Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

The album for me is ok, has some good songs but overall suffers from the same problem as BD, which is a lot of the songs sound the same and don't have a flow to me, feel more like a mash-up of different parts to make a song. And the vocals on some songs :erk:

I only get this feeling for a few songs. Pussyfoot, northpole, and COTN. I feel like the rest of the songs have tremendous flow, and are way way better than BD.

The vocals are pretty standard throughout the entire album, no sixpounder type performances but it's all good

Maybe he doesn't give a fuck if you hate him
i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Well, I think I've listened to the album more than enough (ridiculous amount) for me to rank it.

#1) Tie between HB and FTR
#2) Tie Between HCDR and RRF
#3) AYDY
#4) BD
#5) SW

I tied HCDR and RRF because I feel like each album does particular things better than the other but I feel like they both have the same number of quality songs.

This is the first CoB album I've downloaded and decided not to buy. I'm glad I didn't have high hopes for it.

I think Alexi just proved all the doubters wrong (including me). Overall, I think this album is great. Not My Funeral, Shovel Knockout, and *especially* Roundtrip to Hell and Back are the best songs Alexi has recorded since probably HCDR. Definetely better than all of Blooddrunk and most of AYDY. There are still some tracks on this new album that I probably never will like, but that's okay with me when there is 5~6 songs that I like alot.

In my opinion - really weak album. The songs can't grow on me. I liked only few, but it's not enough for me to purchase it. I liked AYDY 100 times better. RRF sounds too generic and I hear the same keyboard effect 24/7 on all solos. What's up with that? The guitar solos are okay. So yeah, gonna pass on this one.

I think Alexi just proved all the doubters wrong (including me). Overall, I think this album is great. Not My Funeral, Shovel Knockout, and *especially* Roundtrip to Hell and Back are the best songs Alexi has recorded since probably HCDR. Definetely better than all of Blooddrunk and most of AYDY. There are still some tracks on this new album that I probably never will like, but that's okay with me when there is 5~6 songs that I like alot.

Do you really think that (regarding AYDY)? I mean yeh there are some decent songs on here I can see myself liking a lot more after a few more listens. Much better than BD, but ionna man... AYDY had songs that I just INSTANTLY liked. They were catchy, fun and easy to get into. That's what I miss about Bodom most. Prior to BD, I would tell people they were the best band because to me, they were perfect... I loved EVERY COB song (except maybe 1 or 2). After waiting so long to BD and then listening to it, it was kind of a slap in the face to me as a fan. To this day I couldn't name you songs I liked from that album, I really don't remember what any of them sound like save for Banned from Heaven and Smile Pretty.

This is the first CoB album I've downloaded and decided not to buy. I'm glad I didn't have high hopes for it.

+500000000000000
:Smokedev:

I love this album so far, but I think to give a fair review of it that I'd need to listen to it more, so the hype doesn't affect judgement.

Anyone by any chance heard Party All The Time, Im really wanting to hear what this sounds like :headbang:

I hear the same keyboard effect 24/7 on all solos. What's up with that?

Consistency is bad? (the keyb. tone actually not being consistent on the album aside...)

The songs can't grow on me.

I never understood the whole "it will grow on you" business. You either like the song or you don't. It's not gonna "grow on you" unless you initially like it at least a bit.

Anyone by any chance heard Party All The Time, Im really wanting to hear what this sounds like

Probably sounds like the original :rolleyes: The YT uploads seem to be Zune stream rips and not CD rips, so will have to wait till global release to hear it, probably.

I'm not expecting much, kinda getting tired of all the random pop-song covers, was good as a joke at first, but getting old.

Consistency is bad? (the keyb. tone actually not being consistent on the album aside...)

I never understood the whole "it will grow on you" business. You either like the song or you don't. It's not gonna "grow on you" unless you initially like it at least a bit.

Well you know, at start you are like "meh sounds okay I guess", then you listen to the song 2-3 more times and you are able to catch all the little elements and from "meh sounds okay" it goes to "wow sounds really cool". For some songs it didn't work. It just remained at "meh it's okay". Some I didn't even like. I really liked - Ugly, Not My Funeral. My favorites so far. The other two songs that I can say I like are - Shovel Knockout and Cry of the Nihilist, but I really don't know what to think about them (they are not on the same level as the first 2 that I mentioned, in my opinion!).

