Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

Im so glad to hear that lots of you guys love/like the new album too. It does take some time to get used to, like all new albums do. I think Jaska's drumming on this one is a bit easier for me to follow, allthough he has these crazy double bass sections I just love ! Btw, I think his double bass'es sounds more firm on this album - could it be coz now he uses two seperate instead of a double pedal? :headbang:

Shame that I voice aloud what so many think? It's a good COB album but for my taste too little atmosphere overall to be my favourite.

What exactly are you preaching? Most people on this forum, and more importantly most people outside of this forum love the album. It seems to me that you dislike it a lot, mostly because it does not sound like follow the reaper, but from what I've gathered most people just love it for what it is without obnoxious comparisons.

Im so glad to hear that lots of you guys love/like the new album too. It does take some time to get used to, like all new albums do.
Fully agree with you there, although I liked it from the beginning, but it still kept growing, the more I listened to it. A few weeks ago I disagreed with Jose when he said he likes it more than HCDR, but meanwhile I totally agree with him, it IS better. Still doesn't beat FTR or HB, but then RRF makes a really good third [inb4 "it's only your opinion" - yeah I know folks, calm down again].

Regarding the atmosphere/feeling topic, Joonas, I don't think RRF lacks one or the other. I agree that it's totally different from what I feel when listening to FTR, yes. But RRF does also create a certain atmosphere, by sound & tone both by guitars and keys, songs' structures, riffs, even drumming is kinda special. But the feeling you get is meant to be different - and don't you think it's kinda natural that different people feel differently approached by different things? Maybe FTR had the exact vibe that rings your very own special bell, whereas the thrashier albums naturally aren't able to have the same effect on you again, but can do for others?

.........., but from what I've gathered most people just love it for what it is without obnoxious comparisons.

Beautifully said. Take it for what it is and enjoy it and have fun with it. And theres nothing to compare really. Each album has its own, and this one has what this one has from where the guys are now. Some one earlier said something brilliant about the guys extending their playing style and trying out ideas, and basically if they are having fun, its gonna be good. And to me this album sure fcking sounds like they are having a whole lotta fun !
Actually, If u really wanna compare now from then; now (RRF, BD,AYDY) is more relaxed and easy going than then where the "fun" were more in the background than now. Ahh did that make sense?...:loco:

What exactly are you preaching? Most people on this forum, and more importantly most people outside of this forum love the album.

Like these guys? :p They clearly have an opinion.

I find these reviews pretty damn entertaining cos of the spicy sarcasm.

Maybe FTR had the exact vibe that rings your very own special bell, whereas the thrashier albums naturally aren't able to have the same effect on you again, but can do for others?

I admit I have personal memories and emotions associated with FTR in particular which makes it feel the most special album for me, but still I feel it's got overall most atmosphere too. In my mind thrash is basically the opposite of atmosphere. But I do think RRF has a lot of awesome material but also a weak side as stated above.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I am not even going to bother listening to the second guy after going through the first vid. His "criticism" suggests that a) he hasn't listened to the album not even once, b) that he hates everything that doesn't smell HB/FTR and c) that he is completely deaf. The part on the solos and on Alexi's vocals being out of place just reassured me of that. All that guy needs is a brand new pair of ears.

FTR solos have a nice mixture of feeling and technicality, whereas RRF solos are 90% about technicality and kinda lack in feeling. Can't remember them.

Are you seriously telling me that to you NMF or SKO's solos aren't as catchy as any on FTR?

Well, it's easier to remember solos that you've heard a thousand times. Give it some time.

Also this.

Are you seriously telling me that to you NMF or SKO's solos aren't as catchy as any on FTR?

The thing is it's not just the actual solo, it's what's around it. The old COB had solos integrated more naturally into the songs, on the new Bodom they're more separated into a section of their own, like they could almost change the places of different solos on different songs, to the ear of the listener. Of course you can take the best song off RRF and compare it to the worst song on an old COB album and make me seem like I have no point. This kind of pointless arguing in uninteresting. I'd just say a "show-off" solo (on Alexi's terms) like on Hatebreeder would please most listeners more than an extremely technical but boring solo. Is it right to always push the boundaries of your technical skills, couldn't that also be labeled show-off? And that's not just the solo but the entire music.

Of course in theory you could say COB would in fact sell out if they made another HB/FTR, as they would make something that's below their skills just cos most people want it... but nobody's asking them to get inexperienced again. Alexi has got better from his downers and doesn't dwell in the pits of his mind like in past years, and that is reflected in the new music. I know I look like an old school COB freak and a new COB hater but that's not the case, there's a lot of stuff on RRF that I love and is better than some stuff on the old ones. How can one expect another to make an album that's exactly what he likes? These days I've listened mostly to Cradle Of Filth's album Dusk and Her Embrace cos it has depth. On moments when I wanna hear more superficial heavy metal with catchy melodies I listen to RRF for example.

And this discussion was about atmosphere in music. Maybe I was wrong saying the actual solos on RRF from composing aspect are more boring, it's probably the sound world and how the solos do or do not feel part of the song itself.
FTR is still best tho.

