Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

I understand what Joonas mean. Now i can agree too that album is something missing. It's good, definitely. But all of a sudden i don't have the passion,willing to listen to it anymore. I Think I have exhausted the album. After these years FTR, is still in my player and listening to it every year, i guess becouse of the atmosphere.

The point is you should stop expecting something like HB or FtR from the band.

This is really the bottom line. Nobody here is going to admit it but people can't seem to accept the fact that the new album is a different COB all together.

I'm just saying they had something back then that made them big in the first place and they don't want that anymore which is weird.

Didn't COB get huge after are you dead yet and blooddrunk? I don't think COB ever played mainstage wacken before that

Everyone I've talked with about COB say "I miss the old feeling."

That's exactly the same as saying I want new COB to be old COB. The new COB has a different feeling, it makes me headbang all song long. And at the same time there are still a lot of parts that give make me high on the music. The point is that it's different, and you can't accept it to be good or bad if you're STILL fucking wanting it to be the old feeling.

I am probably on my 30th listen or so of the album, and I love it. Ever since the yay in Shovel Knockout was pointed out, I can't help but notice a few more yays through out the album. The album should have been titled Yay :D

I know where u come from Joonas, and I felt the same way when the samples popped up from here and there before the album release. I was thinking omg wtf is this now they're doing !!??....Its not the COB I was used to from when I learned to know them - HCDR, but then again, COB from the older days have evolved since I would say "Are u dead yet" "Are u dead yet" was I think a massive step towards a new direction the guys wanted to do and wanted to try out, and continued to BD being more hardcore than earlier, and now RRF getting back to melodies and still being hardcore on a BD level and even more. I must say say, Ive been hearing RRF since I got it the 5th of March, almost a month now 24/7, and I like it more and more. I do think theres a touch of the "old" in there still, and I love to hear the guys having fun ! That I think is the biggest thing about the album, and I do think it shows :kickass:

it's recognizeable they write more technically advanced stuff now but to the ear of the listener it's not as epic.

As it is, this is just your personal opinion and the point where I'd disagree.
Just like you said it depends on the ear of the listener, and as matter of fact one can speak only for themselves.

I never really liked the 'flair' of the old albums. I really like the melodies though, but the riffs on the old albums (something wild, hatebreeder) are rather weak to me, if you compare it to RFF for instance.
My favourite album was and still is HCDR, because on this album the combined really nice melodies like the chorus of BBT, needled intro or the part after alexi solo in chokehold and on the other side awesome riffs like the prelude to BBT solo. However, RFF comes very close to HCDR in my opinion. There is just so much stuff going on in ervery song...in the chorus, the verse, right from the beginning. It packed with so many little details which I just miss on old albums. And I think this is due to the fact that every one in this band simply evolved as a musician until to day. They way Jaska plays for instance. On old albums his playing was rather undiversified, on RRF he adds lots of little changes and things all the time which makes it all in all more interesting to listen to.
Don't get me wrong on the first albums though. I think there really are some good songs especially on FTR, although I think I like different songs from this album compared to you "old school bodom" guys. For instance Bodom after Midnight is on of my favourites.

I do understand how and why people like the old albums, but this ongoing discussion between old and new bodom is just nonessential. :D
There are simply two different types of music. And as a matter of fact alexi focuses a lot on technical riffs and leads today.
I dont think this will change in the future because playing those old songs, for example bed of razors, are playing wise less interesting to play than the new ones. So there is basically no appeal for the band to write such music because today they can write and play more complex and technically challenging! They are probably not really doing that on purpose, but thats just how it is because as a musician you always want to create something better than before which almost has to lead to what I just described :lol:

The change that occurred between Follow the Reaper and Hate Crew Deathroll was even more considerable then the change from Inearthed to Children Of Bodom.

I'm curious as to why you say that. To me, the change between Inearthed and Hatebreeder was huge. In my ear, they don't even sound like the same band. From Inearthed to Something Wild, there's still elements there, but again, it doesn't sound that similar to me. But admittedly I don't know anything about the technical side of music, I can just go by the overall impression.

I'm one of those people who greatly prefers earlier Bodom (up to and including Hate Crew Deathroll). I still don't mind the more recent stuff. I think Blooddrunk is their worst album, no matter what people say about Something Wild.

