Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

Okay, few problems going back to Reaper.

1. If after editing for say, 10 minutes and I get distracted for a minute, when I look back to the computer and see a kick hit in the middle of two grid lines, I'm never certain if the hit is early or late. Any tips?

2. The metronome in Reaper is terrible. Are you guys using alternative samples for your metronome? If so, care to share? :)

3. With the tempo set to say, 200 BPM, is there any way to have the metronome audibly click to whatever I have the grid divisions set to? I want to be able to speed up or half the clicks without adjusting the tempo.

First of all, awesome video and many thanks! I've been getting faster at drum editing in Reaper, but this looks like it'll open up a whole new world.

I am curious though, I noticed that you use linear crossfades. Do you or anyone else recommend them over the others? I think the default in Reaper is one that looks like the side of a hill, kind of convex. So I've always used it, but now I'm wondering if I should switch to linear.

i mentioned in the other thread- windows has an integrated feature called sticky keys, joey used to use it while editing drums in cubendo. it can be found in the windows accesibility menu. don't know about mac though. isn't there command control focus or something along those lines that i've heard of?

from windows help:

StickyKeys is designed for people who have difficulty holding down two or more keys simultaneously. When a shortcut requires a key combination, such as CTRL+P, StickyKeys will enable you to press a modifier key (CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT), or the Windows logo key, and have it remain active until another key is pressed.

1. Open Accessibility Options.
2. On the Keyboard tab, under StickyKeys, select the Use StickyKeys check box.
3. To turn off StickyKeys, clear the Use StickyKeys check box.

Mac version

http://audiogeekzine.com/reaper_questions/Picture4.png

You can see that I'm holding down command shift at the time.
I'll mess around with this some more tonight maybe, but alt definitely get's held down with this function. tap alt 3 times to disable the sticky key.

Okay, few problems going back to Reaper.

1. If after editing for say, 10 minutes and I get distracted for a minute, when I look back to the computer and see a kick hit in the middle of two grid lines, I'm never certain if the hit is early or late. Any tips?

Hit play and figure it out :p

2. The metronome in Reaper is terrible. Are you guys using alternative samples for your metronome? If so, care to share? :)

I'm using this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3616293/rim_shot.wav

3. With the tempo set to say, 200 BPM, is there any way to have the metronome audibly click to whatever I have the grid divisions set to? I want to be able to speed up or half the clicks without adjusting the tempo.

It's a bit unintuitive but you can change the click divisions by adding a time signature change. So if the section is 4/4 and you want the click to be quarter notes, leave it at 4/4. If you want to hear 8th notes, set it to 8/8, and 16th notes set it to 16/16.

First of all, awesome video and many thanks! I've been getting faster at drum editing in Reaper, but this looks like it'll open up a whole new world.

I am curious though, I noticed that you use linear crossfades. Do you or anyone else recommend them over the others? I think the default in Reaper is one that looks like the side of a hill, kind of convex. So I've always used it, but now I'm wondering if I should switch to linear.

This is a great question, the fades you are referring to are usually called "Equal Power Crossfades" whereas I'm using "Linear Crossfades." I have never understoof the purpose of an equal power crossfade, I would very much like someone to explain it to me? If I take a piece of audio, split it and put an equal power crossfade, it gets louder at the middle of the fade. Why would you want this? I figure you always want the sum of the two signals to equal the same volume as one signal at regular volume on it's own, and a linear crossfade achieves this while an equal power crossfade raises the volume of the whole clip during the fade...

^
I also use 'equal power crossfades'.. would the 'equal power' part mean that it stays at equal perceived volume? While a Linear Crossfade is technically correct but results in a drop in perceived volume? I honestly don't know.

Find this. So i guess i will switch to Equal gain crossfades.

"Equal power crossfades are recommended in instances where you're crossfading between different types of musical material. Equal gain crossfades are better when crossfading between regions of similar musical material, like when editing drums."

+1 to all of this

BUT this is even easier in cubase

and even easier in nuendo

cubase go to tool modifiers and change slip to ctrl alt or something
1. hold alt
2.while holding alt click it
3. to slip it hold alt and ctrl
4.click while holding crtl and alt cut before the bar you need to get to. so you have room to slip it

neundo
1. do the same thing in cubase where you change slip to alt
2. hold alt then click it
3. don't let go of alt and just drag dat sunovabitch

so. yeah cubase here i come, i still <3 reaper

+1 to all of this

1. hold alt
4.click while holding crtl and alt cut before the bar you need to get to. so you have room to slip it

neundo

How is that easier dude? With my method, you hold alt the whole time, then just hit S and then click and drag. You only have to click once per cut, there's no way in any program to make it faster or easier because it's impossible to have less steps in that process. You have to cut something, then drag it, even in Cubase... So for me, S cuts, click and drag slips, it's as fast as it gets!

well also in cubendo thevscroll weel is the grab tool which helps when you set your view to 200ms so when you grab it and move the screen it doesn't go insane

+1 to all of this

1. hold alt

neundo

Kick ASS!!!!!!!!! I might be able to edit drums worth a fuck now! Thanks fellas

for windows users alt is a bit of bitch as it selects the menu. Anyone know how to stop this? for example if i use alt+mousewheel to scroll horizontally, release alt then try and use mousewheel zooming it juse does nothing as i've actually got the file menu selected by having pressed alt

for windows users alt is a bit of bitch as it selects the menu. Anyone know how to stop this? for example if i use alt+mousewheel to scroll horizontally, release alt then try and use mousewheel zooming it juse does nothing as i've actually got the file menu selected by having pressed alt

This can be annoying. Unless someone does know a good way around this, my advice is to simply tap alt again after using the scroll wheel. I've tried searching for ways to make alt not activate the menu, but everything I've found basically says it's not possible.

tnx for uploading such a great tutorial!

Catharsis, I also use Cubase - would you be so kind and do some quick video tutorial or upload pictures of how you do it in Cubase?
I try to do it the way you've mentioned but I got some problems...

I tried this today and it works perfectly. This is without doubts one of the best topics in this forum. This should be sticked, it´s precious information. :headbang:

I tried this today and it works perfectly. This is without doubts one of the best topics in this forum. This should be sticked, it´s precious information. :headbang:

+1000 I have been trying to figure out how to edit drums efficiently for years. I have just converted hits to midi in the past. This is Holy Grail shit for me. Thank you guys that have contributed!

I only have one problem im having besides noobness involves the auto cross fades..... I can get the cut at curser and slip audio to work but I can&#8217;t seem to get the auto cross fades to work and it is turned on in my preferences.
Do I have to create a macro? Im using Cubase.

+1000 I have been trying to figure out how to edit drums efficiently for years. I have just converted hits to midi in the past. This is Holy Grail shit for me. Thank you guys that have contributed!

I only have one problem im having besides noobness involves the auto cross fades..... I can get the cut at curser and slip audio to work but I can’t seem to get the auto cross fades to work and it is turned on in my preferences.
Do I have to create a macro? Im using Cubase.

My understanding is that with Cubase, you do all your cuts and slips and then afterwards you select all the regions and do a batch fade or something, I'm sure someone else can chime in.