The solos in the new album really feel like they've been putd there just for the sake of it. We can talk about FTR whole day long and so on, it's getting old, but we have to remember what the band used to be like and what it turned to nowdays. I'm not surprised tho, cause most of the bands go through the same road. The tracks in the old albums used to have this epic feeling in them, there was atmosphere. It's not about making another FTR album, that would be stupid, it's about putting some more emotion/feeling in the new stuff. RRF is more of a technical album, than an album full of epicness. I don't know what was driving Alexi back in the days to create all those songs, but it seems the magic is gone. Hell, for me AYDY was really epic album even tho most of the people hated it and I can clearly say that BD or RRF can't get close to it, because it has more feeling to it (but that's just my opinion so... :) ).

I'll let you all in on a little secret about all the "epicness" that is lacking now. IMO the "epicness" left when Alexander left the band...simple as that. Not that Roope is bad, as I love the post Alexander material better than the pre Alexander material, but once Roope joined they started heading in the thrash direction. Is that because of Rooope? Who knows, as everyone says Alexi writes all the material.I just feel that what a lot of people are wanting from Bodom will never be heard again, and that is due in part to the line up change. I wonder what would happen with Bodom if say Janne left the band for good and they got a replacement keytarist?

You think it would be the end if Alexi really is the key song writter for the band? Most would have thought CoB would have ended when Alexander quit the band.

I don't want any of the guys to leave the band, but I do think Alexander leaving is why we have seen the big change in sound from Bodom....since the change really only seemed to take place once he left.

No no. Ale was still in when they made Hate Crew Deathroll. Why can't people remember this? He was there just to play the necessary rhythm, it's funny how people overvalue his input to the band as they see it the only fundamental change in the band during those times. I do think these days Alexi writes more complex rhythm parts tho because he's not limited by Ale's skills and maybe it's a little different. It's all in Alexi's head.

All the change that occurred in Ale leaving and Roope coming in is comparable in the transition from HCDR to Trashed, Lost & Strungout, NOT the transition from FTR to HCDR. In other words, old Bodom vs new Bodom is not because of Ale. Ale left them in the middle of the HCDR world tour, and when Roope joined in they started writing T,L&S. Too bad for Ale tho, he left just when COB were becoming really big.

So in other words don't blame mister Kekkonen for the change of Bodom's sound.

How on earth is a world class metal band supposed to end when a rhythm guitarist gets tired of the metal scene and goes home? Alexi's the only member who can't be replaced. But if I ever had a chance to interview them I'd get to the bottom of this whole change thing in general.

IDK...in my ears there is a big difference from HCDR to AYDY...and I feel it was because of Roope joining the band.....but I think it was for the better.

To me Old bodom is SW-HCDR, new bodom is AYDY-RRF

I mean if I could see 1 factor as to why the sound has changed it would be because of the change of line up.

Even if Alexander didn't, and Roope doesn't write much material, the loss of "epicness" still might have something to do with the change of guitarist. Old COB songs had very simple rhythm guitars and IMO, simplicity makes the stuff a lot more interesting, atmospheric and epic than constant riffing-storm. Since Roope is so talented guitarist, maybe Alexi feels he has to make all the riffs complex so Roope's talent wouldn't be "wasted".

To me Old bodom is SW-HCDR, new bodom is AYDY-RRF

I mean if I could see 1 factor as to why the sound has changed it would be because of the change of line up.

It's difficult to say composition wise why HCDR would belong in the old or the new Bodom category, but the way I see it is it just sounds very thrash ridden. Only on... 2 occasions can I see the trees and stuff when listening to that album, on songs 4 and 8. That's what atmosphere is for me. Some songs on HCDR have more melody than some songs on FTR, but still feel more thrashy.

What is frightening is COB wasn't exactly sure after recording FTR if that was what they wanted it to sound like. Maybe they intended it to be a thrashier sounding album too, but it happened to sound more natural with the blue sound. Hate Me single was considerably thrashier sounding in the first place. I always found FTR and Hypocrisy's Arrival album to sound kinda similar, both even with a blue cover art, same studio, around same time, but as far as I know Peter only gave COB keys to the Abyss studio pretty much and wasn't really involved with the process, except for the first mix. Some things I'd also like to have more insight from the band, probably they don't care anymore tho.

To me, SW-AYDY is actually one chunk.
This is probably because when I got into Bodom, I heared random songs from all these albums and not 1 album per se. And since I wasn't as much into music as I am now (even though I still lack knowledge) it all felt as it could be made around the same time.
Obviously now I notice lots of differences, but nostalgia made me think this way. And I don't mind.

Even if Alexander didn't, and Roope doesn't write much material, the loss of "epicness" still might have something to do with the change of guitarist. Old COB songs had very simple rhythm guitars and IMO, simplicity makes the stuff a lot more interesting, atmospheric and epic than constant riffing-storm. Since Roope is so talented guitarist, maybe Alexi feels he has to make all the riffs complex so Roope's talent wouldn't be "wasted".
Interesting point. If I remember right, Alexi once stated in an interview that his writing indeed differs from earlier stuff since Roope has joined. I wouldn't have drawn a correlation between this and the "feeling" of the songs myself, but I can't either deny that it can be one of the reasons for the different vibes. More sophisticated and technically evolved songs are kind of a natural progression of a composer who wants to develop, but on the other hand they may bear the risk of being less "accessible", which may also affect one's feeling towards the songs.

