Rhapsody

Shadowdance

Jun 22, 2002
Chicago,Il
Visit site
I was just wondering if anybody outhere likes this band.I personally love them but just about anybody else I know hates them.They say they're either too cheese or sound too gay,I can't belive it!First time I heard them was like a year ago.The first album I heard was Dawn Of Victory and I just got Power Of The Dragon Flame like two weeks ago and stills in my cd player,I haven't been so excited about a band since Maiden(my alltime favorite band)so I like to know what you guys think of them.

they're right, Rhapsody's just the poor man's power metal, and yes, the lyrics are some of the cheesiest ever.

I can agree with your argument about the lyrics but then again I never look up to metal(at least for the most part)for any mind challenging comentary.Most metal bands of any genere have stupid,cheesy lyrics.About the music,I just think they're incredibly talented!and deserve more recognition.

well, their musicianship is pretty poor as well, the songs may be catchy, but the sinfonic parts are not very well arranged or complex at all, IMO.

And yes, there are metal bands with mind challenging lyrics, check out Dark Tranquillity ;)

I agree. What´s up with a band that all they can sing about are castles, swords and dragons?

The songs are catchy, indeed, but they are all alike. You listened to one of them, you listened to them all.

you can notice that there´s a lot of kids that like Rhapsody, ´cause they are a easy kind of metal. I guess they work as a gate to metal, the kids listen to them, then Blind Guardian, and so on, untill they define their tastes in metal.

Not to mention the booklets pics, where they appear as they´ve just fought a dragon. LoL.

I totally disagree with you guys,first of I don't think their musicianship is poor at all.I belive they're all very talented and all the orchestrations in the albums are very well done,music doens't have to be complicated to be good althogh I belive theirs is.About singing about castles and dragons,well I guess Dio is a geek too then or Blind Guardian,I don't find it too apealing either but is just a topic they chose just like many sing about gore and satanism witch I find even more retarded.Somebody mention Dark Tranquility's lirycs before and even thogh I love this band I think their lirycs are poorly written.About been a portal for newer fans I can't find that anything but really positive for the scene but I belive that people that whant to get into metal that never listen to it before are more likely to listen to bigger bands like Priest or Maiden or even Metallica for that instance.

lol i know their lyrix r kinda cheesy.. they r weird and have all that stuff about castles, dragons and swords, but still, i LOVE them :)
i love medieval times and those things.. and Rhapsody has even some classical music stuff too thats why i love them :D

Well, you see, Blind Guardian is not locked at mediavalism like Rhapsody.
And come on, do not even compare Dark Tranquillity to Rhapsody, there´s a huge abyss between them. There´s no way of Dark Tranquillity to wright worst lyrics than a band that only wright about dragons/castles/swords.
And I´ve never said that being a portal to metal was a bad thing at all.

It´s all about taste, but imo, metal is more than catchy melody, silly choirs and "I´ll kill tha evil bastards in hounor of our King"

Hey there Vicious I thik I should clarify something here for you.First of all I never said Blind Guardian is stuck wrinting madiaval songs all the time but they do touch that sudject here and there that was just an example,second noone here is comparing Rhapsody to Dark Tranquility,somebody else before brought up the lyrical content of their songs and my answer to that was that I don't think their lyrics are well written.I never said whether they are better or worst in my opinion I don't care for the both of them.I also would never compair the two bands because like you said theres an eternity betweem them.So maybe next time you should read a little better and then try to make a valid point!!
Ps: you seem to know their lyrics pretty well for someone that doesn't like them,me I can't even quote them 'cos like I said before I don't care for their lyrics.I just love the music!

First of all I never said Blind Guardian is stuck wrinting madiaval songs all the time

I know, but Rhapsody is stucked in the theme.

noone here is comparing Rhapsody to Dark Tranquility

Well, you mentioned the band, so if you are not comparing them, sou you are stating (and you are) that you dont care about lyrics.

I know Rhapsody lyrics, of course. I wonder how can you listen to the music but not the lyrics. There´s no need of big knowledgements about a band to know the lyrics. And Rhapsody is even easier, ´cause they wrote about the very same thing in all their albuns.

All in all, if you state you dont care about the lyrics, dont take it bad, but lyrics are a fundamental part in a music, what kind of fan you are if you dont care about lyrics?

Please, dont get pissed, I´m just giving my opinion, as you are giving yours.

Hi there Vicious,I know this is problably getting a little old all that he said,she said,you said,I said conversation but let me torture you one more time.The reason Dark Tranquility came up was because I replied to Thanatos post about the Rhapsody lyrics saying that I never look up to metal for mind challenging lyrics for the most part and he sugested checking out Dark Tranquility's lyrics thats all. About being the kind of fan that I am well I guess I should tell you a little about me.I've been listening to Metal since I was 10 thats '86.English is not my first language,spanish is,I didn't learn english(and still have not,yet)till I was 13 but yet I had been listening to Metal misic for three years mostly in English.The thing that atracted me to this music was the misic it self,the heavyness,the brutality,the speed,and the rebelious image of it and not the lyrics 'cos I had no idea what they were saying.After I could understand the lyrics sure it was cool to know what they were saying and sure I liked some of them but for the most part they weren't all that exciting in my opinion.I guess I should tell you that the lyrics I like from Metal bands are the ones that have more of a socio-political theme to it,back in high school when I was piss off all the time I loved(and still do)lyrics from bands like Napalm Death,Kreator,Metallica,Anthrax,Megadeth,some punk stuff and countless others,unfortunately now days most bands only write to see who can be the most gross,the most evil or even the most mediaval hahahaha!!! and thats alittle to silly for me.Some of the bands that I mentioned before may just got older or I don't know what but they don't write as they used to.About been piss ,ofcourse no why would I be?like yuo said we're just expresing our opinions thats what this forums are for and if I couldn't take alittle critisim then I should've never post this thread.I also want to thank you and the others for replying.

you´re welcome.

uhn, I guess you´re in your rights, but for me lyrisc are essencial. English is not my first language neither, portuguese is. But even when I couldnt understand it, it wasnt that hard to find a translation, or ask for someone else translate it. It´s pretty odd listen to a music having no idea what is the singer talking about, in my opinion. And if it´s all about the sound, there are many bands that play better than Rhapsody.

Weel, the point is that I really dont like Rhapsody, for me they are the cheesiest band ever, but if you like, it´s none of my bussines at all.

rhapsody rlz
i love their song and lyrics
yes they only talk about mediavel things ,and it is because of it that i love them, you see i love mediavel things and themes and i play RPG heheheh ,so i like very much this kind of lyrics, and other thing i liked is that they tell a history in their cds

Originally posted by Shadowdance
(...) unfortunately now days most bands only write to see who can be the most gross,the most evil or even the most mediaval hahahaha!!! and thats alittle to silly for me.Some of the bands that I mentioned before may just got older or I don't know what but they don't write as they used to.About been piss ,ofcourse no why would I be? (...)

The bands you named there were great ones, but with time they didn't matured (mostly at least) and became just a base for new bands. If im not mistaken you said something about metal became stagnant but that's utterly untrue, new bands are gathering their efforts to stop this bullshit of "true" metalheads who can only say "FUKI'N BRUTAL".

Rhapsody in my humble opinion do have good music, but damm... the dragons corny stuff ruins everything... even though i can enjoy some of their music.... let's not talk about their video-clips, people fighting for good and evil, flaming swords... c'mon... thats way o dreamy... (i would say gay but...)