rock bands that can play as well as metal bands

Don't talk shite. I merely said that not all metal bands are incredibly technical, which is true. Bands like Death, Nile, even Megadeth are incredibly good on their instruments but not all metal bands play stuff like that (even if they can).

Connauch said:
King Crimson (were metal at times)
Rush(Caress of Steel was pretty metal)
Hawkwind
Yes
Led Zeppelin
Genesis
Cream(I consider them early Metal)
Van Halen(same as above)
AC DC(and above!)
Kansas
Jethro Tull

as a general statement, most classic prog bands could play as well/outdo current metal bands

Tindor said:
compared to most metal,rock is pretty simplistic, what rock bands other then post rock, and prog rock bands can outplay metal bands?

Read, comprehend, post.

The Doors, definitely.

Actually, with that insane fingerpicking, I wonder...U2 would actually make for a pretty cool metal band.

Uhhh...The Edge was once a fairly innovative guitarist but there is no way in hell U2 could pull off anything resembling metal.

Also, Faith No More and Primus.

LordFireworm said:
Uhhh...The Edge was once a fairly innovative guitarist but there is no way in hell U2 could pull off anything resembling metal.

Also, Faith No More and Primus.
I don't know...if U2 turned up the distortion and turned down the intelligence, they could play some pretty n3kkro metal.

And Faith No More were already plenty metal.

LordFireworm said:
Not really.They had their metal moments but they were really just a hard rock band.
And an incredible hard rock band at that.
Okay. I guess they'd always been good enough to play metal like the thread implies, and I'm just too lazy to care about the difference.

If Queens of the Stone Age rocked a little harder, they could pass for some form of metal. I haven't heard Kyuss, but judging from the driving rhythm section on QotSA's Songs for the Deaf, if you hardened up the vox, it would be metal-ish. All Punk bands have a tendency toward Metal because they have that edge and some of them are pure protesting screamers with nothing better to do than play three chords behind it all, lol.

LuminousAether said:
Whoever said Fuel: LOL YOU SUCK
Listen punk. You were still shitting yellow when I started listening to metal and playing guitar. I saw Guns and Roses on the "Appetite fo Destruction" tour. Dio on "The Last in Line tour," Slayer on the "South of Heaven" tour just to name a few. I have forgotten more about metal music than you will ever know. :err:

Bryant

Luminous is always getting along with people, the guy just knows how to rub people the right way. DOnt sweat it Bryant. :headbang:

Bryant said:
Listen punk. You were still shitting yellow when I started listening to metal and playing guitar. I saw Guns and Roses on the "Appetite fo Destruction" tour. Dio on "The Last in Line tour," Slayer on the "South of Heaven" tour just to name a few. I have forgotten more about metal music than you will ever know. :err:

Bryant
Hah, shut up.

[Edit: I dislike it when people use their age to validate their taste. "I'm older than you, therefore I don't suck." No.]

Well jesus everyone has sacred opinions and tastes around here, that are always better than everyone elses. Subjectivity seems to be lost on many of the posters at this board. And yes in my subjective opinion, the beach boys could have been a killer metal band.

Flaming Death said:
the question is why does someone have to validate their taste? Fuel is just as good answer as anything else that can be given.
They don't have to validate it - but if they do, they shouldn't bring their age into it.