong with any of the following (they aren't in order):

The Yes Album
Close to the Edge
Tales of Topographic is probably my favorite album, after listening to it a hundred times, it's terribly underrated
Relayer is great
Fragile has 4 great songs, the rest are ok

90125, Big Generator, and even Going for the One and Tormato have some good songs. The great stuff is in the five I mentioned first though. Also, I bought Magnification, The Ladder, and Talk all at once a few years ago, and they all suck save one or two goods songs.