Classic rock music!

no I honestly think its a retards term, sheep following what the media throws out there, and the media is nothing but self appointed superheros which frankly have always appeared to be retarded to me. If something was called whatever in its day I despise it being re-termed later by punks (such as the OP) that were not even around. None the less what is called classic by "classic rock radio" are old popular songs that have become "classic" in that sense, I guess in the same way old popular jazz styled songs became known as "standards" but at least people understand that it only applies to specific songs not the entire music scene of that era.

Your example of "metal" doesnt really fly either because various rock also has it generalization term... is goes like this... "rock". If a discussion needs to be had on any various forms of "rock" one needs to be specific and know what the fuck they are talking about so others can too.

I like Deep Purples song classic rock radio which sounds to me like Ian Gillan putting them down for the narrow mindedness thats involved. The bands that had those popular songs back in those days also had a entire album of other songs attached to them, many of which at that time sounded much different from each other as opposed to today where no one steps very far out of their box.

See the problem is not that the term "classic rock" is used the real problem is that the world must conform to Razor's world. And frankly that is not how the world works. Like I said "classic rock" is a broad based general term describing rock music of the 60's and 70's with some 80's. Hit songs? yes. But also some songs that weren't hits are played also on classic rock stations.

But over time the term came to be generally accepted by the general public itself to describe these bands as well as subgenres like acid rock, punk rock, blues rock etc. Much like I said metal does. And not for nothing the media most times then none are the ones who create the genre's names. It is the general public that accepts it and identifies with it. And I find it ironic that you are so vocal about it considering that perhaps the genre names you do accept were probably created by the media (radio, magazines, etc.) lol

In conclusion this thread is about the generally accepted bands that fall under the term "classic rock" and I would venture to bet that 99% of the forum members here know which bands and era's is implied. Only you the 1% doesn't or choose to feign ignorance because as I stated earlier you like to stir the pot in threads alot. If we say a cue ball in a pool table is white your the one person that will have to make an issue about it and say: we'll what hue or tone of white are we talking about? lol In the end it doesn't fuckin matter what you think about it so long as the majority of us know what the OP and everyone else means when it's said "classic rock".

We should be discussing the bands and their music that was created not a discussion on what the definition of something is when the rest of us know what is meant.

Anyways as for the biggest band of the 70's is, to me it's a toss up between Zep and Floyd due to consistency of great albums and attendance or chart records made by these two bands during that era. I can't really think of other bands that were larger then them. Stones perhaps?

What ever the fuck that was all about I dont know but there is no genre classic rock, if someone wants to talk about various forms of music from the 70's they will have to be more specific

Specific? for you? I don't think so. Your not the one all be all lol the rest of us know what is meant by "classic rock". Whether it's from the 60's or 70's. or even 80's. If you want to be more specific then I guess you can have a conversation with yourself in the corner :lol: while the rest of us will chat about bands/albums/songs.

So does anyone else agree that Floyd and Zep were the two biggest bands' of the 70's or does someone else have their own candidate?

Then by your standards the Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and so many other threads were JUST "classic rock" threads, thats deep... LOL... should have just combined them all

We just got done talking about who was "big" in the 70's, there were many and it was according to personal tastes and the style music they played... oh wait... they all played "classic rock"........ LOL

I can see the connection between The Cars and Led Zeppelin... I really can

Specific? for you? I don't think so. Your not the one all be all lol the rest of us know what is meant by "classic rock". Whether it's from the 60's or 70's. or even 80's. If you want to be more specific then I guess you can have a conversation with yourself in the corner :lol: while the rest of us will chat about bands/albums/songs.

So does anyone else agree that Floyd and Zep were the two biggest bands' of the 70's or does someone else have their own candidate?[/QUOTE]

thats hard to say. led zeppelin didn't tour as much as you think they did. you are also looking at album sales 30 years after the fact. those 2 bands sold a boat load of albums in the 70's compared to most bands but a large portion of those bands sales came after the 70's.

elton john was popular through most of the 70's and toured a lot. the rolling stones were very popular in the 70's. the eagles might have been the most popular band of the 70's. i believe they toured a lot and sold a lot of albums. i'm about 99% sure that alice cooper was the highest grossing tour in 1973 and CSNY was the highest grossing tour of 1974

Then by your standards the Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and so many other threads were JUST "classic rock" threads, thats deep... LOL... should have just combined them all
Yup they were/are and yup probably should combine them except for one thing. Some people or perhaps the OP's of those threads like one band but not both. I myself never participate in the JT thread because i don't like them but do participate in the PF thread... but this thread we are on is for combining all those bands... so ya.. deep...

