RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys. I'm back again for more recommendations. Basacilly, I'm looking for instrumental guitar shred albums. Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland. Stuff like that. Thanks.

reasons.jpg

Not exactly shred, but that's why he's not shite: Joe Satriani. My personal favourites are Surfing With The Alien, Flying In A Blue Dream, Crystal Planet and his newest one which I forget the name of.

Luca Brasi said:
Hey, guys. I'm back again for more recommendations. Basacilly, I'm looking for instrumental guitar shred albums. Yngwie Malmsteen, Marty Friedman, Chris Poland. Stuff like that. Thanks.

My favorite instrumental of all time: Tony Macalpine - Maximum Security

i realize i havent really given modern rock much of a chance in my metal filled life.... so if you guys know any bands out there that kick ass and are "modern Rock" please mention.

MasterOLightning said:
How about some raw, hateful BM? Something like the last Hate Forest album, but with more hate.

Craft - Total Soul Rape
Fluisterwoud - Langs Glag en Rad
Anything you can find by the band "Niroth" (I believe they have an album coming out soon)

OfManAndMetal said:
i realize i havent really given modern rock much of a chance in my metal filled life.... so if you guys know any bands out there that kick ass and are "modern Rock" please mention.
All of Anathema's albums since Alternative 4 are modern rock in a sense. I guess they're mainly atmospheric rock. A Fine Day to Exit is the best of these. It's pretty moody stuff. Might not be as upbeat as you want, but it's one of my favorite non-metal albums.

Recent Katatonia might be what you want. I haven't heard them too extensively, but they're also on the moody side. They come off as uninspired and generic to me, but they seem to have a good following. More of a hard rock sound. You can find samples are out there somewhere.

Porcupine Tree are more upbeat than the two above for the most part. They definitely have a prog vibe to them, but recent albums are still mostly guitar driven. Not all that heavy, but rather diverse.

None of the above are what you would call mainstream. I don't know how "ass kicking" they are either, but worth at least checking out.

Décadent said:
Craft - Total Soul Rape
Fluisterwoud - Langs Glag en Rad
Anything you can find by the band "Niroth" (I believe they have an album coming out soon)
It turns out the Niroth demo is available for free download on their website, which is something I'm happy to take advantage of. Sounds very much like what I was looking for. Pretty good stuff.

OfManAndMetal said:
Breaking Benjamin
recent Paradise Lost
recent Katatonia
recent Sentenced

Status
Not open for further replies.