religion

:headbang:

(Yeah I don't think conspiracy theorists are the best "thinkers" out there though, sorry. :lol: I think what they do best is coming up with a lot of bullshit and diverting people from the real problems.)

While at it, let's make this thread more about metal songs that criticize narrow minded religious/philosophical/etc attitudes and whatnot. (no silly "satanic"/immature stuff please)

Some of my favorites:

Last edited by a moderator:
IQ - Failsafe

Sieges Even - What's Up God?

ELP - The Only Way

Fates Warning - Exodus

King Crimson - The Great Deceiver

Lol yeah idk.

So which religion is the most ridiculous/stupid/etc? Don't say all of them! You can only pick 1! Muahahahaha

I've always thought mormons were pretty weird.

I would have to say the highly protestant forms of Christianity such as Baptists and Methodists that plague the southeastern/bible belt area of the United States. They are well known for being very vocal about their beliefs and pushing them onto others/non-believers. I am one of those who don't care what others believe as long as they keep it to themselves and not try to push it onto others, which they do the exact opposite of. Also, they all seem to think that we are all sinners from birth and always will be no matter what, and the only way to not burn in Hell is to believe in their specific (not Christianity in general) religion. For example, even though Baptists and Methodists both believe this, each will say that you have to be their religion over the other.

They also are infamous for creating, publishing, and printing some quite laughable "literature" in the form of little comic-like skits about people (even small children) falling/burning into the flames of Hell for things such as not accepting Jesus, not believing in their particular form of Christianity, and falling for the Devil's tricks that come in the form of music, video games, television, movies, sex, and education. Yes, there was actually one I read that was demonizing education because they want to keep people stupid enough to believe their crap!

I have one more interesting story here about this issue. My whole family started going to a Catholic church, and did so for many years, when I was about 10 because my grandparents were heavily practicing Catholics (it's the Polish bloodline I guess). Anyway, a couple of years ago my sister got married to a guy whose parents are of one of these protestant forms of Christianity, and because they didn't live close by my parents had to meet them for the first time after the engagement. His parents asked mine what religion they practiced, and even though they hadn't gone to church in years my mom said Catholic in order to oblige them. His mom then looked at her kind of funny and said something along the lines of "what's that?" or "isn't that some sort of satanist religion?". My mom wanted to laugh so bad knowing that Catholicism is pretty much the base of all Christianity; therefore, the origin of of this woman's own religion. Seriously, the people who believe in these protestant religions are always from the boonies/farms/middle of nowhere places in states such as Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc.., where its easy to brainwash people into believing such ridiculous things..

Sorry for the long post but I just had to point out the craziness of these people.

Here is my addition to anti-religous metal songs:

I was raised muslim growing up in Kuwait. Didn't really care about it but mom (seventh day adventist) and dad (muslim) always tried to make me follow their religions. Ended up being confused.

When I left home for college I felt guilty and started doing research on the religions. The more I read of the bible and quran the more I didn't want to be associated with it.

Since then haven't even thought about it. It's been three years... but in the last six months I've been doing a lot of research and I can gladly say I'm an atheist. I'm not one of those vocal asshole atheists... I don't really care, it doesn't affect my life in any way, and I don't care if others want to have faith in things. All I know is that none of this religious stuff, nor God, can be proven, and even the legitimacy of many of these religious books can't be proven. I still don't personally eat pork or drink though, but that's just because every beer I've ever had tasted awful and I genuinely don't like pork and it gives me a stomach ache every time I eat it.

But there are peeves that I have when it comes to religion that does make me care, like for instance if a person's life is saved by a doctor and all the people who helped him get to that doctor, and all the person ever says is "thank god," and "if it weren't for god," and "god is the one who saved me." What about the people who helped you get to the doctor and the doctor himself who used modern medical sciences to save your life? That's just one example...

I also don't like how people interject religion/god(s) into politics, government, and especially laws.

^---On a related note, I've noticed how some people treat praying as some kind of justification for apathy. They act like they get to feel good about themselves because they're, for example, praying for the poor people in third world countries, even though they aren't actually doing anything to help.

bible-disclaimer-label.png

^+1

Wasn't it the Christians that were supposed to classify homosexuality among things like that?

the book of Leviticus is the earliest "rule book" to have a rule against homosexuality
before that, no one had had problem with gay people

I don't.