We just got done talking about who was "big" in the 70's, there were many and it was according to personal tastes and the style music they played... oh wait... they all played "classic rock"........ LOL
Yup they did.. glad you agree... :wave:

I can see the connection between The Cars and Led Zeppelin... I really can
I said a broad based term and not a specific term... now go back to your corner and suck on your thumb and drool on your bib... ;)

thats hard to say. led zeppelin didn't tour as much as you think they did. you are also looking at album sales 30 years after the fact. those 2 bands sold a boat load of albums in the 70's compared to most bands but a large portion of those bands sales came after the 70's.

elton john was popular through most of the 70's and toured a lot. the rolling stones were very popular in the 70's. the eagles might have been the most popular band of the 70's. i believe they toured a lot and sold a lot of albums. i'm about 99% sure that alice cooper was the highest grossing tour in 1973 and CSNY was the highest grossing tour of 1974
Yup hard to say but perhaps it can be looked up in old Rolling Stone Mag articles or some other source from that era if not Wiki and other modern sources... But i do have Bio's of Zep and Floyd and I do think I remember them mentioning what they did in album sales and tours for that time... Perhaps I'll go dig up my books... if not perhaps you or someone else has a good online source that is pretty accurate...

I just prefer not to spred and join in the ignorance of classic rock = sum of the 70's like the rest of you not yet old enough to be off the titty.

As for huge bands of the 70's no specific genre

There were many, in different period of the 70's and many different genres

Matt brings a good one... CSN CSNY
I know GFunk was really big early 70's through 74 anyhow
Elton - gigantic
Billy Joel - I went to a packed house around 76 and he played nearly everything from 4 albums
I saw Jeff Beck pack the same house in 76 with the Wired tour with Jan Hammer... now there was some "classic rock" for yas guppies
Kansas toured their ass's off and was HUGE by 78
Rush was HUGE by 77/78
BOC was HUGE by 77/78 I saw two show with both bands to full seating in these two years.
The Southernrock boys were very HUGE
Chicago was very HUGE
Zep got wider spred audience after Houses of the Holy
Tull was big but slowed their touring somewhere in there
Punk had a huge scene in inner city areas
later 70's saw bands like VanHalen, The Cars, Dire Straits, Boston get a foot hold
Then there was the Disco scene which was really HUGE and drew those that were less enthoused by the hardrockers
Bowie was HUGE
Kiss was HUGE
Nugent was HUGE

theres many I probably forget, Foreighner, Journey, Uriah Heep had their day, Queen, Foghat

People used to flock to concerts back then, things have changed alot, now most bands but the absolute biggest play to small club type venues

I just prefer not to spred and join in the ignorance of classic rock = sum of the 70's like the rest of you not yet old enough to be off the titty.
your probably 10 years or less older then me...

As for huge bands of the 70's no specific genre
We'll we mean specifically THE big band of the 70's overall.

People used to flock to concerts back then, things have changed alot, now most bands but the absolute biggest play to small club type venues
I would blame it on the ticket companies and such.... with overpriced tickets etc..

"we"... whos the "we" ?

Im more than 10 years, I lived in and witnessed that period of music, thus why I hate the ignorance of throwing it all down as "classic rock" and try to get people to see it as much more and not buy into the idea created by "classic rock radio" which does only play the same ol same ol popular FM standbys. All the "classic rock radio" stations I have heard sound like they still have the same exact libarary they were playing in the 70's and 80's and never og outside the box. There is alot more to the music of the 70's than that stuff. At the best its good Friday after work party music yet some people still listen to it everyday and its going on 30 friggin years now. I try to get frinds to listen to other songs by the same band from the same albums and they just dont want to hear it.

But then Im narrow minded and all....... bit of a oxymoron there.

Ticket prices are what they are because concerts are huge production now, touring expences are astronomical and its how bands make their money and the rest of the biz.

Open container laws and DWI laws are what destroyed the going out for entertainment industry, not just concerts. Concerts use to be like one HUGE party. F'in bleeding heart liberal soccor mom feminazi repressed lesbians... thats whats wrong with the world... LOL

I'll tell you though I was suprised to see various parents out to see Metallica with their kids last month. Things were NOT like that when I was young. Most of the time our parents didnt know we were going to a "long haired, drug induced, noisy music concert"... LOL In all fairness Dad did take us to see JCS and Chicago sometime between 70-72 or whenever it was. But Chicago was acceptable by that generation because they had horns. Rush would have been another story....

More Huge bands I thought of yesterday because I forget to think outside of my hardrock libarary.

