THE PROGRESSIVE ROCK THREAD

Easy Grant. Those are my boys you're talking about.

:lol: I wasn't saying they suck. They're all at least as good as Gentle Giant (except maybe ELP). I just think GG is incredibly underappreciated when it comes to the cream of '70s prog bands.

I just look up their youtube vids and I liked it alot.

Yeah, check out any of their first four albums sometime (especially the first). They're just mindblowing.

Yeah they're pretty good.

Anyway, here are some great Gentle Giant songs which you should all hear if you value your lives and/or sexual orientation:

Proclamation:

Raconteur Troubadour:

Knots (live):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu6fmx-xn9A&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Always wondered what those guys sounded like. Very good musicians, some of that is quite like fusion, I liked Knots most. Still the bands that are dominant with keyboard arent enough for me and I prefer a bit more rockin

Heres Animal Skins from Animal Notes this acoustic work as well as the religious and political lyrics, orchestration a bonus

Gonna have to say my favorite non-Floyd prog albums are Moonmadness and Lightbulb Sun
Both superb albums. As far as PT goes, I'd have to say Stupid Dream. Also Mirage by Camel is another excellent album. This may sound generic, but TAAB by Jethro Tull is one of the best albums ever created along with ITCOTCK-King Crimson. Every home should have both of these masterpieces. The "40th anniversary" re-master of ITCOTCK is astounding. The clarity will floor you. Just makes this album all the better. 9 out of 10 Dentists agreed.:worship:

I've had my eye on Tull and Genesis for so damn long but haven't listened to them, seriously wtf. Best albums to start with? I'm not really a prog-head but its still pretty unforgivable, I just never get to some things on the "list."

ITCOTCK is of course genius, as is Red. I had a few more of their albums but only from my brother's library so I lost them in the recent iPod wipe. In my mass downloading (new music for the first time in 2 months :) ) this weekend I plan to get those back.

I've had my eye on Tull and Genesis for so damn long but haven't listened to them, seriously wtf. Best albums to start with? I'm not really a prog-head but its still pretty unforgivable, I just never get to some things on the "list."

Holy fuck dude, seriously?

Well I guess I'm not much to talk since I've only heard one Genesis album and listen to Tull pretty sparingly, but they're definitely mandatory listening for anyone with even a slight interest in prog. Try Selling England by the Pound from Genesis and Aqualung from Tull.

That's the album I would suggest starting with for Genesis as well.

As far as Tull goes, Aqualung is great but you also might want to try Minstrel in the Gallery, Thick As a Brick and Songs From the Wood.

I realize you asked for an album to start with, but they change their sound pretty drastically. Aqualung is more progressive rock whereas Songs From the Wood is more progressive folk. Minstrel in the Gallery is a nice transition between the two.

And Thick As a Brick is just epic awesomeness.

Holy fuck dude, seriously?

Well I guess I'm not much to talk since I've only heard one Genesis album and listen to Tull pretty sparingly, but they're definitely mandatory listening for anyone with even a slight interest in prog. Try Selling England by the Pound from Genesis and Aqualung from Tull.

Well, besides a short period where I was looking for Pink Floyd-esque bands and found Hawkwind and Eloy or when I started listening to Camel/Comus due to a past Mikael Akerfeldt fanboy-ism, I really don't care enough about prog to explore the genre much, but with Tull and Genesis they've just been bands that I had my eye on forever but never bothered to download and was never really in the right mood when I happened to be listening to last.fm radio or something.

Besides enjoying a lot of extreme prog metal (prog like Enslaved, not like Dream Theater), the only prog I really care about is:

Pink Floyd
Camel
Porcupine Tree
King Crimson

So yea, I'm not much of a fan if that justifies my blatant ignorance to obvious classics.

Focus, rarely mentioned, I dont like everything they did but

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQYdxwTqABk&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx-JzRzsCss&feature=related[/ame]

this seems Tull inspired
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK2xQBsOvrY&feature=related[/ame]

^ Sounds good, I will have to check them out more.

Morte Macabre is a great band, covering old movie soundtracks in a prog fashion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVGz78dsmVs&feature=related[/ame]

Genesis fanatic here. Selling England By the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are two of my favortie albums ever. The Phil Collins era gets a lot of heat, but I really love some of the stuff he sang on (let the flames commence :)). A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are exellent, and I'm a big Duke fan as well.

Focus, rarely mentioned, I dont like everything they did but

No "Hocus Pocus?"

Genesis fanatic here. Selling England By the Pound and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are two of my favortie albums ever. The Phil Collins era gets a lot of heat, but I really love some of the stuff he sang on (let the flames commence :)). A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering are exellent, and I'm a big Duke fan as well.

A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering aren't bad records; I just am much fonder of Gabriel's songwriting. The reason that A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering sound somewhat similar to the Gabriel era is that Steve Hackett was still in the band, and his style had a significant impact on how the band sounded. I don't really care for Duke much at all.

At the airport and couldn't wait to get new shit for the first time in like 3 months, so got some more King Crimson, Genesis' "Selling England by the Pound", and Tull's "Aqualung" and "Songs from the Wood", downloading right now in addition to some of the metal I wanted.

Yeah, definitely gravitating towards the 80s sensation with those records.
I'm curious to get your thoughts on the majority of the Collins era. To this day I hear people blame Phil for the shift in direction (probably because some of his solo stuff has a similar sound), but I don't see it that way. There were others writing the music. They've been accused of "selling out" as well, but what was there to really sell out to? They were already playing in huge mega-dome's and selling shitloads of albums. Granted the post-70's records had a more user friendly sound, no denying that. Perhaps they figured they couldn't take their prog sound any further? I know I'm blabbing. I get into epic convorsations about this band :cool: