Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

uhh..... what? For examples of effective use of vocals just listen to like sixpounder chorus or something. I like the vocals on this song, though relax. It's just that vocals are another instrument and it's better if you make more use of it, and I'm pretty sure the other songs will have more dynamic vocals

Well we have to remember that this is a radio rip, with flat dynamics and mono sound (youtube). It's the crappiest imaginable quality except live. Just see the difference between the released WIWI and the radio rip of WIWI. Huge difference in everything, and especially the vocals.
Yeah Sixpounder and Everytime I Die are probably his best vocal performances of his career.

Yeah youtube sucks. I can't wait for a proper listen of this song. The tone on this album is definitely their best ever. It's got that juicy sounding palm mutes, and the harmonies blend so well. It'll prob sound weird but the fast picking palm muted notes in the chorus is eargasmic to me.

Yeah youtube sucks. I can't wait for a proper listen of this song. The tone on this album is definitely their best ever. It's got that juicy sounding palm mutes, and the harmonies blend so well. It'll prob sound weird but the fast picking palm muted notes in the chorus is eargasmic to me.

Yeah, but if I were to choose, I would still go for the old Jackson sound on the solo's. The combo from j-50bc and je-1000 is beyond epic!

I don't like the way the song ends. It's just like Dark Tranquillity when the song is going and it's all awesome... and then in the middle of a riff they simply crash into a wall and end it...

The song isn't amazing. Maybe listening to it 6 times straight isn't enough and I hope it'll grow on me.

I wonder if we get anything else before the release.

Well we have to remember that this is a radio rip, with flat dynamics and mono sound (youtube). It's the crappiest imaginable quality except live. Just see the difference between the released WIWI and the radio rip of WIWI. Huge difference in everything, and especially the vocals.
Yeah Sixpounder and Everytime I Die are probably his best vocal performances of his career.

Except that radio rip for WIWI was good quality and there wasn't a huge amount of difference with the official WIWI release. Still sounded like shit. The horrible vocal effect was actually more pronounced in the official release.

This one's a diff. story though. The rip isn't quite as great, but does its job, I suppose.

Too sleepy to think straight, but first impression is: Pretty upbeat, a decent song and certainly in a completely different league from WIWI. Nothing groundbreaking, but gets its job done. Some of the riffs sound more like standard melodeath, but pretty much everything else, esp. the solos are signature Bodom style.

So, the album may actually have a few songs worth listening. Question is how many.

Finally: to all complaining about vocals. If anything, they sound more like proper screaming vocals rather than whateverthefuck Alexi usually does. Like he actually put some effort into training for them. Besides, vocals have never been Bodom's strong side anyway, IMO.

NOTE: after 1 listen

I.. don't know what to think about it. I really want to like it and I can see the potential, but for some reason it doesn't have the special feeling to me.
I'm sure it'll get better after more times listening though.

The vocals sound a bit strained. Like he has to do to much effort to produce them. Which corresponds with the SKO interview where Hyde said he could only do these kinds of vocals for 6 minutes. I think he's trying a bit to much.
Riffs: Do I here some WIWI sounds in there? Kinda weird to think about that instead of older songs, but something does remind me of it. At least you know they are of the same album.
Solos: was that really a keyboard solo? Yeah, it was a solo but pretty short and not that amazing as Janne is able to. The guitar solo starts of good (FTR), but I have the feeling that it isn't going full force. There was more potential.
Drumming was really good. The keyboards really added to the rest of the song

All in all this sounds a bit to negative though. It really isn't a bad song. And with all songs it takes time to get used to. Especially with CoB where I'm really used to the old songs and anything different always takes time to get used to.

EDIT: after 5+ listens:
Love the chorus!! That one guitar riff is so cool!
Solo actually fits really well with the song as it isn't the most high speed song they've done
I'm really starting to dig it.

Sounds like a mix of BD and AYDY but with much better tone, more distinct sounds and especially better presence of keys, although they partially feel kind of unfamiliar throughout the verses. Good riffing, transitions, chorus sections and good solos, and really pushing drumming :oops:

Me likes :dopey:

Someone already said that, but it's interesting that one could tell only by the vocals that it must be from the same album like WIWI. I was always one of those who liked the way his vocals changed to BD style for example, but I'm still reluctant here. Maybe they grow on me when listening to a whole album.

[Matt Hyde about WIWI]
05:36
it wasn't a priority when we made the record, but the manager loved it
[FONT=&quot]:erk:
[/FONT]

Well, WIWI was very fuckin boring and simple song that I thought that new Children of Bodom will be lost cause. Happily this new song proves that there is still some hope. It's improved song for many ways when compared to WIWI.

One thing I've learned: every time I hear a new Bodom song, I need to listen it several times before I realize its awesome. That was the thing with WIWI and now with Ugly. First wasn't so convinced but now after I've listened the song through couple of times I'm starting to like it. Probably gonna end loving the whole album after a week its released and I have listened it through several times.

^ Same here, that's pretty much how Bodom worked for me :lol: Took quite a few listens till I could stand it without hating the vocals and actually notice the melodies and structures, and a few more to love it. Each album worked like that. I think one needs the time to let go the comparisons to former work and actually being open and able to get oneself into the new stuff.

Finally: to all complaining about vocals. If anything, they sound more like proper screaming vocals rather than whateverthefuck Alexi usually does. Like he actually put some effort into training for them. Besides, vocals have never been Bodom's strong side anyway, IMO.

I very much agree. I think his vocals have improved with every album's release, despite what I think about the composition. I used to think his vocals were godly, and I still like them, but overall his old vocals are actually pretty weak in comparison to this latest stuff.