Regarding opening bands...

booB

Señor Member
Mar 25, 2003
Cleveland, OH USA
I don't understand all the pessimistic comments regarding the openers. Opening bands are rarely added to a fest lineup with the expectation of bringing in extra people. I'm sure all opening bands realize that most of the people who will be there to see them are the hard-cores who research the bands beforehand, and the other bands, promoters, etc. (especially in the apathetic Chicago scene). Opening a fest like this, particularly for a band like Chaoswave, is more about the street cred from logging their first stateside appearance, and getting a good review in metal publications, than it is about drawing a crowd to their performance.

That said, I think that people traveling in for the fest are more likely to catch the openers than the apathetic locals are, and I also think that Iced Earth + Testament = more travelers than in past years. I'm looking for Chaoswave to have a larger audience than Thurisaz or Suspyre did, by virtue of greater overall fest attendance.

Oh yeah, and Chaoswave is still my favorite band on the bill thus far, so maybe I'm just a little biased. :) But I'm optimistic.

Dude, we have been down this road already.
What is your point in creating this thread?

Most comments myself and others have made were based solely as on the surface, direct responses to what Rob and Chris has said about this year's Powerfest, being a "make or break" year.

With seeking sponsorship and watching expenses, at first, it didn't seem cost-effective bringing in a band from Italy who is barely known. Secondly, they ran the risk of playing to a very small crowd.

Granted, this was last week.
Knowing what we know now, some of your comments are more valid.
(IE - there will be more out of towners that won't come late, etc, etc).

Dude, we have been down this road already.
What is your point in creating this thread?

If you don't like it, then what is your point in responding to it? We know you're a hard core Powerfest fan; you don't have to participate in every thread just for cred.

Most comments myself and others have made were based solely as on the surface, direct responses to what Rob and Chris has said about this year's Powerfest, being a "make or break" year.

With seeking sponsorship and watching expenses, at first, it didn't seem cost-effective bringing in a band from Italy who is barely known. Secondly, they ran the risk of playing to a very small crowd.

Granted, this was last week.
Knowing what we know now, some of your comments are more valid.
(IE - there will be more out of towners that won't come late, etc, etc).

My point is that these comments are STILL being made, and it doesn't make sense. If you just want to give me a hard time, then please consider your efforts a success, and cease to participate in this thread.

I've interpreted that statement with regard to just the headliners, and I think they've done a phenominal job with two huge bands.

Interpreting the strength of an overall fest line-up is too subjective for trying to assess their "make or break" statement. I am not interested in any of the Saturday bands except for Testament, which is enough to get me in the door this year. I'll be showing up late for the show.

Others may not care for the headliner in particular, but would love to see 5 other bands that they feel are "quality bands."

As boB mentioned, it's the other bands that may justify a trip for anyone traveling for the show. But it seems that the focus has been to bring in more of the local fans based on comments I've seen the guys make on the board, and that's what the headliners will do.

I am not giving you a hard time.
You made the thread.
I am responding to it, as I was one of the many who commented on the Saturday lineup.

Why would it bother you if anyone has an issue with the lineup? You said you like Chaoswave, then great!! You will get to see them. Hopefully others will as well. It would be a shame if they played to the size crowd that Thurisaz did.

Regardless of the fact that you like the opening band, there will be a lot of people outside of the "Powerfest circle" who won't view the show as part of Powerfest. It will be "Testament, with opening bands I have never heard of" That is the case for anytime an older band tours with newer bands. Lots of people show up late.

Hopefully, as you said given the large number of out of towners that no doubt will be in attendance, or even locals who will be there the whole weekend, all bands will play to a nice size crowd.

How do you know the band isn't paying their way to play this fest? I know lesser known bands that have been invited to play fests in Europe (and did) provided they paid for their own expenses. In most cases it's worth it to those bands. And for the fest promoters I'd say it's pretty darn cost effective.

How do you know the band isn't paying their way to play this fest? I know lesser known bands that have been invited to play fests in Europe (and did) provided they paid for their own expenses. In most cases it's worth it to those bands. And for the fest promoters I'd say it's pretty darn cost effective.

I agree 100%! I don't know the financial situation.
That was only part of my original questioning of slotting the band first.
I just had the flashback of Thurisaz playing to 50 people, which is a shame for any band coming overseas, regardless who is footing the bill.

I agree 100%! I don't know the financial situation.
That was only part of my original questioning of slotting the band first.
I just had the flashback of Thurisaz playing to 50 people, which is a shame for any band coming overseas, regardless who is footing the bill.

That could also be attributed to lesser-known headliners that didn't get people to come out to the show. Yes, the early bands of a big package/festival may not play to a full crowd, but the promotors will get their money from ticket sales based on the headliner name alone. Sucks for the opening bands, but that's always how it is - and any band in a lower slot knows it.

