Classic rock music!

sorry there is no one answer

only a fool would compare Zep to Elton to Skyynard to the Dead to Steeley Dan to Rush to ZZ... thus why there is no such thing as "classic rock"

but you dont catch on and prefer to ride the stereo type train

The Doors to the Beatles to Cream to The Momas and the Papas to the Stones to Sonny and Cher

sorry I just dont make any connections other than periods in time

But Classic Rock is a time period distinction.

As far as I'm aware, the highest selling rock bands of all-time are The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, and since those both fall under the "Classic Rock" banner, I guess that means they're the most popular classic rock bands. Universally speaking, The Beatles are popular with just about everybody and Led Zeppelin crosses a lot of boundaries from pop and blues to metal and modern rock.

Still the point is you cant compare the Beatles to the Stones
nor LZ to Elton, all "rock" bands, all immencely sucessful all diversly different. I hold people that pose to be "music heads" to a higher standard than lumping everything in one pot like domestic music listeners and those that buy into the medias ever changing catagorization of music from the past. Another example is the FUCKING "hair band"... "glam metal" as a sum of the 80's bullshit, it only shows lack of awareness and a complete fail at being any kind of music person. Fuck I can find lots of pictures of Jimi with HUGE hair and flamboyant cloths... does this mean he was just another hair/glam rocker. Does this mean he is the godfather of everything "glam" and "hair" because he did have a huge hand in setting the stage of musician dress codes... so now today he is but a hair/glam/classic rock.... person ?

Sorry people I have been around for ages and its all too idiotic for me... especially on a music forum. I'd expect this mentality if engageing in a conversation about music with a woman in the grocery store... only theres a better chance that they have not fallen victim to media classification and cult stereo typing. Reminds me of a brief conversation I once had with a great aunt when she started asking me about my guitar playing and what I played. I said rock, blues, jazz... she said "rock ? you mean that yeah, yeah, yeah stuff"... twas the end of that conversation.

Today when people ask me what kind of guitar I play, I simply reply "LOUD"... gets me out of the conversation real quick

:lol:
Seriously hair/glam metal, cock rock and related amalgams are such stupid and derogatory terms. I mean just think about it: HAIR metal. Why not beard rock, or mustache funk?:lol:

Still the point is you cant compare the Beatles to the Stones
nor LZ to Elton, all "rock" bands, all immencely sucessful all diversly different. I hold people that pose to be "music heads" to a higher standard than lumping everything in one pot like domestic music listeners and those that buy into the medias ever changing catagorization of music from the past. Another example is the FUCKING "hair band"... "glam metal" as a sum of the 80's bullshit, it only shows lack of awareness and a complete fail at being any kind of music person. Fuck I can find lots of pictures of Jimi with HUGE hair and flamboyant cloths... does this mean he was just another hair/glam rocker. Does this mean he is the godfather of everything "glam" and "hair" because he did have a huge hand in setting the stage of musician dress codes... so now today he is but a hair/glam/classic rock.... person ?

Sorry people I have been around for ages and its all too idiotic for me... especially on a music forum. I'd expect this mentality if engageing in a conversation about music with a woman in the grocery store... only theres a better chance that they have not fallen victim to media classification and cult stereo typing. Reminds me of a brief conversation I once had with a great aunt when she started asking me about my guitar playing and what I played. I said rock, blues, jazz... she said "rock ? you mean that yeah, yeah, yeah stuff"... twas the end of that conversation.

Today when people ask me what kind of guitar I play, I simply reply "LOUD"... gets me out of the conversation real quick

With all due respect, sir, I have a deep appreciation for your obvious plethora of musical insight. No joke. When I see you make a post I know that it's coming from a position of very serious music knowledge. However, I think you're inferring things from simple semantics that nobody intends to imply.

"Glam metal" and "hair metal" are just titles. If Nikki Sixx was bald, Motley Crue wouldn't be any less of a "hair band" because it has nothing to do with what the guy's hair literally happens to look like. "Hair metal" was a term decided upon based on one of the more common attributes among the group of bands being described, and as a sleight against the percieved vapidity of those bands (right or wrong). We could certainly call it any number of other things, but "Hair" and "Glam Metal" are the terms it's known by so it would defeat the purpose if we don't use those terms.

