religion

I think Christians should consider whether they're Christian only because they were raised to the religion.

I think Christians should consider whether they're Christian only because they were raised to the religion.

There was a famous Greek Sceptic who would refute his opponents' proofs of the existence of deities, only to justify his own belief by saying "if it was good enough for my father, it is good enough for me."

I don't label myself anything and I'm not particularly proud or anything about my religious standpoint. I suppose it wouldn't be wrong to call me an atheist. I don't actually believe there's anything up in the sky besides natural particles, air, clouds etc. I believe in what I think sounds reasonable - or what I can see and hear. For instance I don't believe in history based on stories - but on documents.

I'm not bothered about other peoples' beliefs as long as they don't affect me or my way of living - or my society (in a way I perceive to be intrusive/disruptive). For instance kids not getting served pork at some school because of muslim belief, to me, is almost aggravating. Any religious food regulation is dumb as shit.
So is mixing politics with religion. Or mixing any public institution and religious laws. Law of the state, equality and rationality above all.

I think the idea of living a certain way, following certain rites or something like that, purely based on religious scripture or teachings, is irrational... and bluntly put -- stupid. That said, I find some (especially Christian) religious morals to be good and constructive. Like, be nice to each other. Stuff like that is all good. "Declare war on non-believers", "Don't eat this food", "Pray to me x times a day", shit like that is stupid. I guess I'm an islamophobe?

I'm Swedish so naturally my viewpoint is influenced by the society I live in.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=least+religious+part+of+the+world
It seems Estonia, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and that general area of the world is the least religious. In politics, Sweden has 1 party with a history of religious dabbling (although they never really mention it anymore because no-one seems to like it - the most religious thing about them today is their name, "kristdemokraterna" [christian democrats]) -- and they will most likely exit the Riksdag next election because the generation still voting for them is dying out.

The "Christian morals" that we still hold on to are the tiny minority from the bible that actually make sense. Most of the moral teachings in the bible are very questionable.

There was a famous Greek Sceptic who would refute his opponents' proofs of the existence of deities, only to justify his own belief by saying "if it was good enough for my father, it is good enough for me."

I find this a weak and illogical argument not worth discussing.

I find this a weak and illogical argument not worth discussing.

It's not an argument - part of being a Sceptic is understanding how to live when arguments end. Interesting, anyway, and I often wonder for those who demand argument how well they can argue for or even understand their most basic beliefs...

I'm sure Islam has some highlights. But Christianity has been "modernized", at least in Sweden. Now the church is all about equality, gay rights, shelter for the homeless, protection for the weak etc. Islam on the other hand is an imported product. It doesn't fit with modern western society, and does nothing to support and build it outside its own bubble.

I've walked a long path, from being raised Catholic by my mother, to falling into the trap of science, to finding the right path. I stay away from modernized religion and hold true to God's word.

Islam is something we must all not ignore.

Well there's a big difference between catholics and protestants. There are no (native) catholics in Sweden as they were banned from the country during the 1800s. Christianity in Sweden is all protestantism. Except for immigrants I suppose.

What the hell is the "trap of science"? :err:
Didn't you know that so called "Science" is just a Satanic Atheist conspiracy to tempt people away from God?

I mean, you can't seriously be buying all the "gravity" bullshit, can you?

- Islam and Christianity are both equally and terminally twisted. Religions are miserably failed attempts at spirituality.

- Modernized [insert name of religion] is an oxymoron.

- Too stupid to understand science? Try religion.

- It's just a ride.

Last edited by a moderator: