Relentless Reckless Forever (Out March 8th, 2011)

"'Maybe it's the state of the art equipment at Metropolis Studios. Maybe, it's that thrill of hearing something no one else has yet heard, and only a chosen few will hear before its official release in March. All I know is that, as the notes of 'Not My Funeral' fill the room, you know you are in the presence of something big.

'Relentless Reckless Forever' is announced as 'the album that will break Children Of Bodom into the major league', and indeed it is a great metal album that does not deserve to be confined to the underground scene. Fast, epic, loud yet melodic, less raw than their previous work but not by any mean less genuine, 'Relentless Reckless Forever' presents itself as one of the records to look forward to in 2011.'"

Just when I'd got into raw metal with Cradle Of Filth. Well, let's see what happens.

"Break COB into the major league"... Fuck you! Have I missed something, I've yet to come across a band that's in another league to COB. I hope he/she didn't mean to say 'mainstream.'

Exciting and joyful times. You can already hear the footsteps of the album traveling to knock on your door.

"Break COB into the major league"... Fuck you!
We've been there. And you can't stop it.

But again, everyone,including magazinges, seem really positive about the album. I can't remember what the initial reactions to Blooddrunk where, but this makes me happy.
And fast, epic, loud yet melodic is what Bodom is. That they are less raw isn't too bad. As long as it doesn't mean they polished it to much in the mastering of the album.

Fuck, I was really pumped up but then these commercial and we wanna sell more comments start coming from everywhere. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Joonas, where did you get those quotes from? The Soundi mag?

I'm not beating it down, it sounds nice but not Bodom metal like Shovel Knockout. Should be a good track with the video, but hopefully the other tracks are more in the vein of the other song.

You are actually. You've heard a really short preview of it and you're already saying it's not in place to play with other COB songs. Imagine instead of WIWI you get a Chockehold preview and you're just shown the first 20 seconds (go listen to it and reply afterwards), would you ever get from that that it's a kickass Bodom song?

Same for WIWI, wait to hear the full thing.

Just when I'd got into raw metal with Cradle Of Filth. Well, let's see what happens.

Raw Craddle Of Filth? You're worried about COB becoming big yet you say Craddle Of Filth is raw? COF is the lamest attempt at making a black metal band that sells. There's nothing raw and not carefully studied to sell more about COF.

"All the same, it’s the first time that a Children of Bodom song has had any ‘clean’ singing on."
It sounds like he refers to the cover there, but he is wrong here. (Rebel Yell)
But other than that; goddamnit it sounds like my promise to not listen to the album once it leaks is going down the trashbin.

There are a few things that sound like something I'm not 100% positive about but it just sounds awesome.
More keyboard solos, better vocals..
Must! Listen! Now!

^Was just gonna post that. Yep he's surely talking about the cover song on that.

Also, if somebody that points to HB as his favourite album is deeming RRF as probably their best album ever, I think we're in for a treat. And Joonas, if you read the interview you'll see that he says that WIWI isn't at all that far from their usual sound even if Matt Hyde said it's the most commercial out of the album. Can't wait to listen to it!

^Agree , thought Rebel Yell has sorta clean singing too .
I want so bad hear some song from the album , He said that PussyfootMS is the weakest track in the album..

Also, if somebody that points to HB as his favourite album is deeming RRF as probably their best album ever, I think we're in for a treat.

I thought since the start Shovel Knockout has some vibe of Hatebreeder as it's both brutal and atmospheric, two things that don't go hand in hand with the other albums as much as on Hatebreeder. For example Follow the Reaper is mostly atmospheric and not as brutal as some others, while much of the new stuff is pretty brutal but avid of atmosphere.

One thing that needs to be understood is Alexi probably doesn't see his albums like for example I do, he probably sees the songs technically / guitar theory terms and methods of playing. For example he may think Hatebreeder as a getting there album as much of the playing is technically more simple than some newer material. Many solos even start with the same sweep picking pattern, and he did claim some of that as show off. (Well better that then selling out.)

Interesting review. It appears Not My Funeral will be a strong opener. Then again don't count too much on these reviewers saying Pussyfoot is the worst song and Cry of the Nihilist is maybe the best song, just remember that before Blooddrunk was released some journo claimed Roadkill Morning was the best track on the album, which it obviously isn't.

Can I have the CD now please..?

