Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

What the fuck, she can't even use fucking chopsticks. What an useless annoying waste of this earth. iPot, you're a disgrace to mankind. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the solos in this record are mixed somehow different in balance with other instruments... maybe because they're not so ultimately on top when played live as they are on previous records. I think they're a little more quiet here? (Could Tie My Rope have possibly the highest mixed COB guitar solo?) I just listened to every guitar solo on this album and I think the SKO solo sequence stands above others because there's a catchy rhythm backing it up (even tho that may not be the best solo) while many songs focus on that technical solo and there's nothing interesting going on behind it. Like that TMR solo, it sounds double as good when there's a very interesting riff or whatever behind it. It's really important, otherwise people like me come shouting "the solos as not as good." It's many things that make the solo sound good, the technicality, the melody, how it fuses in the song, and how the backing rhythm/keys/drums backing the solo sound like and how they rhyme with the solo. Sounds like Alexi's really trying to take his soloing a step up in technique with this album but I find the keyboard solos having some more feel to them.

I just listened to every guitar solo on this album and I think the SKO solo sequence stands above others because there's a catchy rhythm backing it up (even tho that may not be the best solo) while many songs focus on that technical solo and there's nothing interesting going on behind it. Like that TMR solo, it sounds double as good when there's a very interesting riff or whatever behind it. It's really important, otherwise people like me come shouting "the solos as not as good." It's many things that make the solo sound good, the technicality, the melody, how it fuses in the song, and how the backing rhythm/keys/drums backing the solo sound like and how they rhyme with the solo. Sounds like Alexi's really trying to take his soloing a step up in technique with this album but I find the keyboard solos having some more feel to them.

I absolutely agree with everything you said here. A good solo, in my opinion, is one that follows the background riffs a little, not just stock Em pentatonic licks over a generic riff. I don't really think Alexi's solo are getting harder though, actually quite opposite. He is stuck playing the same pentatonic scales and major/minor arpeggios with tapping. Nothing really new or harder.

I agree. I don't think the solos are getting any harder, but the riffs are deff. more complex than they used to be. At least I think so.

Hmm.....Alexi has said this in an interview about Alexander

"Then Alexander (Kuoppola), he was a major part of the band. He just decided to bail out. Then Roope just called me up and said, “Do you want to play?” He wanted to know if he should starting learning our songs. We had all these f-cking gigs and this f-cking asshole just bailed out on my ass. So I was like, “Yeah.” He learned 17 songs in two days."

He was a mojor part of the band.....to me that means he was more than just the other guitarist who played in the band.

You don't need to write to be a huge part. Alexi said he was his best friend, that I think accounts for "a big part". Only things he ever wrote was the solo to Red Light In My Eyes Pt.1, a bit of BOR and a bit of LBRH. And no, Roope doesn't write, he has indeed written his own solos (BFH, NMF and WIWI, and he may have had another on BD, but don't remember), and sure helps Alexi arrange the wirtten pieces (with harmonies and all that stuff), but hasn't written any song himself or any major thing, otherwise they would've said it and given him credit. Plus once again, the assumption that from having played in Stone is Roope who has brought the thrash thing, bear in mind Sinergy and you'll remember that he's perfectly capable of writing non-thrasy stuff.

I think he could play the solos, but leads that are played while he is doing vox, should be played by Roope. Well but yeah, compare Alexi to James Malone. James nails the guitar leads and Vox perfectly.

Actually Roope does play most of the melodies that go underneath vocals, e.g. SNBN, Downfall, AYDY, IYF... Alexi does some (off the top of my head KTS, HCD, SK) but iirc Roope plays most of them. Although I'd have to check it out. Anybody who can confirm this?

No I have not, a solo has nothing to do with writing the song itself. Yes, it's part of the song and it can help make a song better/worse, but writing a solo is NOT writing a song. The solos come in and are written once the song is done.

^You're right a solo's not necessarily composition-wise related to the song at all, but don't you think a solo with a certain mood fits a certain song? For example the solo of Follow the Reaper, Banned From Heaven, Punch Me I Bleed yada yada, they feel "part of the plot".

No I have not, a solo has nothing to do with writing the song itself. Yes, it's part of the song and it can help make a song better/worse, but writing a solo is NOT writing a song. The solos come in and are written once the song is done.

"Roope doesn't write".....which is present tense

"he has indeed written"...which is past tense of write

So yes, you did in deed contradict yourself

Someone has to write the solo to play it...it didn't just write itself, so if Roope wrote the solo he did indeed write part of that song, reguardless if the solo was originally intended for that song or not.

454613.jpg

"Roope doesn't write".....which is present tense

"he has indeed written"...which is past tense of write

So yes, you did in deed contradict yourself

Someone has to write the solo to play it...it didn't just write itself, so if Roope wrote the solo he did indeed write part of that song, reguardless if the solo was originally intended for that song or not.

454613.jpg

Yes you're taking crazy pills.

because you don't seem to understand that a solo has nothing to do with writing a song... or a riff.. or anything.

just because roope playes a solo doesn't meen he wrote the riff behind it.

Roope played the solo on the song twilight of the thunder gods with amon amarth.... it doesn't mean he helped writing the song.

And often you don't write a solo or compose it, you improvise it. I don't know if that what Roope does but it do sound like that sometimes.