Classic rock music!

Badbird

Never banned
Oct 14, 2009
Ayn Rand is dead hahahahaha
Seeing that most people on here like classic rock I will make a thread about it.

Talk about classic rock whatever if it popular or not.There can be recommends on this thread too.I know its not a real genre but I like it enough to have a thread.This thread can be anything from folk rock to blues rock to hard rock to prog rock as long as its from the 60s to the 70s.

heard a rumor on the rolling stones forum that the eagles and fleetwood mac will tour together next year

tom petty is the shit. check out his new live anthology. 4 cd's for $20. hits, deep album cuts and cover tunes and it spans 1980-2007. the songs are not in chronoligical (sp?) but you can't tell a drop off in sound quality

rock - Petty, Seger, Springsteen, Mellencamp, Eagles

hardrock - Zep, Heep, Purple, Rush, Queen, Sabbath, Rooster, James Gang, Mountain, Tull, Grand Funk, Cream, Hendrix, ZZ, Humble Pie

southern rock - Hatchet, Skynard, Outlaws, Tucker

get the picture? not a single use of the term "classic" to generalize a genre. Obviously large diversion in the hard rock bands with many crossing over to more progressive leanings because being a hardrock musician was progressive in itself, they also played their share of their versions of the blues and brought in various folk, country flavors, even funk as well, once again because they were hardrockers they were more open to experiment and play with things than worry about radio hits or pleasing narrow minded fans.

Then even bands like in my "rock" listing showed country flavor relative to their topographical origions.

Or the Chicago sounding rock of bands like Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears mixing Chicago blues and jazz influences with rock

Or midwest country flavored rockers like Head East and other names that excape me now

it really pisses me off that in the times of kids that just cant come up with enough sub genres to classify their music in want to sum up the late 60's and 70's as "classic rock". When the truth is most of these bands were a genre in themselves, sounding nothing alike, being truely creative with no one else to follow,clone,or copy, the real ground breakers being tossed into one big bucket of shit as if they had everything in common. Todays bands in given genres are stale by comparision to the early bands that simply had their hands on their asses and went for it, whatever came out they made something of it, even if it was totally different than the last song they worked on.

Allman Brothers Band. "Classic" is just another rock journalist term. ABB created a style of music that many bands followed, including the forbearers of "Southern" rock. But, they incorporated blues and jazz into a rock standard that was very original at that time. Duane Allman was a guitarist who was ahead of his time.

So true, Im amazed how much music I hear that has a Allman Brothers vibe somewhere in it.

Great feeling jams, some progressive syncopated passages, great outdoors summer time music

Im not as into Duane Allman as some are though, he had his thing but there was plenty of great guitarists at that time also doing their own thing.

Always liked Gregs voice

Allman Brothers Band. "Classic" is just another rock journalist term. ABB created a style of music that many bands followed, including the forbearers of "Southern" rock. But, they incorporated blues and jazz into a rock standard that was very original at that time. Duane Allman was a guitarist who was ahead of his time.

The Allmans are a great sountern rock band.I think they are underrated to say Lynyrd Skynyrd who I think is overrated.

"under-rated" Allman brothers has a huge following decades old... no "rateing" there

"over-rated" Skynyrd has a huge following decades old no "rateing" there

if you go on the ABB forum they'll argue until the cows come home that the ABB aren't southern rock

if you go on the ABB forum they'll argue until the cows come home that the ABB aren't southern rock

what do they consider them to be ? Just the Allman Brothers I assume.

I dont think the term southern rock was around at the earlier days of the ABB, that came with the huge popularity/success of previoulsy mentioned southernrock bands. Still I have to say ABB and other earlier bands like The Band were at the rootes of that sound. Even the Eagles maybe, though none really sound just like the A typical southernrock sound they were still fusing country, blues and rock into a similiar sound. Yet different from older rockabilly but that influence could even be heard in some southern rock songs. Country and blues has always been in rock and rock got into them as well, they are not that far distant relatives anyhow.

I just realized I made a grave oversite on the subject of early southern rock influence.... CCR For some reason I always forget to think about these guys and my very first album was a CCR album too

what do they consider them to be ? Just the Allman Brothers I assume.

I dont think the term southern rock was around at the earlier days of the ABB, that came with the huge popularity/success of previoulsy mentioned southernrock bands. Still I have to say ABB and other earlier bands like The Band were at the rootes of that sound. Even the Eagles maybe, though none really sound just like the A typical southernrock sound they were still fusing country, blues and rock into a similiar sound. Yet different from older rockabilly but that influence could even be heard in some southern rock songs. Country and blues has always been in rock and rock got into them as well, they are not that far distant relatives anyhow.

they'll tell you a blues based jam band with jazz and country influences. most of the snobs on there say southern rock is a term rednecks use for dumb music like lynyrd skynyrd. some people even say the correct term for soutern rock is redneck rock

they'll tell you a blues based jam band with jazz and country influences. most of the snobs on there say southern rock is a term rednecks use for dumb music like lynyrd skynyrd. some people even say the correct term for soutern rock is redneck rock

Well the Allmans are more of a jam band than sountern rock if you asked me.I think the term redneck rock worked best for bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and not the Allmans Brothers.