Janne was saying that in RRF will be their best solos yet made. will see.
Recently i had a dream where i was listening to RRF and it had most EPIC intros ever LOL :D
Yeah i dont want that COB copy their past albums either, but i just want that they leavs in newer albums all the good thing of COB from which they gained popularity and people loved.
And all the greatness hides in simpleness. I just funking love melodies in HB both keyboard and gutiars.
From memory, the track ‘Ugly’ opens with a chuggy Bodom-esque bass gallop that forms the backbone I like this !

I thought since the start Shovel Knockout has some vibe of Hatebreeder as it's both brutal and atmospheric, two things that don't go hand in hand with the other albums as much as on Hatebreeder. For example Follow the Reaper is mostly atmospheric and not as brutal some others, while much of the new stuff is pretty brutal but avid of atmosphere.

One thing that needs to be understood is Alexi probably doesn't see his albums like for example I do, he probably sees the songs technically / guitar theory terms and methods of playing. For example he may think Hatebreeder as a getting there album as much of the playing is technically more simple than some newer material. Many solos even start with the same sweep picking pattern, and he did claim some of that as show off. Well better than then selling out.

Well put sir! This lack of atmosphere makes the album last only for a short while.

Joonas, why are you beating up on WIWI when you've just heard a 20sec preview of which you don't like 8secs? The intro melody is cool, and the second riff sure is heavy, but it still has melody on it, which is something I think people is failing to recognize.

The second riff sounds like a rehash of BD, that's why. The intro riff is great, but you're right it'll all depend on how the rest of the song is as well.

As Arcane said, what's generic and unimaginative about what they're doing? They could've stuck with neoclassical and Yngwie solos and some easy power chord lines for Roppe and some lead/melodic things for Alexi (SNBN, the song everybody loves and seems to deem as true COB, is merely power chords on one side and melodies on the other, does that make it bad?), instead they've gone to trickier riffs, more complex harmonies (sometimes all inside while riffing), some changes in the solos, more keys than just big warm filling sounds in the back... what's unimaginative about that? The easier road would've been to keep re-doing the same old ideas.

Once again, you're taking my argument as "new vs old" when it isn't. Why not allow for a third option?

I don't think what they've gone through after HCDR is evolution, it's devolution. Not all change is good. HCDR was a great album that sounded "heavier" than earlier stuff, and had moved away from classical influences more into blues influences. AYDY and BD simply sound like a more simplified, more "accessible" version thereof. And I'm not really sure where you all are getting the "complex harmonies" thing - I can't say I hear any; sure, the main chords are more embellished and those embellishments are now more often chromatic or pentatonic, but they haven't moved away much from the few basic chord progressions they like to use. If anything, the riffs now dwell more around the same function chords before moving on.

They have moved away from writing melodies and now it's all about riffs. That's what most bands in the genre do, and some do it better than Bodom. And yes, it sounds "mainstream" because everyone else is doing it. But there's hardly anyone better than Bodom at writing melodic lines and complex solos, so why they would choose not to capitalize on that baffles me. It doesn't have to be classical-influenced, but I'd like it if it were. And no, that's not easier. It's difficult to write a classical-inspired piece that sounds good but also new and fresh. If it were easy, everyone would be a Mozart.

Now, I'm not dissing for the sake of dissing. I'm simply seeing CoB go the downhill road many of my favourite bands have gone, and I'm not too happy about that. I'm just hoping that they use the new album to bring themselves out of it.

less raw than their previous work

BD was supposed to be RAW? I must've missed something.

The only exceptional element about Blooddrunk is the keyboard ideas fused into the songs to make them good. If they have done stuff like Shovel Knockout they'll be fine. But WIWI seems like a commercial.

I couldn't agree more. Let's hope that WIWI is the only song on the album that sounds like that ;) SKO is actually looking really good.

Raw Craddle Of Filth? You're worried about COB becoming big yet you say Craddle Of Filth is raw? COF is the lamest attempt at making a black metal band that sells. There's nothing raw and not carefully studied to sell more about COF.

LOL yeah CoF is horrible save for a few songs. They're probaly one of the most commercial metal bands ever.

They have moved away from writing melodies and now it's all about riffs. That's what most bands in the genre do, and some do it better than Bodom. And yes, it sounds "mainstream" because everyone else is doing it. But there's hardly anyone better than Bodom at writing melodic lines and complex solos, so why they would choose not to capitalize on that baffles me. It doesn't have to be classical-influenced, but I'd like it if it were. And no, that's not easier. It's difficult to write a classical-inspired piece that sounds good but also new and fresh. If it were easy, everyone would be a Mozart.

Now, I'm not dissing for the sake of dissing. I'm simply seeing CoB go the downhill road many of my favourite bands have gone, and I'm not too happy about that. I'm just hoping that they use the new album to bring themselves out of it.

+1 It really happens, the natural cycle of bands, first you're personal but inexperienced, then you peak, then become mainstream and flop. Let's see if COB breaks that cycle with this album.

LOL yeah CoF is horrible save for a few songs. They're probaly one of the most commercial metal bands ever.

Their charm is in the commercial appearance combined with extreme music (esp. vocals) not many can listen to. I like the depth and mood in their music however pretentious it may seem sometimes, it's still entertaining at much of their songs, stuff I like to play in the background sometimes / have it playing but not pay full attention. Their weakness is they don't consider their material till the end and rather make 17 average tracks than 9 great tracks, and yes some of their stuff is fucking annoying but some of it is outright brilliant.

+1 It really happens, the natural cycle of bands, first you're personal but inexperienced, then you peak, then become mainstream and flop. Let's see if COB breaks that cycle with this album.

Yeah, I keep hoping my fav. bands would break out of the cycle but too few do. Let's see if CoB joins the proud few. Of course, there are bands that choose to never go into the cycle (like Bal-Sagoth), but they are unique.

Their charm is in the commercial appearance combined with extreme music (esp. vocals) not many can listen to. I like the depth and mood in their music however pretentious it may seem sometimes, it's still entertaining at much of their songs, stuff I like to play in the background sometimes / have it playing but not pay full attention. Their weakness is they don't consider their material till the end and rather make 17 average tracks than 9 great tracks, and yes some of their stuff is fucking annoying but some of it is outright brilliant.

IMO, CoF's strongest points is lyrics and how they fit them to music. I never got into them much musically, though they do have a few amazing tracks like "From Cradle to Enslave" or "Nymphetamine Overdose" (not the castrated Fix). I can see how they can be a gateway band to more extreme metal for some. If you do like the style and the vocals - do yourself a favor and listen to Hecate Enthroned.

Many solos even start with the same sweep picking pattern, and he did claim some of that as show off. (Well better that then selling out.)

Let's get this straight: there's no selling out! That's just something you're all making up because Alexi doesn't write neoclassical anymore, but it's not like he's listening to what sells now and modelling his riffs after that.

The second riff sounds like a rehash of BD

No it doesn't. Listen to the riff itself on COBTV pt3, listen again to the song and listen to Blooddrunk. It's played in the lower frets and strings, but it is not a rehash of BD, the pattern is not the same at all.

Once again, you're taking my argument as "new vs old" when it isn't. Why not allow for a third option?

I don't think what they've gone through after HCDR is evolution, it's devolution. Not all change is good. HCDR was a great album that sounded "heavier" than earlier stuff, and had moved away from classical influences more into blues influences. AYDY and BD simply sound like a more simplified, more "accessible" version thereof. And I'm not really sure where you all are getting the "complex harmonies" thing - I can't say I hear any; sure, the main chords are more embellished and those embellishments are now more often chromatic or pentatonic, but they haven't moved away much from the few basic chord progressions they like to use. If anything, the riffs now dwell more around the same function chords before moving on.

No I'm not, I'm saying you're failing to go deeper into it and are just focusing on the fact that there are no KTS or Needled 24/7 or YBOD style melodies, while not taking into account that they're incorporating that into the riffing and getting the harmonies and all into the riffs and getting Roope to play interesting stuff too instead of backing up Alexi with power chords like Ale used to do, and that to me is not devolution at all. Everybody is playing riffs because that's what music is, but there are riffs and riffs. A riff goes from the simple 3 chord proggression of American Idiot to the crazy things Necrophagist do, and in there you find the riffs you're calling generic (both guitars the same, not much variations, if harmonisation then all the time the same and mostly 5ths...), the over the top riffs some prog bands do and also COB's riffs, which combine heaviness with melody in a quite unique way. I am sorry but yes, if you have your theory down as good as Alexi and Janne do, you have your playing skills on and you have a good mind for music as they do, I don't think writing another neoclassical album would be much of a challenge to them.

I couldn't agree more. Let's hope that WIWI is the only song on the album that sounds like that ;) SKO is actually looking really good.

Again, none of you has actually heard WIWI, so let it go until you listen to the full song please. It's ok to talk about SK since we have actually heard most of the song (not in great quality, but we have and we got the ideas), but WIWI we only have under 20 seconds of song, that's nothing to judge on imo.

Glad we got on that one.

some of it is outright brilliant.

