Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

While the band are indeed fans of The Big Lebowski, and that may have had an influence, Nihilism and those who follow it (nihilists) aren't that obscure of a theme. Especially in metal.

You don't have to be fluent in english or an expert in philosophy to know what it refers to. Pretty common. Same with the multiple meanings of "cry".

Non English speakers might have a harder time finding out what nihilist means.

I don't see how, since "nihilism" is a borrowed word and is essentially the same in most languages except the more exotic ones (Chinese etc.). It has mostly to do w/ philosophy and nothing with language.

"Cry" can also refer to yelling or shouting, I think?

Which makes the title even more silly? Don't know, maybe it's just me but the image of a nihilist doesn't really fit in at all with any meaning of the word "cry". I tend to think of nihilists as more composed, thoughtful people, and certainly not someone CoB would sing about crying/shouting, lol.

Which makes the title even more silly? Don't know, maybe it's just me but the image of a nihilist doesn't really fit in at all with any meaning of the word "cry". I tend to think of nihilists as more composed, thoughtful people, and certainly not someone CoB would sing about crying/shouting, lol.

But then again, how often do CoB lyrics make sense or be "intelligent"?

Christ, let the man have his song titles, it's like everytime he announces a song title it's thrown to sharks who are pros in philosophy and grammatics. :) Cry of the Nihilist could well just mean someone whining and stressing about others wanting to party and drink; there's not necessarily a deep meaning.. but sometimes Alexi's titles have both a corny reference to everyday issues and also a deeper meaning, depending on the situation.

I don't know how we'd ever keep ourselves entertained if we couldn't speculate about every little album detail. :lol:

New interview interesting bits:

Alexi says the album is better than AYDY and Blooddrunk.

It seems the people who listened to the album see it as 'commercial', 'mainstream'... I don't want to get scared just yet, let's wait and see.

Alexi: "We have nothing against selling albums."
Some people will translate that as YES, we sold out purposefully...

Alexi says you're stupid if you think "making metal music 'bigger'" is wrong. I will say no comment at this point.

Was It Worth It? is said to be the most commercial track on the album. That I am 'happy' to hear, because it did sound the most commercial Bodom ever on the trailer. We don't want easy accessability to the metal that's obvious.

I realize sometimes easily accessible (plain good sounding) music is confused as commercial which is not necessarily the right term always.

Why can't anyone ask about the music with some depth. Something like: "Describe how the spirit of the music has changed in comparison to the older albums, what elements are different, what kind of vibes the new songs have, is there any mythology left in Bodom like in the older albums or have all the titles just become symbolic?"...

I actually have no problem with symbolic titles such as Hellhounds On My Trail, because you can relate it to whatever you feel.

I am encouraged by discovering they use keyboard choirs in WIWI. Maybe Roundtrip to Hell and Back is the new slow song and they use some haunting choirs on it. :headbang: So far it seems they didn't bury one of their best elements for this album: the keyboard backgrounds.

crying and nihilism is'nt compatible.. but look from other perspective that's the beauty of the song title... Nihilist who doesn't belive in anything and dont see any point in anything is just crying that life is worthless shit :D Just my thoughts :Smug:

Wikipedia said:
The term nihilism is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence that one may develop upon realizing there are no necessary norms, rules, or law
The word "Cry" is justified so drop this ridiculous fucking topic :lol:

Nihilist who doesn't belive in anything and dont see any point in anything is just crying that life is worthless shit :D Just my thoughts :Smug:
This is what i guess he means, +1 gold star for you

About the new interview, as soon as I listened to it I knew it was going to trigger a shitfest, but I actually think Alexi is kind of right, because I don't think he means they've made the album thinking on the sales, but on the fact that there's nothing wrong about becoming bigger. I seriously doubt Aklexi'd have made any concessions to "what would they like to hear?" while writing RRF.

Christ, let the man have his song titles, it's like everytime he announces a song title it's thrown to sharks who are pros in philosophy and grammatics. :) Cry of the Nihilist could well just mean someone whining and stressing about others wanting to party and drink; there's not necessarily a deep meaning.. but sometimes Alexi's titles have both a corny reference to everyday issues and also a deeper meaning, depending on the situation.

This I will agree with you.

I agree partly, but this is a discussion forum. Speculation, conversing etc. is the whole point of this place. Of course there's a difference between discussing a possible meaning of a song, and bashing the whole album just because of lame titles, but discussion is still the point.

Wouldn't it be quite boring, if everyone would just say "Yeah, cool." to all the news?

What I've seen is bands often start off being very original, partly because they're still inexperienced. Then they peak, making music that's nicely original and nicely experienced. Then they become more "mainstream". COB peaked around HCDR if you think it this way and I think majority would agree, that was the transition period for them.

I just listened to a Something Wild track and after that the WIWI trailer. The way the stuff in WIWI sound million times easier to digest is staggering. The keyboard choir kind of is the high point about the whole thing to me. Sounds like a bunch of guys having fun playing music, but absolutely nothing to do with death metal. WIWI sounds ultra modern compared to the original sounding SW. Two different bands.

And the thing that causes controversy in the fan zine is people start off unable to digest extreme music but when they develop and understand more it's frustrating when the band goes "backwards".

I'm sure WIWI will be a catchy track and a cool vid but Shovel KO turns me on more so far. Maybe WIWI is a one off like say The Philosopher in Death's album Individual Thought Patterns. A more easier catchy song for video to get wider attention.

I think need not to be worried, this album only needs to be a great addition to COB, it's not the only band in the world so it doesn't need to include every element you ever loved about metal - or even about COB. If it really is "better than the last two albums" it possibly also means COB thinks the way most fans do about the discography hierarchy.

Actually I only think that they might consider Blooddrunk a bit different. They gathered quite a lot of new fans with that album though, so they are not complaining.
For me personally, as long as they play 1 or 2 songs from Blooddrunk on the tour, I'm really happy. But more then that isn't necessary.

as long as they play 1 or 2 songs from Blooddrunk on the tour, I'm really happy. But more then that isn't necessary.

From now on a COB gig of 16 songs would consist of something like this number of tracks:

SW - 1
HB - 3
FTR - 3
HCDR - 2
AYDY - 1
BD - 2
RRF - 4

This should actually be in the Ugly Tour thread since it's about dream setlists, but if they have play a song from SW, how about In the Shadows? Or The Nail? Just for the fans. One tour only.

And Hatebreeder in it's entirety..

This should actually be in the Ugly Tour thread since it's about dream setlists, but if they have play a song from SW, how about In the Shadows? Or The Nail? Just for the fans. One tour only.
We all know that the song would be Lake Bodom. I'm sure we all would like to hear few songs live from SW but it's never gonna happen. If they played some other song from SW, I'm sure it would be Deadnight Warrior.