While it may contain all of those things listed, the "exposure warning" is ridiculous. The thinking human is capable of rational discourse and critically evaluating what they read. In fact, while there are contradictory passages, there are nevertheless arguments for and against those things listed, mostly against. Taken as a whole, it isn't as hateful a work as its use has become in the hands of unthinking humans.

you will find these themes in every holy book. humanity has always struggled with the difficult questions, the socially challenging questions, and appealed to a higher order to help answer their fears. picking on the bible for violent themes is like picking on a lawnmower for having blades. Yes, they are sharp. Yes, they can kill you. Most of the time, they don't because the person using it isn't a complete fucktard. You just have to be mindful of the danger that can arise from improper use.

Edit: the second picture also has numerous grammatical fuckups. These things were probably written by uneducated angsty teens - or - middle aged unemployed.

I don't.

While it may contain all of those things listed, the "exposure warning" is ridiculous. The thinking human is capable of rational discourse and critically evaluating what they read. In fact, while there are contradictory passages, there are nevertheless arguments for and against those things listed, mostly against. Taken as a whole, it isn't as hateful a work as its use has become in the hands of unthinking humans.

you will find these themes in every holy book. humanity has always struggled with the difficult questions, the socially challenging questions, and appealed to a higher order to help answer their fears. picking on the bible for violent themes is like picking on a lawnmower for having blades. Yes, they are sharp. Yes, they can kill you. Most of the time, they don't because the person using it isn't a complete fucktard. You just have to be mindful of the danger that can arise from improper use.

Edit: the second picture also has numerous grammatical fuckups. These things were probably written by uneducated angsty teens - or - middle aged unemployed.

would you give a lawnmower to a monkey?
of course not
the monkey would cut himself really badly on the blades instead of successfully moving the lawn
that's the kind of thing that happens when humans assume the bible is real instead of realizing that the bible is fiction
straight people using leviticus 18:22 to beat gay people to a bloody pulp,
married men using verses in Genisis and the New Testament to treat their wives like slaves
white people using the story of David and Goliath as an excuse for racism
people feeding the homeless using Mathew 28:16-20 as a reason for giving a Christian sermon before giving food/clothes to pagan homeless people
horny teenagers denying themselves sex because they're not married yet
horny people in their early 20s getting married just so they can get laid
gay people committing suicide because being gay is a "sin"
The Pope trying to kill all the pagans during "The Crusades"

this is the shit that happens when people read a fiction book and think that it's real

would you give a lawnmower to a monkey?
of course not
the monkey would cut himself really badly on the blades instead of successfully moving the lawn
that's the kind of thing that happens when humans assume the bible is real instead of realizing that the bible is fiction
straight people using leviticus 18:22 to beat gay people to a bloody pulp,
married men using verses in Genisis and the New Testament to treat their wives like slaves
white people using the story of David and Goliath as an excuse for racism
people feeding the homeless using Mathew 28:16-20 as a reason for giving a before giving food/clothes to pagan homeless people
horny teenagers denying themselves sex because they're not married yet
horny people in their early 20s getting married just so they can get laid
gay people committing suicide because being gay is a "sin"
The Pope trying to kill all the pagans during "The Crusades"

this is the shit that happens when people read a fiction book and think that it's real

Wow, dude... You should be offended with those people and not with just a simple book... Come on, you´re talking about it like it has some kind of "mystical power" that makes you act like a monkey with a lawnmower if you dare to read at least a complete versicle.

I´m sorry man, but you can´t blame human stupidity on a book.

Mild theists and atheists are fine. But fanatics in both sides are the ones who have fucked up the religion subject.

Also, there is a lot of people intrinsically capable of stupid things. They don´t need catalizers (like the Bible, for example) to act like that. They might need a justification though, and "I´m going to heaven" (following that example) seems to work fine.

It sounds like monoxide_child needs a history lesson, but I'm not going to blather on for 50 pages in yet another religion thread.

Suffice to say jumping to conclusions is a really fun game that gives others the impression you wanted to be a lemming when you grew up, and succeeded.

but if I REALLY wanted to exact a low-blow, I'd say this to him: as a fan of "Spider Man" he should be familiar with the power/responsibility relationship, and the argument he is positing is that responsibility should be pushed onto an inanimate object instead.

PostScript: It's much more intriguing and entertaining to instead discuss the metastructure of religion as a whole than to pick on a particular sect. But it's so difficult to keep a topic of that sort focused when the uneducated wrecking balls home in on it to blast their soundbytes.

As much as I dislike religion, I find I have to consciously stop myself from seeing it as the enemy, just one primitive form of spirituality that humanity has to outgrow. Unfortunately too much has been invested in it (and in a system that does not promote free and critical thinking) that it's going to take a while, but - unless we destroy ourselves first - it's going to happen. You can't suspend evolution.

Meanwhile there are other issues more crucial to our survival, but that's something most atheist and science fanatics are too stupid to see. Which is ironic because they're supposed to be the smart ones, at least they think they are.