Rectifier's different tastes

UlfK

Thrash member
May 1, 2006
Berlin
Hi everyone, I have seen that this forum has various discussions about chosing the right metal amp. So far, I am very satisfied with my 5150. However, having read that Andy Sneap has used a combination of Krank Rev One with a Rectifier for the latest Arch Enemy, I am considering getting me another amp to add an additional flavour.
Here's what I would like to know. Can anyone comment on the differences between the Recto models. If you follow harmony central, it seems that the 2 Ch.- Dual Recto outperform the 3 Ch. Dual Recto when it comes to brutal distortion.
Has anyone compared the dual model with the rackmount dual recto? More important: has anyone tested the Rectifer Recording Preamp against the 2 Ch.-Rectifier.
Anytime I have tried a Rectifier in a shop (always 3 Ch. version), I found the sound not to be tight in bass.

The latest AE was actually all Krank: 2 tracks through the Mesa cabinet and 2 tracks through the Krank cabinet. You may be thinking of the latest Nevermore, which was indeed 2 tracks of Krank and 2 tracks of Dual Rectifier.

As for the Recto issue, I hear a lot of things about the older (pre-94 if I remember right), 2-channel versions being the "magic" ones. But who knows; I always take that stuff with a grain of salt. There's a huge debate about the 5150 in much the same way (block letter vs. signature models), but in reality the only reason the old block letters seemed to sound better was because Peavey used different tubes back then.

Wish I could be more help. I've heard some great-sounding Rectos, but I borrowed one not long ago and it sounded really scratchy. The Recto's bass is definitely loose and floppy if you're not careful; a Tube Screamer in front should tighten it up.

Good luck,

Hi Matt, you may be right. I can't find Andy's post if AE was Krank or Krank/Recto.
I know about the 5150 rumours (see quote below) and this is why was interested in getting someone's personal experience. Especially about the Dual and the Recording Pre.

For all that believe in the Block Letter 5150 story. Here's a quote from known amp modifier Jerry (FJA Mods):
"The block logo 5150 and the signature logo are the same amps. Through
the years Peavey used a few different suppliers for some of the parts
but the circuit is identical. Due to the parts tolerances it's possible
to have one amp sound better than the other. Tubes will have a big
effect too."

I rented a Triple Rectifier for the weekend, and it sounds AWESOME and completely crushes the old 2-channel Dual Recto I borrowed a while back. And the old ones are supposed to be so much better. Just shows how much stock you can put in all those rumors I guess!

Interesting! Did you use it they way it is, or did you run a Tube Screamer upfront.
I have my Rectifier Recording Pre and I really like it with the TS-808 in front. I have not yet tried it with a power amp. I am very curious about that.

I have a feeling that some guitarists love the clipping of a poweramp while others don't. Personally, I don't want my amp to sound different (or even muddy) when I want more volume. This could also be a reason why a TripleRec sounds better than a DualRec... just guessing.

Hi Matt,

was it just the Triple Recto or did you use a Tube Screamer upfront? Sounds good to me.

:Smug: GIVE ME THE FRAMUS COBRA & DIEZEL VH4(WHICH I OWN)HEADS!!! THE MESA STUFF IS SOOOOOO OVER RATED! WHAT IS IT WITH TUBE RECTIFIERS THAT PLAYERS LIKE? IT'S SAG PEOPLE AS IN, MAKING YOUR SOUND "NOT TIGHT".......I'VE TRIED EVERY MESA DUAL & TRIPLE RECTIFIERS IN EVERY MUSIC STORE I GO THAT CARRIES THEM, AND THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. THESE AMPS DO NOT HAVE CRUSHING BRUTAL GAIN!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! IS EVERYONE DEAF?????
SAVE UP YOUR MONEY AND BUY THE FRAMUS COBRA HEAD AND/OR DIEZEL VH4 HEADS AND YOU'LL BE SITTING PRETTY!