Recommend me Some "Good" Death Metal

My Arms said:
Opeth > Bloodbath > all other death metal bands

simple as that.

That's kind of silly. Bloodbath totally rips off a whole bunch of late 80's/early 90's deathmetal bands. Calling a band who's sole purpose is to be completely derivative (which they openly admit to so there is nothing necessarily wrong with that) the best of a genre is odd. Don't get me wrong, I love Bloodbath, but there are other great death metal bands that came long before Bloodbath and who actually crafted the sound that Bloodbath uses.

CAIRATH said:
That's kind of silly. Bloodbath totally rips off a whole bunch of late 80's/early 90's deathmetal bands. Calling a band who's sole purpose is to be completely derivative (which they openly admit to so there is nothing necessarily wrong with that) the best of a genre is odd. Don't get me wrong, I love Bloodbath, but there are other great death metal bands that came long before Bloodbath and who actually crafted the sound that Bloodbath uses.

Yes but maybe I prefer it the way Bloodbath does their "sound" ;)
Opinions for the win!

Mr. Josey Wales said:
dont know what you call strapping young lad, but they are pretty badass...

check out SYL and Alien :headbang:

...and City...their masterpiece!

My Arms said:
Yes but maybe I prefer it the way Bloodbath does their "sound" ;)
Opinions for the win!

Fair enough. But have you heard things like early Entombed and Dismember? They are quite similar in sound. So if you haven't you should check them out.

if theres one band that makes me laugh at how on earth they got a record deal.. its cannibal corpse... shit lyrics, shit riffs, stupid drums, annoying vocals that sound like theyre being growled through a long toilet roll tube, half-existant basslines.. Yeh I know I said I didn't get what Tool were all about in an earlier thread.. but Im willing to try out and adapt to that... but this band .. no amount of listening or lighting up will get me to appreciate this shit.. sorry lol

daz436 said:
if theres one band that makes me laugh at how on earth they got a record deal.. its cannibal corpse... shit lyrics, shit riffs, stupid drums, annoying vocals that sound like theyre being growled through a long toilet roll tube, half-existant basslines.. Yeh I know I said I didn't get what Tool were all about in an earlier thread.. but Im willing to try out and adapt to that... but this band .. no amount of listening or lighting up will get me to appreciate this shit.. sorry lol

Unlike perhaps a few people on this forum, death metal doesn't exactly run my life but Cannibal Corpse are good stuff. The thing with US bands such as CC and Deicide (though I'm all that fond of the latter) is that while they, like more accessible European bands such as Necrophagist, Opeth and At the Gates fall under the label of "death metal" they come from an entirely different school of it. Their music more concerned with brutality and rawness than texture or melody. It depends what you go for a I guess, but I'm open to both.

I'm no particular fan of Cannibal Corpse either. The song 'Hammer Smashed Face' was good in Ace Ventura, but it sounds crap when you listen to it on its own - the vocals are really quite feeble.

I don't know whether or not anybody else here has heard of them, but I think if you want good death metal (other than Opeth) then a great place to look is the album 'Undeceived' by Extol. There's one song from it on their website (click on my banner if you're interested) called 'Ember', I would recommend it.

Adramelech: pychostasia. Don't check out anything else from the band since it does not have the original guitarists,drummer or vocalist.
Demigod: slumber of sullen eyes
Dismember: like an everflowing stream
Amorphis: the karelian isthmus,tales from a thousand lakes(you can see the band moving away from DM)
Entombed: left hand path
Demilich: nespithe
Immolation: dawn of possession,here in after
Morbid Angel: altars of madness,blessed are the sick
Incantation: onward to golgotha,mortal throne of nazarene
Revenant: prophecies of a dying world
Tiamat: the astral sleep
Bolt Thrower: warmaster
God Macabre: the winterlong
Atrocity: hallucinations,longing for death
Pestilence: comsuming impulse
Sentenced: north from here,shadows of the past
Edge of Sanity: unorthodox,the spectral sorrows
Torchure: beyond the veil
Darkthrone: soulside journey. Darkthrone is known as a black metal band but do have one death metal album.
Gorefest: false
Carcass: necroticism,heartwork
Funebre: children of the scorn
Gorguts: considered dead,the erosion of sanity
Unleashed: where no life dwells
Gorement:the ending quest
Brutality: when the sky turns black
Monstrosity: imperial doom