Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragodeia), final chorus?

heddan

New Metal Member
Jun 28, 2007
Hi! I'm new to this forum and fairly new to symphony x (have been listening to them for about a year). Truly an amazing band!

To the point.
The other day, while listening to "Paradise Lost", i noticed something weird in the last chorus of "Revelation". It sounds like Allen's singing, but i doubt that. I'm convinced there is someone else singing the last phrases: "Lost in the night, wandering alone", etc. Strange it is!

Ideas?

/J

its still him, it just sounds a lot thinner than earlier in that chorus, as in the first bit he is double tracked, then there are loads of russels, then a growly bit, and so when the "lost in the night" comes back in and it is single tracked, not double tracked, and he isnt singing growly, it is suddenly a very different texture. but i do understand what you mean.

its still him, it just sounds a lot thinner than earlier in that chorus, as in the first bit he is double tracked, then there are loads of russels, then a growly bit, and so when the "lost in the night" comes back in and it is single tracked, not double tracked, and he isnt singing growly, it is suddenly a very different texture. but i do understand what you mean.

Ah. Clears things up. Yet, it would be pretty dam cool if another member sang that part..

Cheers
/J

Its him singing its just that its a single voice instead of more than one in the previous choruses, and he is almost speaking the part, which adds to the total effect.

Yeah, Russel actually uses quite a lot of layering his voice in Symph X CD's. And he does it well. I guess there's no one else who could sing back vocals in the band. :p

I did notice the change in the final chorus as well, the first time I listened to the song.

I'm pretty sure it's just that the vocal isn't layered, or have any effects on it (or possibly the exact opposite).

It actually kind of sounds the way Russell's vocals on Atomic Soul sound, production-wise.

I appreciate the replies! Yet, I don't really understand the purpose with layering? Is it a way to get like a "thicker" sound? Or to create some sort of choir?

Welcome to the forum, heddan. :)

Many thanks!

/J