Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

It's probably because I don't exactly get how folder tracks work, but I find myself always preferring to just bus tracks into sub-mix tracks rather than putting them into the sub-mix track folder, mainly because I can't figure out how the gain-staging works with folders (seems like the faders on the individual tracks don't always function) Does putting tracks in folders change the editing behavior? I never realized...

And how can you ask for any quicker routing options than good ol' Alt-R? ;)

The thing with fader tracks is, if you're going to use them as a bus then you need to alter the routing accordingly. When you drop tracks onto a folder track then the audio will be routed both to the folder track AND the master bus. But that's not a discussion for this topic.

I'm sorry, please forgive me for asking something only like ~85% related to the thread :loco: So I guess the implication is that yes, putting tracks under a folder track automatically groups them all together for editing?

Then what exactly is the purpose of folder tracks? (not trying to be provocative, genuinely curious - all I can think of is making it easier to quickly identify stuff visually)

And I seriously can't believe you can't group tracks for editing in Reaper, that's just unfathomably stupid IMO

Eh maybe, the people over there are not very responsive to things like this. 95% of them think the Pipeline Audio tutorial makes Reaper as good as Beat Detective even though it kills half of your transients. Most people over there have no complaints about anything so this tutorial isn't offering them much since apparently they can already do everything better in Reaper than in any other DAW :p

Well... you do have a point. But, it would definitely benefit some. :cool:

Then what exactly is the purpose of folder tracks? (not trying to be provocative, genuinely curious - all I can think of is making it easier to quickly identify stuff visually)

And I seriously can't believe you can't group tracks for editing in Reaper, that's just unfathomably stupid IMO

Folder tracks are a great help when mixing, YMMV!
Defo worth reading up on them in the manual Marcus!

Phil is mistaken about the routing of folder tracks, when something is in a folder track it is routed only to it's parent folder, then the parent folder is routed to the master. So if I have all my snare tracks in a snare folder, if I mute the snare folder track, all the child snare tracks are muted. The tracks aren't being routed in parallel to the parent folder AND the master, that defeats the purpose.

I will usually have a drum folder, that contains folders for cymbals, snares, kicks and toms, and in THOSE folders are my actual tracks. So I can apply FX to the folder tracks which applies it to the sum of the child tracks.

Then I'll have a Guitars folder, with all my different guitar tracks, including sub groups for like "Recto reamp" and "5150 reamp" so I can control the balance between the two tones.

It is a godsend for mixing, and it is the simplest concept ever, there is nothing confusing about it...? It works just like folders in Windows Explorer or something. You are just building a track hierarchy and the folder track itself is outputting the sum of all it's children. So if you take the drum folder track and put a compressor on it, there's your drum bus compression without having to make sends on every track to a new drum bus track. Or if you are high passing all your rhythm guitars, apply the high pass to the Rhythm Guitar folder track and it'll cut all the bottom end out of all the guitar tracks at once. Do I have to make a video for that too...?

Haha, yeah yeah, RTFM, saw that one coming :lol:

Except I said it much nicer because I <3 you Marcus! :lol:
Nah seriously dude, a lot of Reaper's features you'll never know about unless you actually run into a wall and need a solution - chances are, the solution's already in Reaper...except decent audio editing...and a proper area selection tool...and track based grouping... :Smug:

Haha, thanks for being gentle Niall :D And Adam, no you don't need to make a video, nor is it all that hard to understand, jesus, calm down Mr. Grumpypants :lol: What your describing is of course identical to simply bussing those tracks to sub-mix tracks, but of course made easier by just dragging those tracks into folders; however, what I'm saying is my experience has been that it doesn't always work that way, though I can't remember how exactly (it involved fader values, and possibly FX on the folder track not completely applying to the tracks under them), but I just opened up a session and dicked around with folders, and as far as I can tell they do in fact work just like bussing, so maybe it was a bug or something...

Haha, thanks for being gentle Niall :D And Adam, no you don't need to make a video, nor is it all that hard to understand, jesus, calm down Mr. Grumpypants :lol: What your describing is of course identical to simply bussing those tracks to sub-mix tracks, but of course made easier by just dragging those tracks into folders; however, what I'm saying is my experience has been that it doesn't always work that way, though I can't remember how exactly (it involved fader values, and possibly FX on the folder track not completely applying to the tracks under them), but I just opened up a session and dicked around with folders, and as far as I can tell they do in fact work just like bussing, so maybe it was a bug or something...

Pffffft a bug in Reaper? Come on, Reaper is perfect! :lol:

well, late to the game but seeing how easy Adam made editing in Reaper look, Im downloading the trial version now.:kickass: Thanks for posting that

the last time i tried folders, everything would get muted (or...IIRC, not even muted, just half muted) whenever i collapsed one. it was confusing the fack outta me. did i miss something?

Yeah, I'm guessing they must have changed something with folders in an update semi-recently if Julian, myself, and Phil have all experienced different manifestations of weirdness with 'em - cool to know they're fine now anyway!