Reaper Slip Editing Tutorial

Unfortunately, I do not think Sonar has the slip function. Melodeth and I were talking earlier about this and he said he does not think Sonar has it, he uses Sonar.

Yep :( Altho tbh I prefer letting AudioSnap do the work and then fixing it up.

@crosstalk: Nice dude thanks for that. I wonder why the linear crossfade creates a volume drop just because udio has been slipped around? Some theory behind this would be really helpful because I would really like to understand it... Must have something to do with differences in phase when something is moved around? I'm guessing then equal power crossfades should pretty much be used exclusively as you will never be crossfading something with itself, you might as well not have a crossfade at all in that scenario.

Because the audio is decaying. So its not like when you have a distorted guitar thing and you're crossfading that, the audio is constant already, and you're just moving it. With drums the audio is fading out all the time, so if you move it, you have to make sure the decay stays the same.

Actually this may explain why I've had trouble editing guitar DI's in the past XD I've always used equal power crossfades. Perhaps equal gain crossfades should be used for them.

Because the audio is decaying. So its not like when you have a distorted guitar thing and you're crossfading that, the audio is constant already, and you're just moving it. With drums the audio is fading out all the time, so if you move it, you have to make sure the decay stays the same.

Actually this may explain why I've had trouble editing guitar DI's in the past XD I've always used equal power crossfades. Perhaps equal gain crossfades should be used for them.

I don't agree with this, I think it's a bit more complicated and not instrument specific... You're explanation almost makes sense if you are only moving things closer that were played too far apart, but when you are taking something played early and moving it later, you are REPEATING the decay from the previous section of audio, so where something would normally be decaying in volume, you are taking the same part at the same volume and playing it AGAIN so it should be LOUDER... By your explanation an equal power crossfade would be magnifying that and making it even louder and unnatural than it normally would sound...

Guitars are always decaying as well, especially DI guitars... Plus, the pictures crosstalk posted were using a guitar waveform and equal power crossfades show a rise in volume UNLESS you slipped the audio. So for some reason, moving audio out of it's natural phase with the previous section requires an equal power crossfade, which is why I'm inclined to believe it has something to do with the difference in phase between the two items you are fading together, and that you must be compensating for partial nulls created by shifting something out of phase with what it was previously IN phase with...

Here is the Cubase vid, I made it real fast so it's nice n durrrtay. For some reason too the mic signal sounds fine on playback but after uploading and viewing on my ftp and dropbox and something else the audio crackles... dunno. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.winterskiesprod.com/slipeditcubase.swf

Nice vid Mike, I'm sure this will help the Cubase folk!

PS. The 240bpm song I showed originally that had about 2000 cuts, I didn't consolidate it at all the whole time and I noticed absolutely zero difference in performance of my computer, not sure if that's because of Reaper's audio engine and how it handles things or what, but I know Jeff had to consolidate a lot when working on similar material in Cubase and I think his machine is pretty solid? I am just running a stock 15" MacBook Pro with the lowest available specs.

It's not too bad for me really, but I wouldn't be surprised if Reaper does handle it better given it's rep with resources for everything else.

006 - thanks for the video!
got 2 questions:
1.How did you get rid of the track colour? I see that you transients don't have colour, which is cool because you can see the grid line etc.
2.Do you think that crossfades are unecessary?

Hope you understand me :p

Thanks again for the video, it really helps

Matt

for the first question: Preferences/event display/transparent events.
2 question, 006 use auto crossfades and "Note that auto fades are not indicated by the fade lines!" --» cubase manual. You dont see them but when you push play they are there. Strange isnt?lol

2 question, 006 use auto crossfades and "Note that auto fades are not indicated by the fade lines!" --» cubase manual. You dont see them but when you push play they are there. Strange isnt?lol

thanks!

Yes this auto crossfade thing is really strange...

Exactly :)

you can add the cross fades manually

i use auto fades just so it doesnt sound like ass while im working on it, and i can preview what the fades will sound like just by hitting play

but in the end, i select all the events and cross fade them

you can add the cross fades manually

i use auto fades just so it doesnt sound like ass while im working on it, and i can preview what the fades will sound like just by hitting play

but in the end, i select all the events and cross fade them

Which crossfade are you using, just default?

I need some help... I had this method working perfectly the other day, but now when I'm trying to use it on MorganC's drumtracks he posted and I cannot get it to work properly. I can split and slip the items, but when I move them everything is moving, even the deselected items that come before my new split.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/260611/WTF.swf

Here's a video showing what's happening. Sorry for the bad quality, but it should get the point across.

I'm sure it's something stupid causing the problem, I just can't figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks to Adam for the video. Thanks to 006 for this contribution as well. I look forward to trying this method after my next drum tracking session.

I need some help... I had this method working perfectly the other day, but now when I'm trying to use it on MorganC's drumtracks he posted and I cannot get it to work properly. I can split and slip the items, but when I move them everything is moving, even the deselected items that come before my new split.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/260611/WTF.swf

Here's a video showing what's happening. Sorry for the bad quality, but it should get the point across.

I'm sure it's something stupid causing the problem, I just can't figure out what it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yikes, can you post exactly what your macro is for splitting? That's the only thing I could think of that might be causing some trouble...