Genre names and group titles and all kinds of distinctions exist for a reason. They give us the ability to discuss large groups of bands. I mean, surely you're not against using these titles at all? Death metal, grindcore, blues, surely these titles are applicable under certain conditions? It goes without saying that every genre or group distinction is up for dispute and that everybody has their own idea of all of it. Is Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac blues or are they too rock, is Leadbelly blues or is he too country? Everybody with a tiny bit of perspective knows it's all relative and that none of it is set in stone. You can connect bands based on having long guitar solos, connect bands based on production values, connect them on anything. Hell, I've always steadfastly maintained that Led Zeppelin is closer to Nirvana than they are too Aerosmith based on how Zep and Nirvana put together their albums -- they seem to share views on how to approach doing genres, but that's a whole other issue.

The genres and distinctions that exist aren't necessarily the best ones that could exist. Is Dimmu closer to Velvet Cacoon than they are to At The Gates? How can Woody Guthrie and Hank Williams represent entirely different genres with the same basic instruments & song structure, while Mogwai, My Chemical Romance, and Chuck Berry are all considered "rock"? We could all throw our hats into the ring about this stuff, and more importantly we all know that in the end bands have to be judged by their own merits and not whatever categories they've been thrown into.

I have a tendency to go on and on and on, so I'll cut it short. Genres are just little ideas that people use. People here aren't judging bands just by there genre. I mean, you always see people say things like "I hate metalcore, but the following metalcore bands are good:..." Nobody is saying "Alice in Chains is grunge? I'll stop listening to them, then." Bands are judged by their autonomous attributes, genres are a secondary thought for categorization and explanation's sake.

Imagine you're going to see BB King tonight. Your friend is considering going, so he asks you what BB sounds like. You could say something personally subjective and tell him BB is the sound of sorrow, the music of a life hard-lived, or the sound of a pool hall in Chicago. But what if BB isn't going to affect your friend the same way, and what if he has no frame of reference for Chicago? You could try a clinical approach, say that it's relatively slow music in a verse-chorus format with a downtrodden atmosphere and a lot of guitar solos. The problem with that is, each one of those parts might invoke an image, and music is so subjective there's no telling what the friend will be thinking. He might be thinking of Steve Vai guitar solos or the "downtrodden atmosphere" of Black Metal or grunge. Maybe he's an extreme music freak and to him "relatively slow" means about as fast as Godspeed You! Black Emperor because they're about thrice as fast as Sunn O))).

So instead you say "He plays the blues." Now maybe your friend is thinking of Zeppelin, or maybe he's thinking of Leadbelly, or maybe he's thinking of one of those punk bands that claims to be blues-based. But all three of those give a closer approximation of what BB's gonna sound like because even though genres aren't perfect, they're relatively more uniform than what we could come up with on a personal subjective level. I'm not a huge fan of genres because I've never been able to dedicate myself to a genre like a lot of people can. But I see no harm in them because they're nothing more than little ideas that people use as a reference point. People don't take them that seriously, at least not in my experience. I mean sure, I've been in a million arguments defending how Led Zep doesn't count as metal. But even my ardent opponents know that genres are all subjective.

Those are the "terms" its "known" by today, not in the 80's. Glam was used in the 80's to describe those that wore girls makeup... not the music. I can find pictures of Journey in the mid 70's looking quite "big hair"... what about Robert Plants hair and both him and Jim Dandy wearing a girls halter top... OMG does this mean all along LZ and Black Oak Arkansas were glam and hair band music and I never knew it, decades in blissful ignorance. I can find photos of David Byron from the early/mid 70's with hair identical to that of some rockers in the 80's. What about Elton and his huge sun glasses and bigger than life platforms ? Glam ? Elton was "glam" too ? Iron Maiden mid eightys in spandex... another glam band ? Then where do all the electronica pop new wave with their fancy doos and strange outfits fall into the picture... just more "glam/hair bands" ? But wait all this stuff is "classic" now so we are really just talking about a huge pile of hair/glam/classic "rock" bands... OK pick your favorite.... huh ?

I understand your point STK but Im truely rebelious and wont board the train

I know I cant change it but if I make people stop and think for a minute and stop this kind of narrow stereo typing they might listen with their ears not a visual picture thats at odds with their ears.