Do you really think that (regarding AYDY)? I mean yeh there are some decent songs on here I can see myself liking a lot more after a few more listens. Much better than BD, but ionna man... AYDY had songs that I just INSTANTLY liked. They were catchy, fun and easy to get into. That's what I miss about Bodom most. Prior to BD, I would tell people they were the best band because to me, they were perfect... I loved EVERY COB song (except maybe 1 or 2). After waiting so long to BD and then listening to it, it was kind of a slap in the face to me as a fan. To this day I couldn't name you songs I liked from that album, I really don't remember what any of them sound like save for Banned from Heaven and Smile Pretty.

Agreed, and also the fact that their songs were worth listening to again and again, but I haven't even felt like listening to anything off BD in a while and I doubt I'll listen to anything off this album again except maybe for Shovel Knockout, the opener and Ugly. The rest of the album is rubish.

No...it doesn't work like that on guitar or any instrument.

what? doesn't work like what? on guitar or any instrumnent. I don't quite understand the statement you're trying to make.

A hard song to play is a hard song to play.

Just because you think it's hard to play, doesn't mean it is hard to play. If you are a "bad/unskilled" musician, you could think every song is a difficult, or hard song to play. Therefore your opinion that this new albums material is "progressively harder and harder to play" is not even necessarily true. Maybe Alexi thinks thinks this new material is easier to play, comparably to the older material. A level of difficulty is subject to interpretation, and should not be presented as fact.

Been playing guitar for about 15 years now...so I kind of know what a "hard" song is

You really only know what is hard for you to play. Besides, playing for "x" amount of years doesn't make you an expert of any kind. I know people who have been playing for 25 years and still have trouble playing a 12 bar blues progression.

And I never said they were better because they were harder. Did I? NO, I didn't

I never said that you did think that. I was only making the point "Just because songs are hard to play doesn't make them good songs automatically." I think o1-deathbyorder makes a great example of that.

what were you refering to?

Thats the correct response towards me you should of had in the first place when you weren't sure, instead of making false assumptions and trying to troll. It seems like anyone who has a different opinion of how the album was, is instantly demonized as being a "troll", or "just stupid ". I didn't join the COB discussion forum to sit around mindlessly agreeing with you.

What I was talking about is, the new album is seemingly lazier compared to the older albums. It just doesn't seem to be as well thought out as the older albums are. I find that to be the general consensus among the people I have talked to. The older songs just seem to be better thought out and composed. I think another misinterpretation most of you are making is: you think just because I don't find the new album as good as the older albums, you think I somehow dislike it. That is simply untrue. The new album is a good album. I just expected differently and was disappointed for doing so. Thats all

Maybe I digest music faster than average, but I cannot for the life of me understand how half of these songs are hard to get into. NMF, Shovel, Roundtrip, Reckless are all songs you only need to listen to once to immediately memorize the melodies and a lot of riffs. I'm not trying to be mean, I genuinely don't understand how people aren't getting into these songs. Admittedly, there's a lot going on in these songs (a lot of awesomeness) that will definitely take many listens to completely digest but it shouldn't take more than one listen to be hooked.

What I was talking about is, the new album is seemingly lazier compared to the older albums. It just doesn't seem to be as well thought out as the older albums are. I find that to be the general consensus among the people I have talked to. The older songs just seem to be better thought out and composed.

I agree with this statement but only for the weaker songs, which has been the case for EVERY cob album. The songs are of a different style, but the good ones are really well composed. All of the elements that make great COB songs still exist in a technical, trashy, and awesome way.

I really am convinced that the majority of people have problems with the album due to preconceived notions and certain expectations. Oh well, that's what happens with new music. I'll give it time.

Well you know, at start you are like "meh sounds okay I guess", then you listen to the song 2-3 more times and you are able to catch all the little elements and from "meh sounds okay" it goes to "wow sounds really cool". For some songs it didn't work. It just remained at "meh it's okay". Some I didn't even like. I really liked - Ugly, Not My Funeral. My favorites so far. The other two songs that I can say I like are - Shovel Knockout and Cry of the Nihilist, but I really don't know what to think about them (they are not on the same level as the first 2 that I mentioned, in my opinion!).

Agreed, two best songs on the album, hands down. SKO and COTN are OK except for the really lame intro+verse.