The thing is it's not just the actual solo, it's what's around it. The old COB had solos integrated more naturally into the songs, on the new Bodom they're more separated into a section of their own, like they could almost change the places of different solos on different songs, to the ear of the listener. Of course you can take the best song off RRF and compare it to the worst song on an old COB album and make me seem like I have no point. This kind of pointless arguing in uninteresting. I'd just say a "show-off" solo (on Alexi's terms) like on Hatebreeder would please most listeners more than an extremely technical but boring solo. Is it right to always push the boundaries of your technical skills, couldn't that also be labeled show-off? And that's not just the solo but the entire music.

Of course in theory you could say COB would in fact sell out if they made another HB/FTR, as they would make something that's below their skills just cos most people want it... but nobody's asking them to get inexperienced again. Alexi has got better from his downers and doesn't dwell in the pits of his mind like in past years, and that is reflected in the new music. I know I look like an old school COB freak and a new COB hater but that's not the case, there's a lot of stuff on RRF that I love and is better than some stuff on the old ones. How can one expect another to make an album that's exactly what he likes? These days I've listened mostly to Cradle Of Filth's album Dusk and Her Embrace cos it has depth. On moments when I wanna hear more superficial heavy metal with catchy melodies I listen to RRF for example.

And this discussion was about atmosphere in music. Maybe I was wrong saying the actual solos on RRF from composing aspect are more boring, it's probably the sound world and how the solos do or do not feel part of the song itself.
FTR is still best tho.

I am not taking the worst song of the old material and putting it against the best from RRF, I'm comparing in general. You get in a good direction with the "well they can't make the perfect album for everybody line", but I still can't think why you feel it lacks so much atmosphere, I mean, sure, it's not as full as the first 3 ones, but it definitely has A LOT more keys and atmosphere and I honestly think the songs work as songs much better than before. What you say about being able to take chunks of songs and placing them somewhere else I used to feel like that about HB and FTR, but to me this time around the songs feel much more together. Dunno, each to their own I guess.

The solos in the new album really feel like they've been putd there just for the sake of it. We can talk about FTR whole day long and so on, it's getting old, but we have to remember what the band used to be like and what it turned to nowdays. I'm not surprised tho, cause most of the bands go through the same road. The tracks in the old albums used to have this epic feeling in them, there was atmosphere. It's not about making another FTR album, that would be stupid, it's about putting some more emotion/feeling in the new stuff. RRF is more of a technical album, than an album full of epicness. I don't know what was driving Alexi back in the days to create all those songs, but it seems the magic is gone. Hell, for me AYDY was really epic album even tho most of the people hated it and I can clearly say that BD or RRF can't get close to it, because it has more feeling to it (but that's just my opinion so... :) ).

If you're serious about that then I must conclude that you've not given even 1 spin to the album.

I'll let you all in on a little secret about all the "epicness" that is lacking now. IMO the "epicness" left when Alexander left the band...simple as that. Not that Roope is bad, as I love the post Alexander material better than the pre Alexander material, but once Roope joined they started heading in the thrash direction. Is that because of Rooope? Who knows, as everyone says Alexi writes all the material.I just feel that what a lot of people are wanting from Bodom will never be heard again, and that is due in part to the line up change. I wonder what would happen with Bodom if say Janne left the band for good and they got a replacement keytarist?

No, no and again fucking no! Stop looking for retarded reasons! Ale had nothing to do with the sound at all. Janne does tho, and if Janne left, unlike with Ale, the band would be over. If you wanna argue intelligently do so, but stop saying that the band has changed because Ale left or because Alexi stopped dying his hair or because Janne doesn't have short hair anymore or crap of that sort please, it's very annoying.

See? This I can discuss. I don't agree about the Alexander effect but your point is indeed one to be considered. Although, even though thinking that Roope's abilities free up Alexi to give him anything to play (like he has said in some interviews), you have to take into account also that they played together in Sinergy too and that was not at all like new Bodom. So I guess the only reason is just that Alexi got kind of tired of the power metal side of it and started becoming fond of thrash metal and bang, new Bodom. I mean, if you look at it the rest is there: the solos, the keys, the somehow death/bm-ish styile and touches is still there, but before all that used to be paired up with power metal and a bit harsher (read, at least to me, less worked on) vocals and now is paired with thrash and what may be a bit softer vocals but I think more focused and more musically fitting. I don't know, your point is indeed good and the increase of the abilities of the rythm guitar player sure must have had some effect, but I hardly doubt it has had anything to do in the change of style itself, and I think the Sinergy analogy and the fact that that band is not together anymore nor does Alexi show much interest in it (yes, there's also the Kim side of it and all, but I think it's also because Alexi got tired of that style) kind of shows it.