Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

To be clear, this type of slip editing (sliding the audio around within the region) can't be done in PT, right? If so...gay

To be clear, this type of slip editing (sliding the audio around within the region) can't be done in PT, right? If so...gay

Can not. If it could, I would be ecstatic. I wish I could code my own DAW. There is at least one major deal breaker for me in every single DAW. PT so far is the closest to being perfect... I've said it a hundred times though, as soon as Reaper has track based edit groups and tape-style editing like in PT, I am going right back.

hellz yeah.
i just tried this shit on some demo tracks and it's fucking awesome as fuck. unfortunately i have already recorded everything else to the non edited drumz. fuck. i usually don't mess with drum chopping shit, but now that it's this easy, i'm def sticking with it. luv u bro!

I did a quick (i literally mean quick, too) run through of a song I'm working on for a local band. Seriously, best editing method BY far. Blows the semi/fully automatic method out of the water! I will post links tomorrow, as I am far too tired to post any right now. The quantization only took me an hour for a 3 minute song. The other method would have taken me a good 3 or 4 hours. Doing "simple" hardcore music with the other method would take me FOREVER, so I am VERY thankful of this breakthrough in Reaper Editing. Much respect Sir Adam. :)

Can not. If it could, I would be ecstatic. I wish I could code my own DAW. There is at least one major deal breaker for me in every single DAW. PT so far is the closest to being perfect... I've said it a hundred times though, as soon as Reaper has track based edit groups and tape-style editing like in PT, I am going right back.

Perhaps Cubase might be an alternative Adam?
Funny how Sturgis goes from Cubase to PT and here you are going from PT to ? Lol!

Adam - you should post this on the Reaper forums. I remember you opening a thread over there with some questions and it sounds like you're straight now - this seems like a very good method! Thanks for putting this together.

Adam - you should post this on the Reaper forums. I remember you opening a thread over there with some questions and it sounds like you're straight now - this seems like a very good method! Thanks for putting this together.

Eh maybe, the people over there are not very responsive to things like this. 95% of them think the Pipeline Audio tutorial makes Reaper as good as Beat Detective even though it kills half of your transients. Most people over there have no complaints about anything so this tutorial isn't offering them much since apparently they can already do everything better in Reaper than in any other DAW :p

Eh maybe, the people over there are not very responsive to things like this. 95% of them think the Pipeline Audio tutorial makes Reaper as good as Beat Detective even though it kills half of your transients. Most people over there have no complaints about anything so this tutorial isn't offering them much since apparently they can already do everything better in Reaper than in any other DAW :p

Now we just need to find a way around the other "quirks" with Reaper and the world will implode! lol!

Perhaps Cubase might be an alternative Adam?
Funny how Sturgis goes from Cubase to PT and here you are going from PT to ? Lol!

I was looking into it, Cubase does have some cool features but it seems like the basic functionality leaves a lot to be desired compared to Pro Tools. It actually has most of the same problems I have with Reaper, PLUS more...

-No trackbased edit groups
-Everything is region based (copy, paste, etc.) so I can't highlight part of a track and copy it, I would have to split the region into parts so that the part I want to copy is it's own region, and then copy and paste the region itself

That right there is enough to slow me down too much to justify the switch :/ I am just going to stick it out with Pro Tools and use Reaper for drum editing for now. Once Reaper steps it up a bit on the basic editing functionality, I can almost guarantee I'll be switching back.

The three big feature requests I'm waiting for are the addition of a proper edit cursor like PT, for making time selections on only certain tracks (although I could manage without this if they implement the other features properly), track based edit groups (even something as simple as adding an EDIT checkbox to a folder track, so that all the tracks within that folder have all edits applied to them at once. I can ALMOST duplicate this perfectly with just macros but not quite because of a few tricky scenarios and behaviours with certain actions), and most importantly TAPE STYLE EDITING. Right now in Reaper, even if you try your best to get the preferences right, it's impossible to drag an item from the left and have it overlap the start of an item on the right. You can do it from right to left or when you are dropping something smaller inside something bigger, but if you have a small region and are dropping a large one over top to cover it, the smaller one takes priority and sticks through, and dragging something from left to right causes the item on the right that you are trying to cover up to take priority over the item you are touching. It is ABSURD. So you have to manually cut and trim everything.

Please everyone in this thread vote for these three things on the Reaper forum!
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1256

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=843

I was looking into it, Cubase does have some cool features but it seems like the basic functionality leaves a lot to be desired compared to Pro Tools. It actually has most of the same problems I have with Reaper, PLUS more...

-No trackbased edit groups
-Everything is region based (copy, paste, etc.) so I can't highlight part of a track and copy it, I would have to split the region into parts so that the part I want to copy is it's own region, and then copy and paste the region itself

That right there is enough to slow me down too much to justify the switch :/ I am just going to stick it out with Pro Tools and use Reaper for drum editing for now. Once Reaper steps it up a bit on the basic editing functionality, I can almost guarantee I'll be switching back.

The three big feature requests I'm waiting for are the addition of a proper edit cursor like PT, for making time selections on only certain tracks (although I could manage without this if they implement the other features properly), track based edit groups (even something as simple as adding an EDIT checkbox to a folder track, so that all the tracks within that folder have all edits applied to them at once. I can ALMOST duplicate this perfectly with just macros but not quite because of a few tricky scenarios and behaviours with certain actions), and most importantly TAPE STYLE EDITING. Right now in Reaper, even if you try your best to get the preferences right, it's impossible to drag an item from the left and have it overlap the start of an item on the right. You can do it from right to left or when you are dropping something smaller inside something bigger, but if you have a small region and are dropping a large one over top to cover it, the smaller one takes priority and sticks through, and dragging something from left to right causes the item on the right that you are trying to cover up to take priority over the item you are touching. It is ABSURD. So you have to manually cut and trim everything.

Please everyone in this thread vote for these three things on the Reaper forum!
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=122

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1256

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=843

I was wondering why I couldn't vote once I'd logged in, then I realised that I'd already voted "YES!" lol!
I find mixing in Reaper more comfortable than in PT but that's simply due to Reaper's routing features and ADC/PDC. Mellowmuse ATA eases the pain, but I still find it awkward and cannot justify going to HD.
Yeah, I hear you when it comes to editing in Reaper, I just hate having to remember so many keyboard shortcuts, but my main issues with workflow in Reaper were always with drum editing, so this tutorial may make me re-evaluate my DAW!
Once again, thanks for the Reaper slip tutorial Adam!

Mixing in Reaper is fantastic particularly because of the whole Folder Tracks thing, I have folders for everything and it makes adjusting groups of tracks so easy. One thing I miss in Reaper now after getting used to Pro Tools is quick and easy I/O access. Like, I wish Reaper had busses like in PT so I could easily send groups of tracks via the Mixer window using a simple drop down like in PT. I realize Reaper sort of has busses, in the way that every track can be anything so I can create a Reverb track and just set up a bunch of sends. It's not the same as having an actual bus that I can set as the input for several different Auxes like in PT though. I wish I could set the input of a track to a bus so I could print things the same way I do in PT, but that's just because that's what I've gotten used to I guess.

It's probably because I don't exactly get how folder tracks work, but I find myself always preferring to just bus tracks into sub-mix tracks rather than putting them into the sub-mix track folder, mainly because I can't figure out how the gain-staging works with folders (seems like the faders on the individual tracks don't always function) Does putting tracks in folders change the editing behavior? I never realized...

And how can you ask for any quicker routing options than good ol' Alt-R? ;)