Im thinking Grunge did the most to change the appearence of rock outfits. I can hear all those from that generation crying the blues now if in another 10 years everyone starts calling all the bands post 92 "greasy hair bands" "unwashed jeans bands" "forgot to shave this week bands"

What about Reggie... why not just call it "dredlock bands"... but wait... LZ and EC did reggie tunes and they surely had to fall under glam/hair/classic... but wait Bob Marley himself is classic... so its OK... just call it classic rock. Bob Dylan... Classic rock... ya OK

Rap - baggy assed side hat bands... pocket behind the knee bands... skivvies showing bands... pull your fucking pants up bands

Heavy Metal - black leather bands, long hair bands... wait... what kind of long hair... wait... this guy shaves his head

Black Metal - smear white shit all over your face bands

Thrash metal - maids mopping the floor bands

Is ZZ Top Texas boogie or just a "beard band"... yes yes lets talk about classic beard bands...

LZ and Nirvana in the same sentence ? We gonna throw down !

With all due respect, sir, I have a deep appreciation for your obvious plethora of musical insight. No joke. When I see you make a post I know that it's coming from a position of very serious music knowledge. However, I think you're inferring things from simple semantics that nobody intends to imply.
Seriously, don't bother. The guy is in a world of his own. He knows what the terms mean and whose considered in them by the majority or general public but he will contradict you til your constipated.:ill: Not worth it. Just let him think you agree with him and move on.

Again if the pleasure ratio is high enough there is no failure.
the pleasure ratio was only one person. You. so yes failed.

Ozzy never credited band members that wrote his songs for his lame ass and then when he was beat for it, like a little baby he went and retracked their parts.
Other bands have done this as well. Didn't VH/EVH do this to Michael Anthony? For the most part they do it out of spite. But Ozzy originally did give credit to Daisley and the drummer.
The metal community tried to paint it like Ozzy shrinks in the corner as Sharon whips him and does what she wants but I dont believe it, and if thats the case he needs to grow some balls. What ?... is the "prince of darkness" a fucking whimp ? The "princess of darkness" ?
Nothing new. How many men are wimps when it comes to their wives who are more dominant? Plenty. It is Sharon though.

Not aware of any "classic rock bands" do you have any particular style to help narrow it down ?

Well do all of the genres you just said, and give me a anwser, and tell me why razoredge.
Here we go again :lol: Seriously Tom, don't bother. You'll never get a straight answer from him. Only a over analyzation of everything. If you learned anything from me and him going back and forth on this or any other issue is it's not worth it. Just chat with the other lads. It's more enjoyable.

Seriously, don't bother. The guy is in a world of his own. He knows what the terms mean and whose considered in them by the majority or general public but he will contradict you til your constipated.:ill: Not worth it. Just let him think you agree with him and move on.

:rolleyes: Junior!... I can talk to people like STK all day long with no problems... why ? Because hes respectful and I know where hes comming from and he knows where Im comming from. You are about the only party I can think of around here who engages in a post talking about another member... thus part of why you earned the title junior and Im being politically correct... not the term that really comes to mind.

Was that matter you cant deal with my earnest RnR rebellion to not ride any wagon trains ?

"classic" is a bit complex. Grunge is moving in on classic now too, much 80's metal already has, all falling under the general catagory of "rock".

Im afraid anyone not grasping the complexities of this is the densonite not myself.

Classic cars - Been into them my whole life. When engageing in a conversation about classic cars the first thing thats established is what kind of classic cars your are talking about American land yachts, European sports cars, pre war, muscle cars, classics from a given manufacturer, race cars, ect.

Even breaking down music by the decade many have had to overlap decades and typically come up with a period smaller than 10 years, though maybe forced by the decade restriction to reach a full ten years.

Classic rock is - radio stations/VH1 that play the same most requested and/or hit songs over and over from various styles of older eras of music, ignoring all other material.