Chicago which I mentioned way earlier
Logins and Messina
America
Hall and Oats
Steeley Dan but I dont think they toured much

now others I have already forgot again

ZZ Top

The Stones were not called the greatest rock band for no apparent reason, they were still HUGE in the 70's and could only play huge arenas

Zep acheived a rare stature of super groups but in reality they had a short lived career and were dying long before Bonzo did. Music changed alot and they had lost their touch. The last two albums were not much and the very last was horrible IMO. But they will remain legendary for their better years and works and contribution to changing sound of the music. It was a matter of chance that they hit it when they did, later when they were trying to keep up with a change that was not thiers they were suffering as were many of the earlier 70's hardrock bands. Rush I feel has achieved that same stature and had a very long career, closer to that of the Stones now if not actually longer.

Floyd, Tull both legendary for the open minded. Dream Theater is accomplishing the same thing but its popular to hate them... so much for being open minded. Metallica made it, not bad for a Thrash band. Maiden made it.

But Im back on the heavier music again

Elton made it
Joel made it
Chicago made it
Bowie made it
ZZ made it
AC/DC made it
VanHalen made it, not sure about the last 15 faultering years but.... legendary non the less
MJ made it

so who else ?

would be nice if you just told us your opinion of what rock band of that era was "the" biggest.. and not tell us things we already knew... also tell us which band and not your favorite band... as for age... if you are older then 10 years then me then you are in your 50's?

Thats right Junior

The point is "biggest" according to who ? A hard rocker ? A prog head ? A dicso feind ? Someone into R&B ? Someone into commercial rock ? Someone into Southern Rock ? Someone into Folk ? How about Country ? Punk ? New Wave ?

Its all a moatter of perspective... junior

Thats right Junior

The point is "biggest" according to who ? A hard rocker ? A prog head ? A dicso feind ? Someone into R&B ? Someone into commercial rock ? Someone into Southern Rock ? Someone into Folk ? How about Country ? Punk ? New Wave ?

Its all a moatter of perspective... junior
Rock in general, Granpa. No specific genre (afterall this is a rock thread and nothing else if you can read)... which band or artist of the decade you considered biggest and why?: albums sales, tour earnings, # of albums on the charts etc.

Elderly people, ::: sigh ::: once they lose their minds to dementia you have to explain things to them more then once... :lol:

Btw, I could of swore you said somewhere else that you were only in your 40's? :erk:

I have made many lists regarding this in the topic since before you popped your little head out the womb, either you get it or you dont. If your that concerned about it perhaps you could do a year of research on the subject, gather all the statistics, weigh and average all the factors, make a valid presentation, and then the whole world will know the worthless piece of trivia about which band was "the biggest" of the dozens on a average from the 70's which varied significantly compared to decades that would follow.

Good project for you

You should stop saying 'Junior' - Mathias

I have made many lists regarding this in the topic since before you popped your little head out the womb, either you get it or you dont. If your that concerned about it perhaps you could do a year of research on the subject, gather all the statistics, weigh and average all the factors, make a valid presentation, and then the whole world will know the worthless piece of trivia about which band was "the biggest" of the dozens on a average from the 70's which varied significantly compared to decades that would follow.
Is it so difficult to say "in your opinion" whom the biggest band of the 70's was? It's easy to say the Beatles were for the 60's regardless if you like them or not... Simple question and simple answer... and idividual opinion of whom it is.. like I said to me it was Floyd/Zep... no need to do a scientific or mathematical research on it...

You should stop saying 'Junior' - Mathias
Take yours or Mathias advice.. :Smug:

My opinion would be bogus and bias not based on the reality of the many different popular and successful bands and music that spanned the 70's.

*** Thanks for tip Mathias, now you could start paying attention to some of the other stuff going on here recently... OK ? Not that I have a problem with it, its a amusing walk in the park it but its been rather twilight zone, intentionally, obviously and personally directed... yathink ?

My opinion would be bogus and bias not based on the reality of the many different popular and successful bands and music that spanned the 70's.
I thought your opinion is never bogus/biased compared to the rest of the board like on the Axl issue? I can't quite fathom that everyone else can name at least one band/artist as their pick but you can't. Is it because I'm the one asking or your not the one asking the question?.. seriously..

*** Thanks for tip Mathias, now you could start paying attention to some of the other stuff going on here recently... OK ? Not that I have a problem with it, its a amusing walk in the park it but its been rather twilight zone, intentionally, obviously and personally directed... yathink ?
nahhh to all of the above. And I don't live on this website. If you haven't noticed i have been here longer then you and others but have fewer posts. I do other things in life other then this website. I only post or reply if something interests me.