Revalver as convolution reverb

Norris-wf

Sep 27, 2007
Durham, UK
I've searched already and couldn't find anything specific on this topic. I would like to start trying out impulses and from what I can find SIR2 is my best option, but I am also interested in revalver III. Does anyone use revalver just for running impulses through and how would it compare to SIR2. The added features in revalver would be handy, but if I wanted to use impulses with my JSX, would SIR 2 be the best option?

Have you thought about Voxengo Boogex? It's free and I prefer it over all the plugins I've tried for impulses.

To use it with your jsx, just turn down all the poweramp options in boogex to 0%.

I've got revalver and I wouldn't recommend it just for the cab simulator. It is awesome, though, if you want something silent.

The problem is that I'm running a mac, and as far as I can remember, boogex is pc only. Maybe SIR is the best so for just IRs. I'm thinking betweeb revalver and an e530 so a good IR would be nice

He can't, he is using Cubase which is VST only, LAConvolver is AU.

To the OP... the impulse loader in ReValver sucks man, I highly suggest you get the MellowMuse IR1A, it's $50 and has way better sound quality. I had MKIII and I bought IR1A a while back, the same impulse will sound really different between MKIII and IR1A, but MKIII sounds bad in comparison. You should download the demo for both of them and try it out for yourself.

Maybe try LAConvolver?
It's freeware, I use it all the time

Thats AU only, afaik, where cubase is vst only. It seems to be the gereral concensus that if I want to run IRs that a seperate plugin is better than using revalver so I'll get a dedicated one instead. Cheers for all the help

I went ahead and bought the IR1A and I'm very impressed with it. I only just saw the one above now, but it's the same price anyways, just didnt see it in time. Thanks for all the advice

I like the Revalver IR, while it may not be the best, it is extremely stable, can have low latency without murdering your CPU like SIR2 can as well as it adds harmonic distortion to the impulse to give a more realistic feel, while the speaker distortion is crap, having it on just slightly adds a realism of harmonic content that seems to be lost in impulses.

This is true, it's a pretty low usage impulse loader. But, I gotta say that MellowMuse IR1A is about the same load on the processor and sounds better as well.