"MTV"

I was driving through the night
Into an endless tunnel of fog
When it dawned on me something was wrong
I was in a trance, hypnotized

Bored beyond belief, I was listening to the same old song
I know every lick, every word every nuance
I'm on first name terms with the crew
But I'd better get used to this poop du jour
Sure as hell they won't play anything new

Oh yes, I love you really
Classic Rock Radio
Oh, my dear it's time for bed
Time for you to go
Everyone is asleep

The pirates took to the water stole the charts
But sadly that didn't go down well with those upstairs
Who require loyalty, the establishment considered
That the uncontrolled appreciation of music

Was a danger to royalty, the mighty empire roared
As Cash 'n' Everitt on the high seas
Looked like they'd get blown out of the water
They did of course eventually come ashore
As meek as mice or to be more accurate as lambs to the slaughter

I stand to attention
Oh, Fanny, I love you dearly
Something else I should mention?
You sweet thing

Let's not talk about MTV
I don't even want to start
I want to take a look at Classic Rock Radio
We're talking about the state of the art

Mr Grover 'n' Mr Gillian
You musta made a million
The night that Frank Zappa caught on fire
Could you tell us all about it

Keep it short and use my version
Or everyone out there'll think I'm a liar
We can speak about bananas for one second

Just because I understand
You have to get them off your chest
But in the meantime while you're talking
Could you do some more of these here ID's
And then this station might maintain some interest

Oh yes, I love you dearly
But why do you exist?
Is there something that I missed?

OK, I surrender, upon further thought I decided Sonny and Cher surely had to have earned at least one godzillion, became house hold names, even came into nearly everyones house in the states once a week, became politicians, politically correct activists, aged sex symbols, extended musical careers, actors, downhill skiers

Beyond any doubt Sonny and Cher has got to be the #1 "classic rock band" of all time !!!!

:rolleyes: Junior!... I can talk to people like STK all day long with no problems... why ? Because hes respectful and I know where hes comming from and he knows where Im comming from. You are about the only party I can think of around here who engages in a post talking about another member... thus part of why you earned the title junior and Im being politically correct... not the term that really comes to mind.

Was that matter you cant deal with my earnest RnR rebellion to not ride any wagon trains ?
Him respectful? Nah. He just doesn't want to get stuck in a circle jerk with you. As for talking about another member, I am just giving Tom Brady sound advice that I'm sure others will agree with. He's asked the same classic rock question 2 or 3 times already and has gotten the answers he's wanted from the rest of us while you do a paralysis of analysis. In other words you take the fun out of this forum. All you have to do is humor him and tell him which "classic rock" band/artist falls into his question of most popular whether you like the term or not. Which we all know you don't and why. He accepts and respectful of what your opinion is on the topic but you are by no means respectful to him by not humoring him and giving him just one band if anything historically: The Beatles. See is that difficult?

As for the name calling, does that show respect to anyone regardless of opinion? Nope. So that is why i show you no respect and call you Grandpa because like old men you are set in your ways and won't try to listen to anyone.

RnR rebellion? nope. Just want to dictate the world in your vision.

Im afraid anyone not grasping the complexities of this is the densonite not myself.
Everyone grasp it and your explanations,but what you don't get is we all accept what classic rock means because it is what it is and nothing you say will change that.

To classify every single band/artist there ever is in so many different categories is kind of stupid instead of coming out with general titles. Like in metal we have Blackened Death and Death Blackened or whatever is the term they use.

Anyways it is what it is and for once be respectful of the OP of a thread because Tom Brady has been respectful and patient with you and he deserves your respect. Simply name a band that the general public considers a "classic rock" band. Simple as that. I said Beatles. Others have said Beatles or LZ. etc. If you don't do that then please do not talk to us about respect.

Us ? Always looking over yer back arent you. I was talking to YOU

TB and my business is ours... shove off jr. I've talked specific genres and styles with him many times, this one has no parameters.

Beethovan ? I know he did some rockin and is classic... album sales were weak though

Only song i know by them is I got You babe.... have they ever recorded another one? lol

actually I read or saw something about them and Sonny was a fairly successful song writer at some early point there. I forget the details. Cant deny their HUGE success though, talk about marketing gross

Us ? Always looking over yer back arent you. I was talking to YOU
Yah, me looking over my back alright. To make sure you don't have your hands on my shoulders :ill: Yes, us as in the lads in this forum.

TB and my business is ours... shove off jr. I've talked specific genres and styles with him many times, this one has no parameters.
Actually when you post it in a public forum it makes it everyone's biz if they so choose it to be like me :) Now if you chatted in PM then that would be a different story. That would be your business. anyways much like STK, TB doesn't want to get into a circle jerk with you and humors you. :)

Beethovan ? I know he did some rockin and is classic... album sales were weak though
Someone mention beethovan in this thread? I missed it.