RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for some accessible/somewhat polished (nothing like dimmu borgir, I just don't want anything raw) good black metal

- somewhat melodic at least
- good vocals that are at least somewhat comprehensible/coherent (early opeth, dissection)
- alot of emotion

First and foremost, listen to the two albums I recommended the other day.

Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

and

Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter (This is far more accessible than the aforementioned, and is absolutely overflowing with melancholic melody.)

Then, these:

Dawn - Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Absu - Tara

Good list up there. I'd add Forgotten Woods - 'As the Wolves Gather', though it might not quite fill the vocal requirements.

First and foremost, listen to the two albums I recommended the other day.

Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

and

Vinterland - Welcome My Last Chapter (This is far more accessible than the aforementioned, and is absolutely overflowing with melancholic melody.)

Then, these:

Dawn - Slaughtersun (Crown of the Triarchy)
Rotting Christ - Thy Mighty Contract
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
Absu - Tara

awesome :kickass: :kickass:

I've only heard Subconcious Lobotomy. It's good, albeit typical, mid-paced Swedish DM. Nothing more.

Great album but only pressed around 1000 times so it's rare as hell. Get Malleus Maleficarum which are e.ps recorded after Subconcious Lobotomy remastered and re-released on one cd by candlelight. You can't go wrong with this.

Manowar should never be compared to Dragonforce or Bal-Sagoth.

Get the first four albums to start, you're bound to like it.

I am looking for some accessible/somewhat polished (nothing like dimmu borgir, I just don't want anything raw) good black metal

- somewhat melodic at least
- good vocals that are at least somewhat comprehensible/coherent (early opeth, dissection)
- alot of emotion

Cryptic Wintermoon meet all criteria. songs: "When Daylight Dies", "When Daylight Dies", "Into Ashes".

Wyrd aren't too coherent, but they have a Saturnus-/Insomnium-esque melodic emotional power. songs: "Ravenhill" for a taste of their old raw production shit, "Aijeke" to hear their more folky vibe, and get the album 'The Ghost Album' or at least grab the song "Daylight Dies", and if you like that you'll like the whole album.

I'm looking for more viking/folk.
not straight up 'finntroll' folk, but more folky black metal, death metal with a folky melody, etc.

particularly with no/minimal 'polka' or 'troll' bullshit.

bands I've already heard: Adorned Brood, Arkona, Asmegin, Lemuria, Nebelborn, Volkolak, Wolfchant, Woodtemple, Kromlek, Blind Guardian, Butterfly Temple, Einherjer, Eluveitie, Empyrium, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Falchion, Falkenbach, Finntroll, Fjoergyn, Folkearth, Glittertind, Heathen Dawn, Heidevolk, Helheim, Hollenthon, Isengard, Kroda, Kyprian's Circle, Lumsk, Månegarm, Menhir, Mithotyn, Nachtfalke, Nomans Land, Odroerir, Ondskapt, Orphaned Land, Otyg, Pagan Reign, Runic, Skyclad, Solgrav, Stormlord, Tiwaz, Thiasos Dionysos, Thronar , Thundra, Thyrfing, Thrudvangar, TrollfesT, Týr, Vintersorg, Volkolak, Woods Of Ypres, Wyrd, XIV Dark Centuries

Bands I particularly didn't like: Lemuria, Kromlek, Blind Guardian, Finntroll, Kroda, TrollfesT, Týr

Bands I particularly like: Wolfchant, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Kyprian's Circle, Månegarm, Mithotyn, Nomans Land, Pagan Reign, Thyrfing, Wyrd.

I'm looking for more viking/folk.
not straight up 'finntroll' folk, but more folky black metal, death metal with a folky melody, etc.

particularly with no/minimal 'polka' or 'troll' bullshit.

bands I've already heard: Adorned Brood, Arkona, Asmegin, Lemuria, Nebelborn, Volkolak, Wolfchant, Woodtemple, Kromlek, Blind Guardian, Butterfly Temple, Einherjer, Eluveitie, Empyrium, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Falchion, Falkenbach, Finntroll, Fjoergyn, Folkearth, Glittertind, Heathen Dawn, Heidevolk, Helheim, Hollenthon, Isengard, Kroda, Kyprian's Circle, Lumsk, Månegarm, Menhir, Mithotyn, Nachtfalke, Nomans Land, Odroerir, Ondskapt, Orphaned Land, Otyg, Pagan Reign, Runic, Skyclad, Solgrav, Stormlord, Tiwaz, Thiasos Dionysos, Thronar , Thundra, Thyrfing, Thrudvangar, TrollfesT, Týr, Vintersorg, Volkolak, Woods Of Ypres, Wyrd, XIV Dark Centuries

Bands I particularly didn't like: Lemuria, Kromlek, Blind Guardian, Finntroll, Kroda, TrollfesT, Týr

Bands I particularly like: Wolfchant, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Kyprian's Circle, Månegarm, Mithotyn, Nomans Land, Pagan Reign, Thyrfing, Wyrd.

Temnozor, Helheim, Moonsorrow, Moonspell, Die Apokalyptischen Reiter , Elvenking, Vintersong, Skyforger, Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Bathory, Unleashed, Suidakra, Folkearth, Isengard, Korpiklaani, Kroda, Windir

Status
Not open for further replies.