Classic rock music!

Most successfully horrible bands of the 00s that is. Am I rite?

No, I have heard some real shit, praised for unknown reason by a comparitively small handful that love to hate those who succeed on a broader scale for another unknown reason. Always disgruntle, always critizing but never capable of producing anything substancial to show the rest how its all supposed to be done.

Those that can do, those that cant critize

Did U2 rank higher?

just the three new studio albums by u2 (2000, 2004, 2009) are over 8 million in sales plus a greatest hits in 2002 that was another million plus seller and then sales of their back catalog i'd say they sold around 15-17 million albums from 2000-2010 but their concert revenue is huge.

i was just looking at tour sales and album sales. i do like u2 and the foo fighters but nickelback is horrid

I find the Foo Fighters a tad more tolerable than Nirvana, quite noisey, little hooks here and there that suffice, a decent band. For commerical rock I can find more than enough other songs to not allow them much room on my "playlist". Where I could grab a good 5-6 Nickleback songs that will hit the spot quite well, but I like to rock, I like well articulated riffs as opposed to slamming away on open rung chords with little accent or articulation, I like good hoppin grooves with raspy vocals that have a few cleaver twists to the lyrics. This is why, which also answers other questions "in play".

U2 is a whole nother sound and dates back well over two decades and is abit unto itself. I can respect that... it is after all commercial music when we talk about any of these bands. Not full CD's to put in the player, sit back and take a trip. U2 might be able to do this, Im not sure but the recent live broadcast concert I saw was a bit trippy. I watched one of Foo Fighters too that was better than I expected... still noisy cord slamming to me, I like it peeled out in CHUNKS... or be trippy.

Does anyone forget about the horrible nu-metal that was popular in the 90s?Aside from the grunge and pop-punk bands,they would be next on popular bands from the 90s.A band that was close to U2 in their prime was R.E.M.
They were huge in the 80s and 90s.

So what are we talking about in this thread, hm? Discussing modern music?

Well, as far as classic rock music goes, lived and breathed it for years. The new Neil Young remasters are glorious, I can't wait until they rerelease Tonight's The Night. I wouldn't touch Harvest though, the original CD of Harvest was mastered perfectly... such a heavy (as in humid) atmosphere.

I was never crazy about Neils voice but he could write some music. He had that rammy hard edge too, not ultra talented on improv but he had his glorious moments, best of which was loud, distorted and rammy. I've often though besides Hendrix he was the most aggressive with the saturated guitar distortion at that time. I never did check to see what he used for "boxes", it had to be some breed of "fuzz box". Some of them you could increase a amps output by what seemed like 50%. My Guild Foxy Lady was wickedly powerful... those two poor Jensons, couldnt hold your hands on the magnets after a half hour.

Rap yes, country i wouldn't say it was. I think older crowd listened to it more then younger. (older: 30 yrs +). But you are correct about rock not being the primary popular music. Just watch MTV to see that.

I think you would be surprised the number of young people that listen to Country now adays,I was. Makes sence really being how country rocks some now, has great instrumentalists, interesting story twisted lyrics, not like the real hookie stuff of earlier decades

Never said it was not an opinion or that it was a fact. Obviously it's an opinion.

There is a way to state a opinion as a opinion and another way that makes it sound like you are giving a fact... work on it

They should give the credit if they use word for word or note for note. Even if it's only a small segment of a song. As it being by the labels, managers and promoters, I think Page didn't deny what he did. He only tried to get away with it:

"In an interview he gave to Guitar World magazine in 1993, Page commented on the band's use of classic blues songs:

[A]s far as my end of it goes, I always tried to bring something fresh to anything that I used. I always made sure to come up with some variation. In fact, I think in most cases, you would never know what the original source could be. Maybe not in every case -- but in most cases. So most of the comparisons rest on the lyrics. And Robert was supposed to change the lyrics, and he didn't always do that -- which is what brought on most of the grief. They couldn't get us on the guitar parts of the music, but they nailed us on the lyrics. We did, however, take some liberties, I must say [laughs]. But never mind; we did try to do the right thing"

Right thing? Only when they were getting sued.

Now if only Ozzy would do "the right thing"

Nope, never denied it. I did say they were the 11th best selling group of the 90's.

Obviously if you were laughing at it then you were. Failed. :Smug:

Only drama queen is you, Grandpa. :)

You'll never know exactly what Im laughing at

:err:

As for Yes, can anyone recommend records that are more drums/percussion-driven? I only have Close to Edge. Not enough drums for my taste,which usually ensues in boredom.

As for Yes, can anyone recommend records that are more drums/percussion-driven? I only have Close to Edge. Not enough drums for my taste,which usually ensues in boredom.

Post this question on the "progressive" thread, which is not down the list too far yet. More people might catch it there and be able to answer your question, I never bought any Yes but XM's deep tracks play Yes regularly and I have heard some pretty damn good stuff. I cant speak for drum tracks, the current song Im hearing sounds alot like Yes and seems intricate to me.

I think it is more regional in terms of country because here in NYC/LI area I have not met one young country fan. Not one. I am sure they are out there but haven't met one.

If you can't tell my opinions from when i'm stating a fact then I guess you need to work on that and not me. Others can tell.

What does Ozzy's (really Sharon) lawsuit have to do with plagiarism like the ones against Zep in the past? As much as I think Ozzy, Ward and Butler deserve to get 1/4 each from the bands' past albums, I know the right thing is they shouldn't get that back because they gave up their rights to them long ago. But anyways has nothing to do with Zep or plagiarism.

Nor do i care what you are laughing at, whether me or yourself. failed anyways.

o_O:Smokin:

Again if the pleasure ratio is high enough there is no failure.

The other guys were paid off for their rights on that music, its a done deal... but that was not what I was talking about.

Ozzy never credited band members that wrote his songs for his lame ass and then when he was beat for it, like a little baby he went and retracked their parts. Speaks volumns for who he is. People can point the finger at Sharon to make excuses for Ozzy because of who he is supposed to be but thats exactly it... who the fuck is he... whos wearing the pants... it doesnt matter, its his name on the recordings, its his call. Hes equally if not totally responsible as she is. The metal community tried to paint it like Ozzy shrinks in the corner as Sharon whips him and does what she wants but I dont believe it, and if thats the case he needs to grow some balls. What ?... is the "prince of darkness" a fucking whimp ? The "princess of darkness" ?

Who would you people say is the most universally liked classic rock band?

Not aware of any "classic rock bands" do you have any particular style to help narrow it down ?

hard rock ? old school or early 70's ?
progressive rock ?
southern rock ?
mid west rock ?
west coast rock ?
rock ?
boogie blues rock ?
funky jazzy shit ?