As for Relentless Reckless Forever, I think it's a good improvement over Blooddrunk. Overall it's a pretty solid album, and I can hear elements of the old Bodom that I like in some of the songs.

I guess that's the end of my pointless opinion. :tickled:

I'm one of those people who greatly prefers earlier Bodom (up to and including Hate Crew Deathroll). I still don't mind the more recent stuff. I think Blooddrunk is their worst album, no matter what people say about Something Wild.

As for Relentless Reckless Forever, I think it's a good improvement over Blooddrunk. Overall it's a pretty solid album, and I can hear elements of the old Bodom that I like in some of the songs.

i agree. i,for one, like old bodom and that includes everything untill blooddrunk, nomatter what what others say about one album or another. i haven't listen to all the tracks on rrf yet [i told myself i will after i buy the cd, and that i'll buy the cd @ the gig on the 20th], but still i already like it more than bd.

Hey everyone!

What's the thing about the "technicality" of the new songs? They don't sound any more technical or hard than the old ones! Also the few songs I know the tabs to from Bodom (BD, DWEDFN, verse of Hellhounds) don't seem too technical.

On RRF there's Ugly's verse which is 3/4 and COTN which totally random, but otherwise is there any thing technical? String-skipping etc?

Hey everyone!

What's the thing about the "technicality" of the new songs? They don't sound any more technical or hard than the old ones! Also the few songs I know the tabs to from Bodom (BD, DWEDFN, verse of Hellhounds) don't seem too technical.

On RRF there's Ugly's verse which is 3/4 and COTN which totally random, but otherwise is there any thing technical? String-skipping etc?

I dont know what instrument you are playing, but as a guitar player I find the older songs much easier to play than for instance SKO, NMF, or Lobodomy...

It's just the notes in general that are technical. The fingerings for a lot of these songs are really weird. The lead part in the verse of ugly is actually sort of ridiculous to get clean. The little hook in NMF is sort of annoying sometimes, too .. I see a lot of people screwing that up just because you need to stretch a little bit. : )

"It doesn't have the feeling" the fuck of it all. I seriously don't know what you guys are on to always keep finding twisted ways to idolize HB and FTR. Yes, they were two beasts of albums, but so are HCD and RRF. AYDY is indeed somehow under that and BD too, but HCD and RRF are by no means less than those two no matter how much you want to look at them as something godlike. Try, oh please do try so I can have some good fun, to explain that mystic and inexplicable and godly feeling that is missing so us non understanding folks can get to your level of wisdom.

Until you guys figure out a way, I'm going to go enjoy the hell of an album that RRF is, including NT which is as good as a closer as they come. Don't know about you people, but whilst I love KTS, that doesn't keep me from seeing that it's not more than a good riff and a clusterfuck of solos (2 minutes!) because the album was too short and they had to lenghten it quickly in the studio. Of course they did a great job and I am very happy they felt the album was short and blessed us with that, but that doesn't magically alter reality.

Hey everyone!

Hmmm don't know if you've given them a go but RRF is by far the most challenging COB album to play. Don't know about drums or keys, but guitarwise no other album is trickier.

FTR solos have a nice mixture of feeling and technicality, whereas RRF solos are 90% about technicality and kinda lack in feeling. Can't remember them.

Bullshit. You remember them, you can admit that at least. The entire NMF solo section including the pre-solo is easily remembered. So is SKO solo section. I would say RTHAB is also. Ugly solo EASILY remembered, so is cry of the nihilist guitar/keyboard section. Anyone who says they don't remember the WIWI solos note by note is lying hard.

The solo section on RRF is fucking INCREDIBLE. It takes a few listens to remember completely (one listen and you'll remember a good bit of it), but so are a lot of the ftr solos. RRF solo section is the greatest of the album imo, and some of COB's best work.

Dude, this album has great solos across the board and they're ALL easily remembered..... what the fuck? Your trying too hard to shun this album away, and it's a shame man.. really.

Actually, trying to remember the guitar solo from Not My Funeral. I can't remember it, even though it's a really cool one.

The only solo I can easily remember off RRF is Janne's solo on Shovel Knockout.

Every other solo is good and all that, but...