RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" for more oldschool black metal, or "At the Heart of Winter" for more melodic black metal.

The Greys said:
I need some recomendations for an oldschool death metal song to cover. Instead of me just deciding myself I would rather have some of you participate since some of us are really into early 90's death metal(this place came to mind). I have almost two weeks to figure out the song. I think it would be more fun to have some imput.

Demigod - Slumber of the Sullen Eyes

The Greys said:
I need some recomendations for an oldschool death metal song to cover. Instead of me just deciding myself I would rather have some of you participate since some of us are really into early 90's death metal(this place came to mind). I have almost two weeks to figure out the song. I think it would be more fun to have some imput.

Grave - Deformed

fat bastard said:
SA were one of those bands that i never gave a fair chance to in the beginning but now really enjoy and couldn t get out of my cd player for months. winterhearts guild might be the best place to start or you could go with the new one, reckoning day. some people probably find them cheesy but i like how high energy the music is and they have some of the coolest vocal melodies around. i find that if you dont immediately like a song in the beginning you usually find something cool towards the end.
if you can download the songs wolf and the raven, broken, victorias secret,full moon or misplaced for a taste of the band.

I tried out some of those songs and I rather like them. It took me a minute to adjust to the vocals, but the formula is quite good. I like my power metal with speed, so this is just what I've been looking for.

The Greys said:

Something by Pestilence.

Authentic Metalhead said:
I tried out some of those songs and I rather like them. It took me a minute to adjust to the vocals, but the formula is quite good. I like my power metal with speed, so this is just what I've been looking for.

a lot of people seem to have trouble with tonys voice but you get used to it pretty fast. the new album has some killer vocal harmonies and you do see a definite improvement from album to album. the fact that they keep things uptempo most of the time benifits me as well. im pretty iffy with most power metal but SA works great for me.

The Greys said:

Entombed - Supposed to Rot
Carnage - Self Dissection
Carcass - Embryonic Necropsy And Devourment

Nice

I will look into tabs later. My printer does not work so i'm going to have too sit here with my guitar looking at dumb tabs :lol:

curious if anyone knows...

You know when listening to an oldschool death metal album you hear bells being used sometimes. Do bands actually use real bells in a studio or are these artificial maybe done on a keyboard or something. I think it sounds really cool.

The Greys said:
Nice

I will look into tabs later. My printer does not work so i'm going to have too sit here with my guitar looking at dumb tabs :lol:

curious if anyone knows...

You know when listening to an oldschool death metal album you hear bells being used sometimes. Do bands actually use real bells in a studio or are these artificial maybe done on a keyboard or something. I think it sounds really cool.

you ever try going by ear rather than tabs and what tuning are you using and does it matter if you match the original in that aspect or not?

I could probably learn just about anything if shown. I am not good learning others peoples music by ear. I rarely just figure out a riff on my own. I figured out some of metallica 'master of puppets' by ear but that's just incredible simple to be with. I was thinking about covering a slayer song since there music is really simple but covering a slayer song is probably cliche.

I will probably tune to the original of whatever the song might be. Tabs usually tell the tuning of a song.

The Greys said:
I could probably learn just about anything if shown. I am not good learning others peoples music by ear. I rarely just figure out a riff on my own. I figured out some of metallica 'master of puppets' by ear but that's just incredible simple to be with. I was thinking about covering a slayer song since there music is really simple but covering a slayer song is probably cliche.

I will probably tune to the original of whatever the song might be. Tabs usually tell the tuning of a song.

Mate, I play guitar like a Thalidomide victim, and I can play most of the early Entombed stuff by ear. The simplicity is the appeal, ya dig ?

Entombed is one of those bands that if you can't slightly get the guitar sound with your gear covering their music and riffs is not going to sound right but rather akward. I'm not going to bother because even if I nailed the parts it's going to sound akward.

I have this new line 6 dr. distorto thing. I just need to get this tonedock to use it then maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.