Actually, Rob already made mention in the other thread that much of the bill for Chaoswave was already covered by the band. However, my post wasn't so much directed at comments like Jasonic's, but rather Diabolik's, who is still discussing how many people the openers are going to bring in. I'm maintaining that this is not the point of openers; they are there for their own exposure and promotional purposes. Even if the place is not terribly crowded for them, there will still be journalists there, as well as other bands, managers, vendors, etc., and this type of exposure is much more important to an unknown band than playing for a handful of new potential fans. And I still maintain that the openers this year will have a larger crowd (and % of total attendees) than those of recent years.

Actually, Rob already made mention in the other thread that much of the bill for Chaoswave was already covered by the band. However, my post wasn't so much directed at comments like Jasonic's, but rather Diabolik's, who is still discussing how many people the openers are going to bring in. I'm maintaining that this is not the point of openers; they are there for their own exposure and promotional purposes. Even if the place is not terribly crowded for them, there will still be journalists there, as well as other bands, managers, vendors, etc., and this type of exposure is much more important to an unknown band than playing for a handful of new potential fans. And I still maintain that the openers this year will have a larger crowd (and % of total attendees) than those of recent years.

Agreed. And just having their name on the bill means exposure to those not planning on attending the fest. People are going to look them look them up because they haven't heard of them.

That could also be attributed to lesser-known headliners that didn't get people to come out to the show. Yes, the early bands of a big package/festival may not play to a full crowd, but the promotors will get their money from ticket sales based on the headliner name alone. Sucks for the opening bands, but that's always how it is - and any band in a lower slot knows it.

Well, this whole situation definitely changed a lot with the Iced Earth add, so some of my concerns for any of the openers has definitely diminished.

Festivals are great places to discover your potential next favorite band.

Whenever I have gone to fests, I try to get there as early as possible to check out the scene (IE - people watch, merchandise, vendors), as well as the bands.

One of my original thoughts though was that Testament has a lot of old school fans who aren't really in tune with the underground. Testament being part of "Powerfest" isn't of any importance.

Anyhow, I think this has been beaten to death!
I think all three nights of Powerfest will be very well attended.
This is the break that the dudes definitely deserve.

booB- I agree with you there.
In a festival setting, it really isn't too valid of a point to say, "Band X is good for 50 people, Band Y is good for 60 people, etc"

It is the WHOLE package.

People are forgetting, if you just have one huge drawing band each night...it basically doesnt feel like a "fest". More like 2 regular shows back to back. With having more recognized acts playing the other slots makes it feel more special. Sure it is cool to have lesser known acts or locals be the first ones to play but the other slots should be filled with quality / name acts. Those are the bands that will make people who are on the fence show up. For a bad example....Milwaukee Metalfest. You have one big headliner. Then below them you had bands like Windr, Enslaved, Vio-Lence, Nuclear Assault, and so on. On thier own these bands would bring in some people but together it makes it a more lucrative package and something different than just a normal show.

People are forgetting, if you just have one huge drawing band each night...it basically doesnt feel like a "fest". More like 2 regular shows back to back. With having more recognized acts playing the other slots makes it feel more special. Sure it is cool to have lesser known acts or locals be the first ones to play but the other slots should be filled with quality / name acts. Those are the bands that will make people who are on the fence show up. For a bad example....Milwaukee Metalfest. You have one big headliner. Then below them you had bands like Windr, Enslaved, Vio-Lence, Nuclear Assault, and so on. On thier own these bands would bring in some people but together it makes it a more lucrative package and something different than just a normal show.
Ideally you'd like to see a slight progression upward from the opener to the headliner .... not a bunch of fringe to mediocre bands then a major headlining band. I have to have at least some interest in the lower card to consider travelling great distances for a festival.

Britt

I agree. Who wants to stand through 4 bands that are not good to see one good band. Had to do that at the Edguy show and at Finntroll. It made for a longer night.

At least you got to talk to me for 2 minutes. That alone is worth the Edguy ticket price. :heh:

For a bad example....Milwaukee Metalfest. You have one big headliner. Then below them you had bands like Windr, Enslaved, Vio-Lence, Nuclear Assault, and so on. On thier own these bands would bring in some people but together it makes it a more lucrative package and something different than just a normal show.

Damn it...haven't you learned anything yet?!?!?! Baby steps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you honestly think that this isn't our eventual goal? WTF?!?! Geez!! Give 'em a foot, and they want a mile!! :p

And also, with the MIlwaukee Metalfest, you have to remember that there's 50+ (exaggerated of course) bands who pay to play to help pay for those other feature bands...something we will never do. Our philosophy is that no band should ever have to pay the promoter one cent...that's just simply taking advantage of bands. Every one of our bands have always & will always get something from us for their effort.

And FYI, I'm really not as angry as this post appears....just wishing I could slap the shit outta you sometimes. ;)