Name one song.

I think you're missing his point, which is that it seems to always just be the same arguments over and over again, which also end up usually being vague or skewing fact for personal taste.

Bingo. If you think anything this guy says hasn't been said before a million times then I don't know what to tell you. The fact he even bothers to type walls of texts repeating the same shit over for years is just an insight into his personal problems. Only thing worse than people that blatantly bash shit online are the crybabies who RUN in to defend it. It's not even a discussion of "Oh you don't like it? Well I do. Let's find a common ground." It's just "FUCK YOU YA YOW COBHC 4 LYFE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING HERE'S A MILLION EXAMPLES OF WHY YOUR OPINION IS WRONG."

Makes it really hard to read this forum. Sure we can be dicks for fun but the on topic is really sad because it's all from the heart. :lol:

Also, I think another point he makes, which I agree with, is to NOT take it so serious. If you don't like it, just stop listening and move on. Especially when the last album you liked was HB or FTR. It's been about 10 years since those albums came out, sometimes you just have to let it go. If you still like those albums, great, keep listening to them. If you don't like the newer albums, you still have the old music and no one is forcing you to like or listen to the new ones.

What the fuck are you babbling about? How is that a point to make? True or not, it's not some groundbreaking concept he just came up with to tell us all online. Obviously people KNOW this, but they don't LISTEN. And it's because it's fun to voice your opinion on a FORUM. Telling people what they should or should not do on a forum is kinda pointless. And yes, I am telling him to chill but that is more for his own benefit than anything else. When he has a stroke because someone said FtR was their last good CD I am gonna be blasting my Daler Mendhi CD laughing.

^No. Why would I go to Burzum's forum (I don't know if they have one but it was the first thing that came into my mind) to bitch about what I consider their retarded music and how much I hate it?

A forum is a place for everyone to come and voice opinions, GOOD OR BAD. You can't just whine that people who don't like the music come here to complain... where the fuck else are they gonna go? Your point makes no sense.
if you don't like it but are here to bring some new points or a somewhat interesting discussion to table, great, bring it on.

FYI, there hasn't been a "new" discussion about the GOOD VS. BAD Bodom camps in like 6 years or more.

But if you're just a butthurt "old shit" fan and haven't liked anything they've put out in the last 10 years and are going to say the same shit all over again, fuck off. This is NOT the Off-Topic section to bitch at everybody and be all retarded, this is the On-Topic section, here is where people that likes the band goes.

Actually... if you are talking about the band then it belongs ON-TOPIC... OFF-TOPIC doesn't mean "for people who don't lick the band's ass." Do you listen to yourself?

Also, it's really funny that two guys like you two (Chamet and Joe) who are never here happen to pop out always to point out how we jump at people saying things against the band when that's not true, but never to discuss actual things about COB and their current stuff.

This is because we can enjoy the band without it controlling our lives. We know the points people make, we went through it all 3 albums ago. We just read to keep ourselves updated but it's hard to find out much when there's 100 pages of you crying about people who talk shit about the band. Do what we do and IGNORE IT. ESPECIALLY if it's just the same old stuff over and over. If you know it's stupid, why reply?

/rant

Well I don't need them to make a FTR 2, I just don't want them to sell out. And yes, there IS selling out. A lot of bands do that.

"From Cradle to Enslave"

That's their commercial song. A bit like Her Ghost In the Fog.

Name one song.

Lord Abortion, Cthulhu Dawn, Promise of Fever, Gilded Cunt, Gabrielle, Heaven Torn Asunder, Shat Out of Hell, Darkness Incarnate... try them all and you'll love the band.

The only way you can "sell out" is to write music you don't believe in, to do it for the sole reason of making money (or to appease the fans rather than themselves) rather than any sort of creative expression and genuine inspiration.

Whether you like their (newer) music or not, CoB have never shown any indication of that.

Just because it may sound more accessible or commercial to you, doesn't necessarily mean they've sold out. Does "selling out" lead to those things? Sure, sometimes. Alternately, you could argue that an example to the contrary is the newest Metallica album, as it sounds a lot more like their earlier records (compared to Load, Reload, etc) and that's what so many fans wanted.

The point is, "selling out" has to do with the aim behind the music, rather than the music itself.

I've had to listen to Cradle of Filth quite a lot and "From Cradle to Enslave," "Cthulhu Dawn" and "Her Ghost in the Fog" were the only ones I liked a bit.

Anything else I cannot stand in the least. Dani Filths vocals are annoying.